Anonymous posting

Strangely, out of all the blogs, forums, news websites I visit, this is the only site that allows this type of behavior, and the only site with a reputation for this. On every single other website I visit, I usually enjoy going through the comments.

Can you give a few examples of these sites? Preferably music/artist-related - I'd like to look at their comment system.

From Boz Boorers facebook page recent post.

Chris Solorzano
You guys should wear a shirt that says" f*** Morrissey-solo.com"
Yesterday at 03:26 · Like ·

Matty Ellis likes this.
Oliver Ulbrich It's sad to see what has become of the solo forum. Some people there seem to enjoy bitching around more than than they enjoy Morrissey.
Yesterday at 06:15 · Like

Chris Solorzano Yeah, there was some bad talk about the three new Moz songs. Insulting Jesse and Boz.
Yesterday at 07:51 · Like

Boz Boorer I agree, it's not really a Morrissey fan site, someone should start a new one and leave that one for the people who just want to write stupid insults annonomously.
21 hours ago · Like · 6 people

Oliver Ulbrich There still is a loyal fanbase over at the solo forum, including me ... but as usual, the bullies are more vocal. And it's even worse on the frontpage forum, where people can post anonymously. It's probably better to ignore them ... they will find something to complain about no matter what!
21 hours ago · Like

Claire Guest People who write such dross are not fans - how can they possibly be? and therefore it makes me wonder why they can even be bothered to write it in the first place. There's plenty of artists & bands I don't like, but I'd never slate them just because it's not my taste.
19 hours ago · Like

Julie Ryan Boz - allyouneedismorrissey.com. No anonymity allowed. Everyone is very NICE and supportive and there are lots of interesting threads, including tour pics, updates, etc. It's a true FAN site. xoxo
16 hours ago · Like

Julie Ryan There were 120+ people online during the opening night in Perth. We discuss concerts / post pics in real time, when possible. It's fun for those of us who can't be there. The tour threads have been averaging 2 thousand views, which ain't bad for a new site.
16 hours ago · Like

Boz Boorer
I must agree, I personally don't have the time or the inclination to post onto certain people's sites how droll and ineffectual I find their music, I will wait until I see them one day and tell them personally, everyone should leave the site of which we daren't utter their name and move onto sunnier climes. I am not afraid of criticism, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the anonymity of abusive slander is pointless and I must apologise for giving it too much attention, but that's what they're so seemingly after, so after this evening, I will pay it no mind. sleep easy... BB
8 hours ago · Like · 2 people

Chris Solorzano Very well said Boz
7 hours ago · Like

Appears to be an issue far and wide.

A user name is different to anonymity, particularly for long term site users. The facebook comments on Boz's page I found troubling. I am dissapointed that this site is turning people off joining in what could be a good conversational place.
I have to agree that the anonymous posts really don't seem to add anything.

"I agree, it's not really a Morrissey fan site, someone should start a new one and leave that one for the people who just want to write stupid insults annonomously.... I am not afraid of criticism, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the anonymity of abusive slander is pointless and I must apologise for giving it too much attention, but that's what they're so seemingly after, so after this evening, I will pay it no mind. sleep easy..."

As someone who reads just about everything on the site, I find most of the content is not actually 'anonymity of abusive slander' and I believe saying so is lazy and discredits all the positive things written on the site and work put into it by those who visit and myself. It is not surprising anyone in Morrissey's close circle would respond in this way about the site without stating actual examples or suggestions of solutions.

Morrissey recently stated on true-to-you.net "...If my Front Row (Radio 4) interview sounded chopped and cropped, that's because it was. I had spoken fluently about the royal dreading, but an Iranian censorship confiscated all of my views. It is distressing, but in all manner of British media in 2011 we are only allowed to hear the same old thoughts and feelings expressed over and over and over again." If he is really opposed to censorship, he would not hate the site so much. It appears his views should not be 'confiscated' but those he finds distasteful should be.

As I mentioned before, I estimate around half of the interesting/informative comments come from anonymous comments. To the casual visitor, the anonymous comments stand out, because I do choose to allow more freedom than most fan sites. I understand it may be too much for some people, so it is a good suggestion to go to an alternative site such as AllYouNeedToMotherMe.com.

I understand some egos are hurt by things said on the site and I could improve the site's image by removing them. I don't make decisions based on how it would make reputation look as that would not be genuine on my end. I still support anonymous commenting and feel the benefits outweigh the negatives. As one of the articles I linked to before stated, "...They're a curb on the pomposity, authority and arrogance of people at the top of media chains". This is bound to upset some people.

From Boz Boorers facebook page recent post.

Chris Solorzano
You guys should wear a shirt that says" f*** Morrissey-solo.com"
Yesterday at 03:26 · Like ·

Matty Ellis likes this.
Oliver Ulbrich It's sad to see what has become of the solo forum. Some people there seem to enjoy bitching around more than than they enjoy Morrissey.
Yesterday at 06:15 · Like

Chris Solorzano Yeah, there was some bad talk about the three new Moz songs. Insulting Jesse and Boz.
Yesterday at 07:51 · Like

Boz Boorer I agree, it's not really a Morrissey fan site, someone should start a new one and leave that one for the people who just want to write stupid insults annonomously.
21 hours ago · Like · 6 people

Oliver Ulbrich There still is a loyal fanbase over at the solo forum, including me ... but as usual, the bullies are more vocal. And it's even worse on the frontpage forum, where people can post anonymously. It's probably better to ignore them ... they will find something to complain about no matter what!
21 hours ago · Like

Claire Guest People who write such dross are not fans - how can they possibly be? and therefore it makes me wonder why they can even be bothered to write it in the first place. There's plenty of artists & bands I don't like, but I'd never slate them just because it's not my taste.
19 hours ago · Like

