Help With Some Basic German

virtually dead

Simply Thrilled, Honey
I'm going to Berlin for three days in March and I hoped that some of the German soloists (or anyone, if you want to show off your polyglotism) could teach me some useful phrases that I may need.
I speak French quite well, but sadly in German I am completely ignorant.

I'm going to Berlin for three days in March and I hoped that some of the German soloists (or anyone, if you want to show off your polyglotism) could teach me some useful phrases that I may need.

Guten Tag! Good day.

Bitte, danke, bitte. Please, thank you, you're welcome.

Auf Wiedersehen. Goodbye. (Really, it's 'see you later.')

Wieviel kostet das? How much does this cost?

Wo ist der WC? Where is the WC?

Zwei Bier, bitte. Two beers, please.

Noch ein, bitte. Another one, please.

Last edited:
Probably best to write the English meaning beside it....when I said I was knew no German, I really meant it :o

Guten Tag! - good day (or morning, don't remember)

Bitte, danke, bitte. - please, thanks, please

Auf Wiedersehen. - bye

Wieviel kostet das? - how much

Wo ist der WC? - where is the loo

Zwei Bier, bitte. - 2 beers please

Noch ein, bitte. - ?

it's been years

Do you know ze way to ze train stazion?

Kacke...:p

Gehen Sie gerade aus und nehmen Sie die erste Strasse links :)

Go staight ahead and take the first street on the left.

Thats all I can remember from 3rd year German :)

I can help you here, my friend. :)

Entschuldigung! - Excuse me!
Entschuldigen Sie bitte - Excluse me please (it's more polite, in case entschuldigung doesn't budge 'em:p)
Es tut mir leid - I'm sorry

Are you a veggie or anything? You'll want to know what the various meats are so you can avoid them if you are.

And I can write them phonetically if it will help you to speak it. :)

i started teaching myself german recently and the bbc had a really helpful site with a lot of easy to understand basic stuff. i can't remember exactly where it was but just search bbc learn german or something and it should come up. i'll look around for it a bit and post it if/when i find it..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/german/lj/

enjoy!

Just say everything like this, you'll be fine.

Also,
schlüssel is key
polizeiwache is police station (just in case)
koffer is suitcase
I'll add more, when I think of them. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the phrases everyone, Pregs, you're on the same waveline as my brother, he went to Germany on holiday and I phoned him to ask him for some help, he told me how to say 'A beer, please' and asked him: 'is that all you know?', he replied 'it's all you need to know' :rolleyes:
I may PM you Franzanna about phonetics and things
and cheers for the link bagface, I've suscribed.

My German exchange partner wrote to me, but I don't know how to reply. :o I'm gonna give it a go, as it's all I can do, really.

you dont have to worry most poeple speak quite english quite good here and/or understand english very well
.its mostly the older folks who dont speak / understand english
.just try to speak a clear english and not using a very strong accent and you will be fine..i dont know if a glasgow accent sounds different than a edinburgh accent but i didnt have a problem with the scottish accent ...which was quite easy to understand,but Im sure scootish accents sounda pretty different further up north ;-)i heard more than once that the way the scottish accent is pronounced is similar how germans speak (?)
someone from here who comes from scotland was mistaken for a german in london when he ask someone after directions...(/he she posted it and i did remember that)
but maybe not everybody gets it..so english accentless..will be fine

Last edited:

When are you going? I'm planning to be there from 23rd-28th of march and plan to go to the faboulous monthly Moz/Smithsnight@Ackerkeller in Berlin ewhich is a quite rare event in a german city.

Der Ackerkeller is a gay/lesbian / multisexual club in central Berlin 'Mitte' and has a nice mix of people there ...also straight people :)

a link with v nice flyers: http://www.ackerkeller.de/morrisseylicious.html

I remember working in a store and picking up the following from a marked product: Ich bien eine una hannapuppa - I am a hand puppet

All other german words I know are associated with WWII military terms that I have picked up in my research. I do not think you will need to know any of that any time soon.

kann du helfen mir....can u help me

kann ich haben..can i have..

Back
Top Bottom