An open request to Morrissey / Merck

Jukebox Jury

Retired
I've thought all day about posting this, so here goes:eek:

This is only my personal thoughts but I am confident many, many others will agree with me and hopefully add their comments to the post for you to read.

Morrissey / Merck

At least we now know that this website is checked regularily between your parties, so hopefully you will read this and consider the following?

Gig dates:
1. Can you please announce all dates being planned for the new year in one go? There are a lot of us running around, arranging travel and hotels etc for the dates announced so far and then may find gigs are being played a lot nearer to where we live. Particularly at this time of year, money is short, so please just give us all the dates so we can make a more informed choice as to what gigs we wish to attend.

2. Greatest hits album.
If you must release a greatest hits / compilation album, please do not include new material on it. The die hards have all of the previous stuff (most likely on various formats too) and personally I would only download (legally) the new songs and not purchase the album.

3. Manchester v Cancer
I know there may be an issue with Andy Rourke who organises the event, but please consider playing at this gig on February 23rd 2008 at the MEN Arena. This is the third such gig and so far all of the 'Manc Rock Legends' have appeared, with maybe James being the only 'Big Name' artist / band not to have appeared as well as yourself. It would certainly be a greater event with you appearing there.

I do hope you will consider the above and good luck with the forthcoming tour, new studio album and taking the NME to the cleaners!

Jukebox Jury

I agree with all except new content on the greatest hits...because knowing album production logic that will mean those tracks will then have to be on the new album possibly bumping back as of yet unknown songs to b-side status

Well said Phill - especially point one. I know we all rush for tickets when they are available, and the pot is diluted by having many at once, but, at least if we knew about Carlisle, Manchester etc, it would be a help. And point three - yes.

Peter

one million percent backing from me too

I am getting married in march and can at present hardly afford to leave the house let alone head down to london , i booked tickets to go to the roundhouse as i thought it would be the only chance to see the show, so i was pretty stunned when i found out about the edinburgh show. Obviously i have a choice and the more shows the better but i think announcing the tour would have helped me a great deal.

(on the plus side thanks for not playing scotland in march , thewedding would have be off if you had , as im not going to vegas if morrisseys playing in my mannor)

Gig dates:
1. Can you please announce all dates being planned for the new year in one go? There are a lot of us running around, arranging travel and hotels etc for the dates announced so far and then may find gigs are being played a lot nearer to where we live. Particularly at this time of year, money is short, so please just give us all the dates so we can make a more informed choice as to what gigs we wish to attend.
If they do this way it is possible that not all the shows sell out, perhaps.
But you were not asking why.

2. Greatest hits album.
If you must release a greatest hits / compilation album, please do not include new material on it. The die hards have all of the previous stuff (most likely on various formats too) and personally I would only download (legally) the new songs and not purchase the album.

Instead of a Greatest Hits, let's opt for a World of Morrissey II and clean up the leftovers. How about a studio version of the banjo driven Everyday Is Like Sunday? Honey Who Know Where To Find Me, a studio cut of Redondo Beach, I'm Playing Easy to Get, a studio cover of Saturday Drive-In, plus the two new tunes. That I would buy gladly. As far as I can tell there are already so many Moz Greatest Hits albums out, the next one would have to focus on YATQ and ROTT. Sorry, I just bought those albums, there is no need to release a Greatest Hits album with tracks from those albums.

What say ye?

Instead of a Greatest Hits, let's opt for a World of Morrissey II and clean up the leftovers. How about a studio version of the banjo driven Everyday Is Like Sunday? Honey Who Know Where To Find Me, a studio cut of Redondo Beach, I'm Playing Easy to Get, a studio cover of Saturday Drive-In, plus the two new tunes. That I would buy gladly. As far as I can tell there are already so many Moz Greatest Hits albums out, the next one would have to focus on YATQ and ROTT. Sorry, I just bought those albums, there is no need to release a Greatest Hits album with tracks from those albums.

What say ye?

I says this...

Honey You Know Where To Find Me
Kit
I Know Who I Love
I'm Not Worth Hitting
You Should Have Been Nice To Me
Safe Warm Lancashire Home
Kill Uncle

and so forth...

Peter

don't wish to be the pisser in the wind but I'm of the opinion that the gigs get added slightly on an ad-hoc basis, I've got some set lists from the ringleaders UK tour 06 & originally it was s'pose to end after the London gig in May & then the G-Mex gigs became the end but it didn't stop there did it. Yes I agree I'd like to know when to book leave from work a bit more (& save money up etc).
So thanks Moz for continuing to gig & long may you continue ad-hoc or otherwise :)

I'm a saddo that needs to have all the releases so if it's a greatest hits with a few new tracks on it I'll have it, please.

yep Moz to play the Manc v cancer would be excellent, so if that could be arranged please do it.

love

Grim
P.s. see you after x-mas

I would agree with the greatest hits view +
the gigs being announce all at once,
but as someone who as been to both m+c gigs,
i had a prang of conscience going to the gigs
because most if not all the money raised go's to
cancer research not care, so it is without doubt
a fair portion of that is used in animal testing
it is just a thought but morrissey may think that
way too,i am not saying it is wrong to do the gig for
this but it does make you question it,
yes we are all touched by cancer i lost my dad to
it so i know the feeling of loss,
JUST A THOUGHT.

How about a studio version of the banjo driven Everyday Is Like Sunday?

so i'm not the only one? i'd gladly pay full price for just that track.

since we're on the subject (sorta) i'd like to hear studio versions of his older solo stuff and Smiths tunes redone with his new band.

Oh and Moz... while you and Merck are reading all this and taking notes... don't forget that over in the frink thread somebody asked you to wear green a few weeks back.

Oh and Moz... while you and Merck are reading all this and taking notes... don't forget that over in the frink thread somebody asked you to wear green a few weeks back.

Yeah, yeah trivialize it. But seriously, are you going to purchase another Greatest Hits album? I didn't even buy the first! In the age of iTunes, I'll simply download the two new tracks. Why not give us something we'd actually want to buy?:confused:

Yeah, yeah trivialize it. But seriously, are you going to purchase another Greatest Hits album? I didn't even buy the first! In the age of iTunes, I'll simply download the two new tracks. Why not give us something we'd actually want to buy?:confused:

US iTunes had "Lost" as an album-only download on the 2000 Rhino Best of, so I had to buy the physical disc after all. I doubt that any new greatest-hits would be any different.

Back
Top Bottom