Julie Ryan Boz - allyouneedismorrissey.com. No anonymity allowed. Everyone is very NICE and supportive and there are lots of interesting threads, including tour pics, updates, etc. It's a true FAN site. xoxo
16 hours ago · Like

Julie Ryan There were 120+ people online during the opening night in Perth. We discuss concerts / post pics in real time, when possible. It's fun for those of us who can't be there. The tour threads have been averaging 2 thousand views, which ain't bad for a new site.
16 hours ago · Like

Boz Boorer
I must agree, I personally don't have the time or the inclination to post onto certain people's sites how droll and ineffectual I find their music, I will wait until I see them one day and tell them personally, everyone should leave the site of which we daren't utter their name and move onto sunnier climes. I am not afraid of criticism, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the anonymity of abusive slander is pointless and I must apologise for giving it too much attention, but that's what they're so seemingly after, so after this evening, I will pay it no mind. sleep easy... BB
8 hours ago · Like · 2 people

Chris Solorzano Very well said Boz
7 hours ago · Like

Appears to be an issue far and wide.

David.. I just want to weigh in briefly and say, as someone who has been browsing this site week in, week out since 2001 (well, more like day in, day out most of the time..) I fully support your stance on the Anonymous posters. I have seen many of the gems that have been posted on the main page by Anonymous posters over the years, some of which I have no doubt would not have been posted were registration required. This website has in my view been better for allowing Anonymous comments, overall.

Under the old system there was always the option to browse at a post score of 1 and you wouldn't even see anonymous comments (unless they were modded up) now it seems obvious troll posts are hidden (with the *option* to view) pretty quickly. So that really helps. (actually if there was one suggestion I would make, and if it's not too hard to do, it would be to give logged in users the option not to see Anonymous posts - much like the 'browse at 1' score used to do. but I know it could be hard to actually code or whatever). As for me I always read the anonymous posts anyway.

I'm sure there must be other longtime readers / posters on the site who feel the same way as I do.

David.. I just want to weigh in briefly and say, as someone who has been browsing this site week in, week out since 2001 (well, more like day in, day out most of the time..) I fully support your stance on the Anonymous posters. I have seen many of the gems that have been posted on the main page by Anonymous posters over the years, some of which I have no doubt would not have been posted were registration required. This website has in my view been better for allowing Anonymous comments, overall.

Under the old system there was always the option to browse at a post score of 1 and you wouldn't even see anonymous comments (unless they were modded up) now it seems obvious troll posts are hidden (with the *option* to view) pretty quickly. So that really helps. (actually if there was one suggestion I would make, and if it's not too hard to do, it would be to give logged in users the option not to see Anonymous posts - much like the 'browse at 1' score used to do. but I know it could be hard to actually code or whatever). As for me I always read the anonymous posts anyway.

I'm sure there must be other longtime readers / posters on the site who feel the same way as I do.

Unfortunately davidt already commented that the latest vBulletin 4.1.3 version does not have a function to ignore anonymous posting.

Hopefully it will be added near future.

Sure, but anything is modifiable right? If you have the requisite madskillz (technical knowledge).

Thanks for the response 2-J. The missing filtering of comments is unfortunately missing in the new system. I have talked to the developers of the software and a rating system (thumbs up / down) was brought up but that seems to be a feature that won't appear for some time. There is definitely room for improvement. There are other enhancements to add but generally during the tour I don't want to make any major changes and am usually busy fixing other stuff anyway.

Most people did not use the score filtering anyway and I have had similar complaints about anonymous comments in the past, usually once every year or two.

How do I go I about being anonymous? Thank you:)

I'm sick of that guy called Anonymous

Hahaha, no, seriously, i think the fact that anyone can post any kind of offensive shit here makes this site less attractive for discussion about Morrissey, so i kindly ask to the site admin, to reconsider this

Lleni

Anonymous? I know about those guys...

files.php

and in the John Katz link the observation that most fits our problem is,

"The real damage anonymous posters do is drive away people who have important or interesting things to say but don't want to participate in the digital equivalent of dodgem. Many women, older posters, people with demanding work and newbies in particular are disinterested in or frightened off by tostosterone-charged flamers. This is a real loss, judging from their e-mail, since many intelligent, thoughtful and useful observations are never seen."

This is true. As a woman, I feel this way. I do mostly like the site tho.

Meh. I don't care either way. But if getting rid of the anon-posting will stop the whining & bitchin' then I'm all for it.

DavidT made this post on another thread (about the history of the spat between Moz and Solo)
I still stand by allowing anonymous postings on the main page stories.

Looking at the stats online, approximately 90% of all site visitors at any given time are guests/anonymous. I don't want to exclude these people from posting on the main page if they might have something to say or some information and don't want to bother logging in or choose to remain anonymous.

If users have a problem with a specific post they can use the 'report post' function and mods will take a look to see if there are violations. People rarely do that, there may have been 10 reported posts or so in the last month.

It strikes me that those of us that want anonymous posting banned should make a concerted effort to report offensive, insulting and annoying posts whenever we see them - before long the weight of one of two potentially revealing anon posts will be outweighed by the '15 miles of shit' that make up the majority of anon posts and maybe, just maybe, David will reconsider.

Dave

At this point it may be a Mexican Standoff as it is called...

ANONYMOUS trolls

Whenever I go to the posts for Morrissey's tour dates, most of what I see are trolls, posting as "ANONYMOUS". Can't this site only allow registered members post in that section? I'm sick & tired of cowards who talk sh*t about Moz, but do so under anonymity.

Tags
anonymous morrissey sick
Back
Top Bottom