Morrissey Central "DO YOU REMEMBER … FAR BACK IN TIME …" (October 22, 2020)

I think at this point in his life and the way he feels about the lives of animals, he’s pretty fed up and will say just about anything to give some attention on the subject in spite of the penalties.

It’s not 1985 anymore and calling people murderers is just not enough in his mind and heart .

Yeah, I think that's been the misunderstanding with the press - he's gone all out on getting abattoirs shut & they've been so focused on their hot topics that they've barely noticed him saying it.

He said immigration! In a confusing sentence!

0c649a17ec1e5f5ca340248b4ef4e4be.gif

You would think The Guardian would be smarter than that & you'd be wrong.

They had to promise to READ their editorials before publishing them after one debacle over David Cameron's dead child.

He's well connected enough to get an instant personal apology.

Yeah, it's the anti-glamour dark side myth.

I would disagree that it is necessarily “anti-glamour”. Part of the appeal of celebrity is being to engage in levels of hedonism unobtainable to most people with little or no consequences. Anger’s book is like a tabloid. While ostensibly being about the “dark side” of Hollywood, it still presents it all in a glamorous way.
The thing I remember about the book is the chapter is the chapter about the Fatty Arbuckle rape trial. Almost everyone now agrees that Arbuckle was totally railroaded but Anger’s book assumes his guilt. He wrong but that was the mythos.
But I dunno. He wrote that book in the 50’s and a lot of scholarship has been done since then.

Last edited:
I would disagree that it is necessarily “anti-glamour”. Part of the appeal of celebrity is being to engage in levels of hedonism unobtainable to most people with little or no consequences. Anger’s book is like a tabloid. While ostensibly being about the “dark side” of Hollywood, it still presents it all in a glamorous way.
The thing I remember about the book is the chapter is the chapter about the Fatty Arbuckle rape trial. Almost everyone now agrees that Arbuckle was totally railroaded but Anger’s book assumes his guilt. He wrong but that was the mythos.
But I dunno. He wrote that book in the 50’s and a lot of scholarship has been done since then.

I mean more the glamour of celebrity squalor - ending up dead, or broke or jailed.

I don't think Fatty was guilty - it was one of those cases where there were social concerns, in this case about alcohol & immoral films, & this death was the perfect opportunity to talk about those things in the press.

But he is a ‘great champion of gay rights’ and nobody, not even he, can stop that.

“I identify as an omnivore who loves to polish off a hefty serving of chicken tikka masala. You can bet your sweet ass Moz would judge me for that "identity."

Being a person who is passionate about animal rights, he may think your actions of eating another animal disgusting and he may even resort to calling you a subspecies. And why would he do that? Well, simply to shine a light on a subject that doesn’t get enough social & media attention. Yes, another chance for him to give a voice to the voiceless, no matter how crude, extreme, or poor the choice of word he used to express his anger and disgust.
Veganism gets PLENTY if coverage. I never met a f***ing vegan that was shy about telling me.

Veganism gets PLENTY if coverage. I never met a f***ing vegan that was shy about telling me.

Yeah - but most of the coverage is 'what to do if one of these horrendous people come to your house for a dinner party'.

I can't tell you how many family events I've gone to where someone's Grandpa/Dad/Uncle went straight into a rant about how awful vegans are the minute the host said something like 'Karen, here are the vegetable dips'. I just let them get it out of their system. It probably makes them happier. :popcorn:

I'm really glad to see that Morrissey seems to respect and admire James Baldwin (though his “I wear black on the outside / ‘Cause black is how I feel on the inside” tee-shirt homage to Baldwin couldn't have been clumsier). I'd like to think there's an ongoing conflict inside Morrissey, where the Morrissey of old -- the warm and egalitarian champion of misfits and the misunderstood -- grapples with the cantankerous For Britain badge-wearing Morrissey of today. I hope the former offers the latter a giant bouquet of gladiolas, invites him to tea, and talks some sense into him.
Don’t hold your breath for that happening...ever. The short amount of life left for Moz will be spent championing racist political parties until after the VEGAS shows, which will be the end of line for him.

Weiss is 100 percent correct...identity politics and tribalism are a crutch and are ultimately counterproductive to any cultural advancement or political struggle.

Baldwin is, albeit eloquently, playing the race card here. And the victim card.

It was bullshit 50 years ago and it's bullshit now.
People of color are superior to you. Your worthless existence is no longer needed.

poor fatty he will always be the one for me.

On a related note, back in 50s Shelagh Delaney thought Terence Rattigan was stuffy, so she wrote her own hit play.

Nowadays, she'd write a 16 tweet diatribe about what a stuffy white man he was, then there would be a pile-on, then hot-takes about how awful stuffy white man plays were, the theatre would get stressed & look around for a non-stuffy non-white non-man play, wouldn't find one because everyone is terrified that deep down they're only capable of writing stuffy white man plays because they liked that stuffy white man play when they went to see it, so they end up putting on a performance artiste who delivers a diatribe about stuffy white man plays while wearing a shoe on his head.

And we have no money & we're mostly shut.

Which is why our era is sh*t & Morrissey should just write songs & chat about cats on the Dermot O'Leary show.
Dermot O'Dreary morelike 🙄

I mean more the glamour of celebrity squalor - ending up dead, or broke or jailed.

I don't think Fatty was guilty - it was one of those cases where there were social concerns, in this case about alcohol & immoral films, & this death was the perfect opportunity to talk about those things in the press.

Fatty Arsebuckle morelike!

Don’t hold your breath for that happening...ever. The short amount of life left for Moz will be spent championing racist political parties until after the VEGAS shows, which will be the end of line for him.
Freakshow alert!

I identify as an omnivore who loves to polish off a hefty serving of chicken tikka masala. You can bet your sweet ass Moz would judge me for that "identity." That said, I agree with the general spirit of what you wrote.

Taste isn't an identity and eating meat is a choice.

That said, I agree that Moz would judge you for that but fail to see any connection to my previous statement.

But he is a ‘great champion of gay rights’ and nobody, not even he, can stop that.

I mean, every person can choose the gay icon they can identify with the most, no? He certainly is a champion to people who feel uncomfortable with labels being stuck onto them.

Yeah, he's never been in the closet. Not wanting to talk about relationships is pretty normal esp if you're the type who would die a thousand deaths if people were reading about your sex life over their cornflakes.

I wonder what he feels about Hollywood Babylon? Has he ever mentioned Kenneth Anger?

View attachment 60270

View attachment 60271
Well, he must have read it and might have enjoyed it for its entertainment value (everyone loves a bit of gossip as long as they're not the subject) but there are other books out there that are better researched.

I wonder what he thought of Boulevard Of Broken Dreams, the book written by James Dean's ex-lover Paul Alexander.

Yes
What do vegans live off, us meat eaters ask?
Attention!!!

How do you know if someone is vegan?... They'll tell you within 5 minutes of meeting them.

Back
Top Bottom