Best bass line in Smiths or Morrissey song

The Seeker of Good Songs

A youthful colleague of mine, who plays bass, is in need of introduction to The Smiths and Morrissey.
Which couple of songs, with the better bass, would be a good for him too hear to want to play?

Barbarism Begins at Home and This Charming Man spring immediately to mind.

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out has an interesting bass line, but then again many others do too.

This Night Has Opened My Eyes is also worth mentioning bcos the bass is superb.

I hate/love threads like this...sends me back into my collection & I can't get out again.
Last one from me:
well I wonder

Thank you all, but I can't ask him to listen to every song.
Just seeking one or two each choice selections of Moz and Smiths.

Thank you all, but I can't ask him to listen to every song.
Just seeking one or two each choice selections of Moz and Smiths.

Any one of those listed above would fit the bill from The Smiths, so take your pick.
Maybe you could filter, see what you think & pass him x2 Smiths, and x2 Morrissey ones?
I'm struggling though from a Moz solo perspective as, for me, the bass isn't as prominent as it was with The Smiths (& the wonderful Andy Rourke).
That said, Tomorrow has an interesting bassline, and maybe Suedehead.

Any one of those listed above would fit the bill from The Smiths, so take your pick.
Maybe you could filter, see what you think & pass him x2 Smiths, and x2 Morrissey ones?
I'm struggling though from a Moz solo perspective as, for me, the bass isn't as prominent as it was with The Smiths (& the wonderful Andy Rourke).
That said, Tomorrow has an interesting bassline, and maybe Suedehead.

thanks

Pigsty and...Barbarism!

Thanks to Andy, pretty much any Smiths song has a killer bassline, so it's hard to go wrong. For solo, I'd suggest 'He Knows I'd Love To See Him'.

Without a shadow of a doubt, Andy Rourke's bass on the demo version of the Queen Is Dead. A showcase for his wandering fingers. I wish I could find it, but I can't. I have a vivid recollection of being absolutely thrown by how good that bassline was/is.

This Charming Man, Barbarism Begins At Home and The Queen Is Dead have all been mentioned. These are my favourites, too.

why all smiths,ALLYOU NEED IS ME.

What difference does it make,barbarism begins at home,cemetry gates.........................you can tell he liked all the Parliament funk stuff.

Back
Top Bottom