IANADOAC 2nd week UK charts

I Am Not A Dog On A Chain has dropped from #3 in its first week in the Top 100 Albums to out in its second week.

Also:
Dropped from #1 to #16 in the Official Physical Albums Chart Top 100
Dropped from #1 to #8 in the Official Independent Albums Chart Top 50
Dropped from #2 to #26 in the Official Vinyl Albums Chart Top 40

Related item:

There has been less than no publicity for this album. Could it be that BBC’s diversity agenda is actually rather narrow? Having shat on Cliff Richards, Morrissey seems to be next in line.
Well as I've said previously BBC Radio Scotland DJ Billy Sloan played songs from the new album over four consecutive weeks in the lead up to release with a bit of chat about the songs, upcoming tour etc. He's only on once a week on a Sat night so limited exposure but a very well respected DJ and maybe it helped sales in Scotland. Once I Saw The River Clean was played on Radio 2 the other day, not sure if played again but the theory that BBC Radio has banned him is wrong. That said I'd have thought something off Dog On A Chain would've made Radio 2's playlist, I've a feeling River Clean might still make it and surprise us all.

I'm curious as to why so little PR was done in support of the album. Certainly Morrissey did none, if you discount the few concerts he played. And I didn't see much evidence of BMG doing any. The almost complete lack of radio play indicates that no plugging was done (I'm assuming that pluggers are still a thing - correct me if they aren't.) The album's release seems to have been done with both parties expending as little effort and expenditure as possible.
It feels to me like Morrissey and BMG are going their separate ways, and both parties want the end of contract to be as untraumatic as possible.

It is very narrow.

Everyone loves a comeback though, so he could go courting the press (it's never too late) or he could wait till someone is intrigued enough to start pitching about him, which will happen eventually.

He's potentially a great story - all that immigrant queerness contrasted with the moral panic he keeps triggering in the media everytime they think he's being right-wing.
I think Morrissey is brave and secure in the knowledge that he’s well positioned to take enormous risks. It can’t have escaped his attention that any sales woes or any level of media hostility could be resolved with a single phone call to a certain guitarist. Anyone who thinks Morrissey is remotely bothered by any of this is deluded. He holds all the cards. Still. He could pick the haters’ pockets in an instant.

It's the first time ever a new album of his has had practically zero airplay. The albums usually tumble out of the charts within 4 weeks but that's when they have a single on Radio 2 being played to millions. Without any support it was always going to sink like a stone especially with 60% fan desertion since he supported For Britain. I actually bought my copy in week 2. I might have been the only one!
Out of the three songs released as instant grats instead of conventional singles I think Knockabout World would sound great as a promo for the album on Radio 2, it's the ideal length with shimmering tune and singalong chorus plus shows Moz in a forgiving light despite an unsocial media kicking in recent times.

It is very narrow.

Everyone loves a comeback though, so he could go courting the press (it's never too late) or he could wait till someone is intrigued enough to start pitching about him, which will happen eventually.

He's potentially a great story - all that immigrant queerness contrasted with the moral panic he keeps triggering in the media everytime they think he's being right-wing.
He's ALWAYS been a great story, a fascinating character and truly unique.

There has been less than no publicity for this album. Could it be that BBC’s diversity agenda is actually rather narrow? Having shat on Cliff Richards, Morrissey seems to be next in line.
Morrissey is not consistent BBC material because he does not belong to the club. Individuals working in the BBC have given him publicity and airplay in the past but not at the moment, because everyone is too polarised and afraid of free speech. He's too independent. The BBC does not like personal sovereignty and Morrissey to his credit has never given his up. I don't know what Cliff Richard is doing in the same sentence as Morrissey, Cliff Richard was always in the club.
Morrissey will always sing his life irrespective of who is listening or buying, because he must.

Well as I've said previously BBC Radio Scotland DJ Billy Sloan played songs from the new album over four consecutive weeks in the lead up to release with a bit of chat about the songs, upcoming tour etc. He's only on once a week on a Sat night so limited exposure but a very well respected DJ and maybe it helped sales in Scotland. Once I Saw The River Clean was played on Radio 2 the other day, not sure if played again but the theory that BBC Radio has banned him is wrong. That said I'd have thought something off Dog On A Chain would've made Radio 2's playlist, I've a feeling River Clean might still make it and surprise us all.
Yes, the BBC Scotland exposure will have made a difference. And Radio 2 have played it once. In many respects that gets them off the hook. They can now say there wasno boycott. If they do stick River Clean on the playlist it certainly will have an impact. Could bring the albu m back into the lower reaches of the top 100!

