Official YouTube "Introducing Morrissey" premiere - May 29, 2020

I have this on DVD, and his hair was beautiful. My favorite Morrissey era.
100%. Funnily enough I watched it on DVD a few days ago. He seems to fall asleep during Moonriver or maybe he forgot the words. Great concert with Moz in his prime.

The montage at the end showing people on stage was filmed in Sheffield. I went to the Sheffield one and am on the video, have you looked there?
Which one are you, or is that uncouth to ask? Would have loved to be there. When it was broadcast on Irish TV (around '94 maybe) it played 'Swinging on a star' for the montage/end credits. They replaced it with Will Never Marry for the DVD. I assume for royalty reasons?

Well I don't understand that statement. Moz's voice is better than ever, as evidenced on the latest album.

I agree. In fact, whilst watching this video, I was thinking how he actually became a better singer over the past quarter of a century; the opposite trajectory of most singers.

When it was broadcast on Irish TV (around '94 maybe) it played 'Swinging on a star' for the montage/end credits. They replaced it with Will Never Marry for the DVD. I assume for royalty reasons?

Really? :lbf: Swing on a Moz.

btw Surface is the one who gives Moz a kiss, it is a moment Surface will treasure forever.

:cool:

Well I don't understand that statement. Moz's voice is better than ever, as evidenced on the latest album.
I think his voice is smoother in the studio than it used to be, but his live performances have suffered. He seems bored to me and the singing style is more talky than it once was.

Interesting to read the comments here...

After the success of Vauxhall and I, this was the tour where the music press again turned against Morrissey and he was dismissed as irrelevant. I remember when the video was (eventually) released it was given a scathing review in the NME who accused him of being a historical figure.

I think some of the specific criticisms of Morrissey's persona at this time are valid as he looks like he is enjoying himself a lot less than he had been on previous tours. There is also less interaction with the audience.

There are some great songs performed and some not so great songs. Fatty, Whatever Happens I Love You, Have-a-Go Merchant and Moonriver are not exactly Morrissey at his best.

I quite enjoy the performance, but don't view it with as much nostalgia as some.

Attending the opening night of that tour, at the Glasgow Barrowland Ballroom, was one of the greatest nights of my Moz Life; not the greatest concert, by a long chalk, but responsible for one of my Top 5 'heightened memories' of Mozness ~ the "Shoplifters..." encore. First Smiths song he'd played in a shade over 6 years. Never heard a crowd sound like it, before or since. And he actually got through the whole song. Unlike most of the rest of the tour. From Motherwell on, the word was out, and it was billy bedlam before bedtime. Oh well.

í remember too, in them days, you would experience the tour in real-time awe and wonder {in my case 4 shows, including opening & closing nights} and then a few months down the line, you would get the fanzine tour issues, with reviews, impressions, silly notes, wee details & pics. Good things came to those who wait. Can you imagine?

Other memories that pricked to-night, thinking back to Glasgow, within the first 3 or 4 songs noticing the difference in Moz on stage, his movement seemed more stiff and cautious, even nervous. He kept looking behind him, as if he was tripping over his lead, like a jittery ballroom dancer. He did seem more of a bruiser that time round though, given the whirling dervish of 91~92, more Stanley Baker than Stanley Spencer. By Drury Lane, í had either gotten used to the new routine, or he'd revved up.

It was quite surprisng how faltering he could often be vocally on the film. "Now My Heart is Full" was half-empty. í don't reallly understand how one could argue with the case that the Moz voice now is pretty immaculate, in a way that would have been scarely imaginable back then.
í gather that SPM wasn't in that great a shape, head, heart and all, for most of 1995, and, if you believe some, it was a minor miracle that he made it to 96.

I think his voice is smoother in the studio than it used to be, but his live performances have suffered. He seems bored to me and the singing style is more talky than it once was.
Ah yes, I get you. I was thinking the same watching M in Manchester and Introducing Morrissey. The energy on stage and the effort put into singing. Of course Moz is older now but there are ways he could liven up concerts. Change it up, do acoustic versions now and again, dip deeper into back catalogue, vary the setlist every night or every other night. And sing all the words.

Ah yes, I get you. I was thinking the same watching M in Manchester and Introducing Morrissey. The energy on stage and the effort put into singing. Of course Moz is older now but there are ways he could liven up concerts. Change it up, do acoustic versions now and again, dip deeper into back catalogue, vary the setlist every night or every other night. And sing all the words.
Sing all of the RIGHT words, too.

Could be worse. He could be Dylan...

Which one are you, or is that uncouth to ask? Would have loved to be there. When it was broadcast on Irish TV (around '94 maybe) it played 'Swinging on a star' for the montage/end credits. They replaced it with Will Never Marry for the DVD. I assume for royalty reasons?

It was a dispute over permission to use the song

This is my favorite live concert of his. I wore this out when it was released on VHS. I wore out Live in Dallas first. This is far superior.
I think he learned alot about jumping too much while trying to croon. Live in Dallas is a little raw and embarrassing and they really streamlined in the time leading to this show. It's nearly perfect. That was an exciting time. I was just a little "freak f*****" in my farming factory town and this helped me through in so many ways.

It is a pity that Moz didn't tour Vauxhall & I / Boxers EP worldwide, and so I missed out on that tour. The setlist contains a lot of great songs, but his early day hits as a solo-artist are missing. The band's playing has been steadily improving since 1991, they sounded well rehearsed here. Morrissey's looks and stage personality were probably at their best in the earlier years, his voice has continued to improve afterwards. I agree that the urgency to perform was not 100% there, but he was still giving a lot. There's still a lot of adoration from the crowd. This may not have been an absolute topper all around, but it is easy to see why people look back on this period with so much affection.

I would love to see the '92 Hollywood Bowl show. I think that was filmed professionally as well?

Did 3 gigs on this tour. Aston Leisure Centre, Bristol and Cardiff. He was unwell in Cardiff and Bristol and I was really ill at Aston but the Boxers tour will always hold a special place in my heart. Morrissey tours seemed like rare events in those early solo years and this was also the first tour he had started to do some Smiths songs. London and Shoplifters from memory. I remember the crowd at Aston being mental, a Saturday night in Britain's second biggest city....indeed it was so mental I had to fight my way back out of the crowd as it was sooooo f***ing hot.
I got up on stage in Cardiff but was ushered off before I could shake his hand, my mate was a bit more fortunate. Glorious times - hard to believe it's 25 years ago. Where did all the time go?

Good to see Steve and the band looking lively and youthful but ...
the Boxers single was really the moment when the rot started to set in.
Although YA and V&I were good albums, the amazing melodic zing of the Marr/Bona Drag era was clearly gone and, post-Vauxhall, we had 15 years of so-so indie guitar music with just the odd gem thrown in. The best thing you can say about Boxers is that it's quite pleasant, Whatever Happens is 'interesting' mainly due to the woodwind, but Have-a-go Merchant is just third rate, and this set the pattern for the next decade and a half. The quality of the (musical) song-writing on Dog on a Chain is so much better than most of this era. The gorgeously melodic Knockabout World, the multi-dimensional musical feast of Bobby, the haunting wistfulness of Hurling Days, the pure pop joy of River Clean. Really, these compositions are just streets ahead of Have-a-go Merchant, Boxers, and the dismal trudge of Southpaw Grammar that would be released in just a few months time. We really need to be grateful that he's assembled a musical team capable of brilliance once more.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom