FAO Canadian Rufus Wainwright & Hawksley Workman fans

G

GenderNectar

Just got my tickets to see Rufus on Dec. 8th @ the Mod Club and Hawksley on Dec. 17th @ a CHURCH in Toronto. Should be interesting. December will be a great month.
Lazy Dyke -- are you going to any of these shows?
Has anyone been to the Mod Club? What's it like? Are there any tables / seats?

> Just got my tickets to see Rufus on Dec. 8th @ the Mod Club and Hawksley
> on Dec. 17th @ a CHURCH in Toronto. Should be interesting. December will
> be a great month.
> Lazy Dyke -- are you going to any of these shows?
> Has anyone been to the Mod Club? What's it like? Are there any tables /
> seats?

Thanks, GenderNectar! I just got tickets to both, despite the fact that I'm completely broke!

"Want Two" is released on Tuesday, right? And Hawksley has a new DVD out the same day? Aargh! I mean, I'm thrilled, but such bad timing, with the Platinum YATQ and the upcoming MEN DVD, and with Xmas so close! I'll soon be in heaps of debt!

I've been to the Mod Club (Queen Street West, isn't it?). I actually attended a Morrissey/Smiths night there once! From what I remember, it's upstairs, and when you enter the bar is across the other side of the large room, and there is a dancefloor, and then another room in the back. I'm not sure where he'd perform, though. There are some tables and a few places to sit.

Anyway, looking forward to the shows! Cheers!

Re: Hawksley Workman is amazingly awful

His last album was disappointing, but his earlier stuff is fantastic. And he's always a delight to see live. Quite the performer, is Hawksley.

> His last album was disappointing, but his earlier stuff is fantastic. And
> he's always a delight to see live. Quite the performer, is Hawksley.

You didn't like L/F?? I looooove that album!

> "Want Two" is released on Tuesday, right?

Yep! I can't wait. I hope it's just as amazing as Want One. I've already seen the show that's on the DVD. It's wonderful! My friend in California copied it onto a DVD for me for my birthday. She recorded it off of Direct TV.

>And Hawksley has a new DVD out the same day?

He does?? I had no idea! What is it? A live performance? Where was it recorded and when?

> Aargh! I mean, I'm thrilled, but such bad timing,
> with the Platinum YATQ and the upcoming MEN DVD, and with Xmas so close!
> I'll soon be in heaps of debt!

I think I'm going to hold off on the platinum cd because we've basically heard all of those songs already so I'll buy it after Xmas or something. The DVD? That's another story. Do you think it will be available here in Canada right away? Actually -- you should know! How's your new job going? Buying lots of cd's?

> I've been to the Mod Club (Queen Street West, isn't it?). I actually
> attended a Morrissey/Smiths night there once! From what I remember, it's
> upstairs, and when you enter the bar is across the other side of the large
> room, and there is a dancefloor, and then another room in the back. I'm
> not sure where he'd perform, though. There are some tables and a few
> places to sit.

Hmm..sounds interesting. I have no clue what you look like -- otherwise I'd say hi if I saw ya.

You've obviously never seen him live. He's astounding!

> You didn't like L/F?? I looooove that album!

Really? No I didn't like it. I didn't even like the artwork (what is that thing he's wearing on his chin?!). I wanted to, I really wanted to like it. There are a few songs I can listen to ('We Will Still Need A Song', 'Anger As Beauty', 'Autumn's Here'), but most of them are just "meh", while some even make me cringe ('Tonight Romanticize The Automobile', 'No Reason To Cry Out Your Eyes').

'Smoke Baby' is just TERRIBLE! It pains me to think of it. Why, Hawksley, WHY?!

But I still enjoy seeing him perform, even the songs I dislike (he's just that captivating)! And I cling to the hope that I'll enjoy his next album.

> Yep! I can't wait. I hope it's just as amazing as Want One. I've already
> seen the show that's on the DVD. It's wonderful! My friend in California
> copied it onto a DVD for me for my birthday. She recorded it off of Direct
> TV.

Oooh, lucky! I can't wait to hear "Gay Messiah"

> He does?? I had no idea! What is it? A live performance? Where was it
> recorded and when?

Yes, "Live in Lille". They were selling signed copies for a while at Maple Music. Here's the info:

The first live/DVD release in Hawksley Workman's catalogue. This jam-packed DVD contains a brilliant 20-song, 2-hour performance that was shot in Lille, France during Hawksley's "lover/fighter" tour. This live concert has been mixed in 5.1 dolby digital surround sound. In addition to the concert, this DVD has all 9 of Hawksley Workman's music videos, including a previously unreleased director's cut version of the video for Hawksley's hit "We Will Still Need A Song". The bonus features section also contains the "The Making Of lover/fighter" EPK as well as a full discography.

Tracks:
tonight romanticize the automobile, no reason to cry out your eyes (on the highway tonight), even an ugly man, wonderful and sad, anger as beauty, dirty and true, no more named johnny, tarantulove, jealous of your cigarette, striptease, we will still need a song, no beginning no end, smoke baby, autumn's here, safe and sound, your beauty must be rubbing off, don't be crushed, a house or maybe a boat, you me and the weather,cinnamon girl.

Bonus Features:
the making of lover/fighter - epk, hawksley workman discography

Videos:
we will still need a song, we will still need a song (director's cut), anger as beauty, anger as beauty (director's cut), no beginning no end, jealous of your cigarette, striptease, no sissies

I'll attach a link to the actual site for you.

> I think I'm going to hold off on the platinum cd because we've basically
> heard all of those songs already so I'll buy it after Xmas or something.
> The DVD? That's another story. Do you think it will be available here in
> Canada right away? Actually -- you should know! How's your new job going?
> Buying lots of cd's?

I have all the songs on the Platinum YATQ too, but I can't help myself! So sad! The MEN DVD is supposed to be released in the UK in December, while the US release is slated for March of next year (but there's always a way to get UK releases, if you are unable to wait that long).

The new job has been fun! All the other staff members are really nice, and I love talking to the customers about music. I haven't been going crazy buying cds, as I've been attending a lot of record shows lately, blowing all my cash on vinyl. I attended one in St. Catharines a couple of weeks ago, actually!

> Hmm..sounds interesting. I have no clue what you look like -- otherwise
> I'd say hi if I saw ya.

I remember seeing your picture when you posted that nifty speaking photo (how could I forget such a lovely face!), so I'll definitely say hello if I see you! Here's me (just keep an eye out for a short nerdish girl wearing glasses!):

Link to Live In Lille DVD
pic226369.jpg

> Oooh, lucky! I can't wait to hear "Gay Messiah"

Only Rufus can get away with the lyrics "baptised in cum". LOL!

> Yes, "Live in Lille". They were selling signed copies for a
> while at Maple Music. Here's the info:

That sounds so great! Now I KNOW I must have it.

> The new job has been fun! All the other staff members are really nice, and
> I love talking to the customers about music. I haven't been going crazy
> buying cds, as I've been attending a lot of record shows lately, blowing
> all my cash on vinyl. I attended one in St. Catharines a couple of weeks
> ago, actually!

I bravely stayed away from the record show this year. I usually go to the one here in St. Catharines and the one in Niagara Falls. Funily enough, I was just thinking about that today. Do you have any idea when the Niagara Falls one is? I can never remember. I prefer the one here because it's alot more spacious. They cram everyone into that damn Royal Legion in the Falls. It's so crowded.

> I remember seeing your picture when you posted that nifty speaking photo
> (how could I forget such a lovely face!), so I'll definitely say hello if
> I see you! Here's me (just keep an eye out for a short nerdish girl
> wearing glasses!):

Aww..you're so kind. Thank you. And may I say -- YOU'RE FREAKIN' ADORABLE! (nerdish? Not at all) I'll keep my eye out for you. I'll be with my friend Mike (an older dude - he's around 44 yrs old.) He's my surrogate date. haha My boyfriend isn't a big fan of live shows so Mike and I always go together because we have the exact same taste in music.

P.S...

I just preordered that Hawksley DVD at amazon.com. That way I'm sure to get it. I know I'll be driving all over town looking for the damn thing and nobody with have it. (the story of my life) Thanks for the heads up about the DVD. I apprectiate it!

> I bravely stayed away from the record show this year. I usually go to the
> one here in St. Catharines and the one in Niagara Falls. Funily enough, I
> was just thinking about that today. Do you have any idea when the Niagara
> Falls one is? I can never remember. I prefer the one here because it's
> alot more spacious. They cram everyone into that damn Royal Legion in the
> Falls. It's so crowded.

The Niagara Falls show was the weekend before the one in St. Catharines (and come to think of it, yes it WAS kind of crowded in there!). This Sunday is the last show of the year, in Guelph. I'm actually kind of relieved that it's the last one, as it means one less opportunity to spend money I don't have!

> Aww..you're so kind. Thank you. And may I say -- YOU'RE FREAKIN'
> ADORABLE! (nerdish? Not at all) I'll keep my eye out for you. I'll be
> with my friend Mike (an older dude - he's around 44 yrs old.) He's my
> surrogate date. haha My boyfriend isn't a big fan of live shows so Mike
> and I always go together because we have the exact same taste in music.

Sure, you can say so, but you'd be lying! Still, it's nice of you to say it!

Hope to see you at the shows!

Don't mind me. I'll just sit here quietly & watch.

> You've obviously never seen him live. He's astounding!

They say this board has gone tits up, but, having followed your thread with keen interest, can i just say how nice it is to see how nice you are.
Do you sell videos depicting the two of you 'in flagrante delicto', as it were?

Back
Top Bottom