Radio stations have playlists of records they must play; Morrissey clearly wasn’t on that list. And independent of that, radio show hosts such as Russel Brand and Johnathan Ross (who’d definitely play Morrissey) have been ushered off the airways following hate campaigns. Censorship is occurring in the most effective way possible—i.e. insidiously and invisibly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Morrissey is brave and secure in the knowledge that he’s well positioned to take enormous risks. It can’t have escaped his attention that any sales woes or any level of media hostility could be resolved with a single phone call to a certain guitarist. Anyone who thinks Morrissey is remotely bothered by any of this is deluded. He holds all the cards. Still. He could pick the haters’ pockets in an instant.
I can't see him making that call as he seems quite happy with the loyal band members with him just now, Mando's the newest recruit but even he's been there for several years now and I like to see the current group behind Moz when they finally appear from the side of stage shadows. I agree with the rest of your post.

Morrissey is not consistent BBC material because he does not belong to the club. Individuals working in the BBC have given him publicity and airplay in the past but not at the moment, because everyone is too polarised and afraid of free speech. He's too independent. The BBC does not like personal sovereignty and Morrissey to his credit has never given his up. I don't know what Cliff Richard is doing in the same sentence as Morrissey, Cliff Richard was always in the club.
Morrissey will always sing his life irrespective of who is listening or buying, because he must.
You paint a noble picture of the man. Unfortunately, he has announced to the world that he prefers his own race and, as a result, tens of thousands of decent people (former fans), radio stations, nightclubs, music shops and websites, have decided they want nothing more to do with him.

I can't see him making that call as he seems quite happy with the loyal band members with him just now, Mando's the newest recruit but even he's been there for several years now and I like to see the current group behind Moz when they finally appear from the side of stage shadows. I agree with the rest of your post.
I agree it’s unlikely, but I think Morrissey has a consciousness of the possibility which supports his risk taking. Indeed, according to Marr he’d agreed to it happening; just after his Sanctuary Records project collapsed.

Also, if it did happen I’m confident live shows would be conditional upon support for his solo projects. Actors (e.g. Robert de Niro) strike such compromise deals all the time. It wouldn’t inevitably mean an end to his work with his current band.

65920EF3-9D7D-4B66-A849-91799A12A428.jpeg

I disagree with your last, I think he’s really interested in his audience, as any concept of stardom (ascending or declining) depends on that. Even the ‘finished’ stars recalled in Morrissey’s ‘Exit Smiling’ were loved on wet Sundays in Stretford.

I disagree with your last, I think he’s really interested in his audience, as any concept of stardom (ascending or declining) depends on that. Even the ‘finished’ stars recalled in Morrissey’s ‘Exit Smiling’ were loved on wet Sundays in Stretford.
Yes, he is interested in his audience and I was not inferring he isn't. He is interested in chart positions too, but my point was, not at the cost of being able to do what he wants or say what he wants. He doesn't play anyone else's game and that has cost him in terms of airplay, positive publicity and resultant sales. On a personal level, he pays attention to his audience at his concerts, which not all artists do.

There was a time when I thought that might happen, once his bank balance dropped low enough. But I don't think it's that simple any more. I think the moment has passed - there was a sweet spot a few years back when their paths collided and it was (apparently) talked about, then Morrissey (apparently) went off the idea. But since then Johnny has been very vocal about Morrissey's opinions, going out of his way to signal their differences. I can't help thinking even if Morrissey did come calling that it would be Johnny this time who would say no.

edited to say: I also think Morrissey, having been a solo artist for so long, would be reluctant to share the stage with anyone these days. He needs the adulation, he needs to be the centre of attention and he definitely doesn't want a deified guitarist hogging the limelight, having views on song choices or telling him what he can't say to the press.

Last edited:
Radio stations have playlists of records they must play; Morrissey clearly wasn’t on that list. And independent of that, radio show hosts such as Russel Brand and Johnathan Ross (who’d definitely play Morrissey) have been ushered off the airways following hate campaigns. Censorship is occurring in the most effective way possible—i.e. insidiously and invisibly.
totally agree,the old guard of djs were almost as important as the records they were playing,you had people like kid jenson and tommy vance with the heavy rock side of things,they would go out of their way to find new talent and push to get the songs on the airwaves.now the djs are just out of nappies and they press a button while other people in the background do all the technical work.

Also, if it did happen I’m confident live shows would be conditional upon support for his solo projects. Actors (e.g. Robert de Niro) strike such compromise deals all the time. It wouldn’t inevitably mean an end to his work with his current band.
that's the problem hovis,would you ditch a bunch of people who have been with you for a long time just for a nostalgia payday,iv always said if the smiths reformed I wouldn't go to see them because it would be done for the wrong reasons.

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom