Edwyn Collins

Kimura

I was fortunate enough to attend Edwyn Collins appearance this morning (Sunday) in Edinburgh.

It was, without a doubt, the best concert that I have ever attended.

There may be some sentimentality in that proclamation...but I make no apologies for that. Seeing Edwyn on stage, hale, hearty and happy after everything that he has endured was a gloriously uplifting experience.

Aside from the emotion it was a fabulous performance.

Edwyn sitting, centre stage, on an amp...his lyrics on a lectern beside him, just in case his dysphasia caused any problems (which it didn't), looked fabulous in a blue, pin-striped, double-breasted suit.

His voice has been altered and is deeper than before possibly. He sounded wonderful.

The songs.

Oh, those songs.

"Simply Thrilled Honey"

"Falling and Laughing"

"Blue Boy"

"Don't Shilly Shally"

"Home Again"

"You'll Never Know My Love"

"Wheels of Love"

"A Girl Like You"

"Rip it Up"

"Consolation Prize"

All delivered with heart and soul.

He was joined on stage by Romeo from the Magic Numbers, Malcolm Ross (of Orange Juice and Josef K) and Ryan Jarman from The Cribs (!) with whom he is writing new material.

It was a joyous, celebratory, uplifting and inspiring night.

Thank you Edwyn.

Kimura

nice set, saw him last year at manchester both acoustic then full band. quite lucky to see him play live, hes even more lucky to be playing live :) the most recent home again is a good effort too

nice set, saw him last year at manchester both acoustic then full band. quite lucky to see him play live, hes even more lucky to be playing live :) the most recent home again is a good effort too

He is fortunate.

I think that you get that feeling from his performances...they are full of joy and life.

Last night was something really special. A very small, intimate show...the crowd serenading him with "Happy Birthday". Lovely.

Kimura

i went to a book signing of his wife's the other week - he attended and treated us to a few songs. Listening to her tell the story of his illness and then him singing "Home Again" was so emotional, really special! Her book is really good as well - recommended...

i went to a book signing of his wife's the other week - he attended and treated us to a few songs. Listening to her tell the story of his illness and then him singing "Home Again" was so emotional, really special! Her book is really good as well - recommended...

"Falling and Laughing" is the book...I think?

Can someone clarify and provide a link for those of us who are less well versed in these matters!

Kimura

I haven't ever been at a concert that I enjoyed more.

I've seen lots of "stars" who are adored, worshipped, idolised...including our own, dear, Morrissey but I have to say that I haven't ever seen a performer who is loved like Edwyn.

I don't think it's just mawkish sentimentality...although I'm sure that plays a part; this is Scotland after all and, behind Liverpool, we are the nation who revel most in that!

It appeared to me that people genuinely love Edwyn and love those songs.

I'm still floating.

Kimura

Back
Top Bottom