Andy Rourke chats to Huffington Post

G

goinghome

Salvatore Bono, blogger with The Huffington Post, has conducted a low-yield if affable interview with Andy Rourke:

- When it comes to icons of the indie world, none are bigger and get more credit than The Smiths. During their time together from 1982-1987, the band transformed the decade's musical scene with their swagger, style and sound. Today, decades later, their music continues to do the same. The band has not played together since their famous split, and fans have waited for them to reunite through famous feuds and fights, though it looks as if it may never happen.

However, since the fall of The Smiths, the members of the band have had very successful solo careers, as singer Morrissey has had a string of hits as a solo artist; guitarist Johnny Marr has released many solo projects, as well as playing with bands such as Oasis, Modest Mouse and The Cribs; drummer Mike Joyce has played with many bands and artists such as Morrissey himself, Sinead O'Connor, Suede, Public Image LTD and Buzzcocks. While bassist Andy Rourke has also played in various bands and projects such as Sinead O'Connor, Morrissey, The Pretenders and Badly Drawn Boy, these days he can be heard DJing on East Village Radio and at various nightclubs, doing remixes for artists and enjoying his life to the max.

In our interview, Mr. Rourke opens up about his time in Manchester's iconic band, the 80's music scene, music today and his current endeavors -- but do not expect a Smiths reunion anytime soon.

What was the Manchester music scene like when you were coming of age?
AR: It was virtually nonexistent! Apart from Sad Cafe and 10cc, Thin Lizzy... luckily I liked all of these bands. I was learning guitar and bass, so I took all the good things I liked from these musicians; that is what makes music go round and around. Everybody takes their influences from their peers. It is perpetual...." :guitar:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/salvatore-bono/catching-up-with-andy-rou_b_819098.html

Back
Top Bottom