Besides Moz and The Smiths, what have you all been listening to lately?

C

Chill

I'm talking either new stuff or newly rediscovered old stuff. I don't discriminate. (Besides, I'm perennially behind the times.)

Me? Well I finally invested in some Pulp albums that have been missing from my collection. I had the requisite Different Class, but nothing else. In the last few weeks, I got His 'n' Hers, This is Hardcore and We Love Life. Dear gawd, Jarvis Cocker is one sexy motherf***er.

I am newly obsessed with the following songs: Babies, Lipgloss, Dishes, and Party Hard.

Also, vaguely embarrassing, I'm loving No Doubt's cover of "It's My Life." Disturbingly, however, my dad loves it too. He confessed to me the other day that he hates almost all eighties music, but he always liked the original Talk Talk version. Weird! He even bought the new No Doubt singles collection. Pardon my shock, but in 8th grade, I was a huge No Doubt fan and my dad banned me from going to one of their shows because he thought it might be too "rough" for me or something. But yeah, the fact that I was mystified by my dad's new fandom, I did steal the album and make myself a copy.

That should read "the fact that I...didn't stop me from stealing..."

This Is Hardcore is great stuff.

pic133707.jpg

> I'm talking either new stuff or newly rediscovered old stuff. I don't
> discriminate. (Besides, I'm perennially behind the times.)

> Me? Well I finally invested in some Pulp albums that have been missing
> from my collection. I had the requisite Different Class, but nothing else.
> In the last few weeks, I got His 'n' Hers, This is Hardcore and We Love
> Life. Dear gawd, Jarvis Cocker is one sexy motherf***er.

Pulp really is sex music.. 'This Is Hardcore' obvious as it is, is seductive sleezy, breathless (love 'The Fear').. the outro of the title track 'That goes in there etc' is just mind spinning. Was lucky to see see them last Fathers Day perform in a Pine Forest in Kent (Bedgebury Pinetum). One of the great nights out. Even though we got hopelessly lost on the way home and had to calm down with a fag in a layby (Fag in the Brit sense)

Listening too.. Soulwax, Hidden Cameras, Ruts DC, Pony Club (get hold of Home Truths if not only for the sublime track, 'Tenderness'), Cinerama (that's Sexual music as well.. every infidelity, every time we've even looked at someone else... written down in lyrics)..

Ruffian

my wife going on about how I don't do this and how I dont do that and that we never go out anymore

Surprised to see you've only recently got the other great Pulp albums apart from 'different class', Chill, but better late than never.

I was listening to two or three cassette tapes on Sunday that have the 4 albums since 'his 'n' hers'. I sat back in my reclining chair thingy and wallowed in the magnificently sordid storytelling. His take on curtain-twitching British suburbia is the ultimate in sleaze.
His lyrical prowess is most impressive and the tunes aren't bad either!

I don't know if you know the song 'his 'n' hers'. It wasn't on the album here in the UK, but was on a four-track ep called 'The sisters'.
It has 'sex' written all over it. Comes with a McCann recommendation. And they're rarer than hen's teeth.

And then there's 'acrylic afternoons'. Aaaaaaaah. Bliss.

> I am newly obsessed with the following songs: Babies, Lipgloss, Dishes,
> and Party Hard.

> Also, vaguely embarrassing, I'm loving No Doubt's cover of "It's My
> Life." Disturbingly, however, my dad loves it too. He confessed to me
> the other day that he hates almost all eighties music, but he always liked
> the original Talk Talk version. Weird! He even bought the new No Doubt
> singles collection. Pardon my shock, but in 8th grade, I was a huge No
> Doubt fan and my dad banned me from going to one of their shows because he
> thought it might be too "rough" for me or something. But yeah,
> the fact that I was mystified by my dad's new fandom, I did steal the
> album and make myself a copy.

>interpol turn on the bright lights,still shines a while after its release.the strokes album is ok not great.

mainly ive been listening to a great new irish band called "alphastates".rich melodies,lyrics that mean something and a female singer with a voice that sends shivers down your neck,sort of a unique mixture between beth gibbons and harriet wheeler.
The band were called babelfish for their first year,but had to change as some norwegian rockers bet then to it.they have three excellent eps`s and a debut album set for early feb release.

as the band are truly independent at the mo,their fan base is growing at a slightly slower rate than it migh be.I1d reccommend you log on to www.alphastates.com to listen to this brilliant dublin band.who knows a future moz support act in the making ?perfect combo !

Re: Stereolab - Instant 0 in the universe

Excellent 5 track mini release from Stereolab, looking forward to the new album once the tiresome festive season is out of the way. Also had High Llamas latest album 'Beet Maize & Corn' on the CD player since I bought it.

> and Party Hard.

Indeed Babies is an excellent song. I saw Pulp a few years ago in Sheffield & they are very goot live too.

As for Jarvis being "sexy" my girlfriend at that time thought so too! I much prefer the keyboard player Candida Mary Doyle *slurp*

As for what I've been listening too, the usual as I'm stuck, have been for many years and will continue to be so...

These include:

I Am Kloot

In the car: Ned's Atomic Dustbin - God Fodder

alternating with Portishead - Dummy and Bob Marley - Legend

In the bathroom: Led Zeppelin 1 alternating with U2 - October

In the living room: Thievery Corporation - The Richest Man in Babylon

The Sundays, Innocence Mission, Dandy Warhols, Rufus Wainwright, Tori Amos, etc.

I seem to be into the more mellow music lately. That will change quickly I'm sure.

Re: Bad Day

I have REM's 'Bad Day' echoing round my head at the moment. I can only have heard it twice or even thrice, it's very catchy. Does anyone have the 'Best of' thing that's out but in the 2 CD version with acoustic bits and bobs? Is it worth hanging out for? - I haven't bought an REM thing since their best of with teh painted faces on the front (1991?).

> and Party Hard.

For whatever reasons, lately it's been:

80's hardcore (DOA, Bad Brains, Fear)
latter day REM
The Strokes
Television- Marquee Moon and The Blow Up
Belle and Sebastian- 'Dear..' although I'm not that crazy about it
The Stills
Steve Earle- "Just an American Boy"
Johnny Cash- American 4

'Casual Sex in the Cineplex'

by the mighty Sultans of Ping F.C.
Saw them at Wolverhampton Wulfrun Hall in 1993. Ahhh...great days.

"put on your flip-flops and let's go shopping, dear"
"Two pints of Rasa, I think you're medasa"(sp?)
and everyone must remember "Where's Me Jumper"

Ahhh...I think I'll have a sort through some more of my old LPs this evening. The Bridewell Taxis anyone?

I like all the bands you probably would expect me to like. It's predictable, I know. The worst thing is that I am willing to admit it.

The bands that I can tolerate...

The Housemartins - they are actually quite good. Why does this suprise me?
The Libertines - the best of a bad lot.
Moco - you have never heard of them? You aren't missing out on much.
Brenda Lee - your Grandma should own a few of her LP's. If your Grandma does not have any Brenda Lee, be concerned.
Al Jonson - more music that I recieved through my Grandma's will.

Hmm...lately, I've been listening almost constantly to disc two of The Church's Parallel Universe and to an advance copy of their new album, Forget Yourself, which will be out in January. I can't get enough of The Church!

As for rediscovered music, I saw Robyn Hitchcock play live the week before last and he ended his set by doing a bunch of covers. The best part was when he did the second side of Roxy Music's Avalon (except for Tara!). So, I've dug out Avalon and have been listening to that from "The Main Thing" on. I'd love to have a boot from the show that I saw because I really loved Robyn's versions of those songs. It's funny but I usually like covers of Roxy Music's stuff better than their versions of their own songs. It's almost as if other people can discover nuances of their songs and put them across better than they could. But that's just my opinion.

Other than that, it's been same old-same old for me: Trail of Dead - The Secret of Elena's Tomb and Hawkwind's Space Ritual. I'm such a predictable creature.

Bowie

I very much prefer Talk Talk's original version of "It's My Life" to No Doubts' rendering...

A new co-worker recently burned me a bunch of old David Bowie albums and although the earlier stuff from Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane, and Ziggy Stardust still bores me I really like Scary Monsters!

*hugs* to you Chill

Yes !!! "Give him a ball (and a yard of grass)"

> "put on your flip-flops and let's go shopping, dear"
> "Two pints of Rasa, I think you're medasa"(sp?)
> and everyone must remember "Where's Me Jumper"

"If God meant the game to be played up there/He would've put goal posts in the air"

My favourite Sultans of Ping story is about the time Radiohead supported *them*.

Hey Dumbledore...I'd like to make a request

Put up a new picture of you in your profile. Tossing off to the door knocking icon is getting harder and harder for me to do

pic133763.jpg

Back
Top Bottom