Hawksley Workman

G

GenderNectar

Anyone else like him?
He's an amazing artist from Canada. One of my favorite albums is 'Last Night We Were the Delicious Wolves'. I just picked up his new one 'Lover / Fighter' and it's glorious! Track 8 ("Smoke Baby") is my favorite so far.
He actually opened up for Moz in Hamilton, Ontario back in Feb. 2000 but I missed his entire performance.

The man plays a sweet Fender Telecaster.....You bet I've heard of him.

pic134123.jpg

I've been a huge Hawksley fan ever since I saw him open for the Violent Femmes back in 2000. I've now seen him live about eight times, though I missed him opening for Morrissey (and will never forgive myself for doing so!). He played a snippet of Girlfriend in a Coma at his recent appearance on the CBC show "Play"

However...

I was sorely disappointed by Lover/Fighter. I think he is pandering to the mainstream in hopes of becoming more popular (he basically admitted as much in several interviews), and at the expense of his art. For shame!

Still, I have been listening to his Christmas album a lot lately, and the song "Claire Fontaine" would make me forgive him anything.

"For Him and the Girls" is my favourite Hawksley album, though I love "(Last Night We Were) The Delicious Wolves" as well.

> I've been a huge Hawksley fan ever since I saw him open for the Violent
> Femmes back in 2000. I've now seen him live about eight times, though I
> missed him opening for Morrissey (and will never forgive myself for doing
> so!). He played a snippet of Girlfriend in a Coma at his recent appearance
> on the CBC show "Play"

Wow! Lucky! I've never had the pleasure of seeing him live. Next time he comes around though I'll definitely catch him. What is his live performance like?

> However...

> I was sorely disappointed by Lover/Fighter. I think he is pandering to the
> mainstream in hopes of becoming more popular (he basically admitted as
> much in several interviews), and at the expense of his art. For shame!

Really? I don't get that from this album. I think there's a couple of "radio-friendly" tunes on there just like on 'Delicious Wolves' but the rest will probably stay out of the mainstream. (at least I hope).

P.S WHAT IS WITH THE HIDDEN TRACKS??? I've never understand the point of this. Those are wonderful songs and they're hidden. It's an 11 track cd yet it only shows 9 on the cover. That could deter people from purchasing the album. I wish bands would stop doing that. argh

> Still, I have been listening to his Christmas album a lot lately, and the
> song "Claire Fontaine" would make me forgive him anything.

I didn't even know he had a Xmas album out. I despise Christmas music though so that's probably why. Is it worth me checking out though?

> Wow! Lucky! I've never had the pleasure of seeing him live. Next time he
> comes around though I'll definitely catch him. What is his live
> performance like?

Erm... spastic, exuberant, nonsensical, glorious! He is a performer in the truest sense of the word. He really puts on a show. I dragged my reluctant roommate to one of his performances in Ottawa a couple of years ago. He had not wanted to attend, as he despised what he'd heard of Hawksley emanating from my room at our place. After the show had ended, he told me it was the best concert he'd ever been to (though he still wouldn't listen to Hawksley's cds). Hawksley will go on these weird, wonderful monologues about rabbits and soup (?!) between songs. He uses props (megaphones, dolls heads speared on sticks, his red tiger striped striptease jacket) and dances with pure and utter abandon. He creates songs on the spot, many of which make absolutely no sense whatsoever (except to him, it seems!). He is a showman. He needs a top hat.

I taped his performance at the Festival of Friends (August 2001), and every time I watch it I get chills.

> I didn't even know he had a Xmas album out. I despise Christmas music
> though so that's probably why. Is it worth me checking out though?

Of course, being Hawksley, "Almost a Full Moon" is not your typical Xmas album. It's not a collection of traditional Christmas carols or hymns. They are original songs with a holiday/wintery theme. I would definitely recommend it, even simply for the first track "Claire Fontaine", one of his best songs. I also really love the song "Common Cold". This album was re-released last year, so there are two versions out there, one with an additional track called "watching the fires", which was released on the UK version of (Last Night We Were) The Delicious Wolves. You can check out Hawkley's entire discography on the following website: http://www.maplemusic.com/artists/hwk/disc.asp

pic134130.jpg

> Erm... spastic, exuberant, nonsensical, glorious! He is a performer in the
> truest sense of the word. He really puts on a show. I dragged my reluctant
> roommate to one of his performances in Ottawa a couple of years ago. He
> had not wanted to attend, as he despised what he'd heard of Hawksley
> emanating from my room at our place. After the show had ended, he told me
> it was the best concert he'd ever been to (though he still wouldn't listen
> to Hawksley's cds). Hawksley will go on these weird, wonderful monologues
> about rabbits and soup (?!) between songs. He uses props (megaphones,
> dolls heads speared on sticks, his red tiger striped striptease jacket)
> and dances with pure and utter abandon. He creates songs on the spot, many
> of which make absolutely no sense whatsoever (except to him, it seems!).
> He is a showman. He needs a top hat.

Sounds amazing! Any word on when he's touring Canada next?

> Of course, being Hawksley, "Almost a Full Moon" is not your
> typical Xmas album. It's not a collection of traditional Christmas carols
> or hymns. They are original songs with a holiday/wintery theme. I would
> definitely recommend it, even simply for the first track "Claire
> Fontaine", one of his best songs. I also really love the song
> "Common Cold". This album was re-released last year, so there
> are two versions out there, one with an additional track called
> "watching the fires", which was released on the UK version of
> (Last Night We Were) The Delicious Wolves. You can check out Hawkley's
> entire discography on the following website:
> http://www.maplemusic.com/artists/hwk/disc.asp

Interesting. The 'Anger As Beauty' single shows the 2nd track as "Love Will Tear Us Apart". Did you know he did a cover of this??? I surely didn't. I have to hear it!!

> Sounds amazing! Any word on when he's touring Canada next?

I just saw him in Toronto. He played two sold out shows, October 1st and 2nd.

He's currently touring Europe, and he'll be back in Canada on December 9, playing several shows in Quebec.

> Interesting. The 'Anger As Beauty' single shows the 2nd track as
> "Love Will Tear Us Apart". Did you know he did a cover of
> this??? I surely didn't. I have to hear it!!

Yes, I've heard it, it's great!

Back
Top Bottom