Is your other half a smiths/morrissey fan?

Not in the slightest. The argument we constantly have is that he loves Alain's solo work with The Motivators and Red Lightning...even Johnny Panic..but not Morrissey. I keep telling him "he co wrote some of Mozzer's best songs..how can you not like them?" (I think he just likes being stubborn with me....):p

He completely hates him! its almost bordering on the pathalogical. It has caused real arguments in our house. :( I have a thing that if i hear a quote or something that reminds me of morrissey or the smiths i have to comment, ie your not right in the head or something... so now i really have to bite my tongue not to mention anything to do with Morrissey when that happens. He does admit that some of the music is good but thinks Morrissey is a terrible singer.

My wife is a fan. We met in the late eighties, she was a friend of a friend. I won her over one night when a few of us went to her (Manchester University) Halls room. I was a bit drunk, and spotted her huge Morrissey poster on the wall, I walked in and kissed it. That was Friday, we started dating on the Monday. We got engaged years later, on the day that Southpaw was released. Moz played at our wedding (not!), but he did start the Esteban comeback tour on our Anniversary, which was very nice of him!

Last edited:
Brel said:
My wife is a fan. We met in the late eighties, she was a friend of a friend. I won her over one night when a few of us went to her (Manchester University) Halls room. I was a bit drunk, and spotted her huge Morrissey poster on the wall, I walked in and kissed it. That was Friday, we started dating on the Monday.
Nice story that, i sometimes wonder what it would be like to be with someone who adore's Morrissey like i do... However i do feel i would not like to share my stuff with someone else so, onwards with the battle;)

He wasn't, but is now! With his 8th Morrissey concert coming up next Sunday I think I've succeeded in brainwashing him! No, seriously, I took him to see him in Hartlepool '99 and he thought it was OK, but Manchester MEN really won him over and his walkman has nearly as much Morrissey on as mine!

vicarinatutugal said:
Nice story that, i sometimes wonder what it would be like to be with someone who adore's Morrissey like i do... However i do feel i would not like to share my stuff with someone else so, onwards with the battle;)

Think about it though, you'd have the other person's stuff to share with you! I always think it's a good idea for us Moz apostles to have somebody to bequest our worldly goods to (and not get thrown in a charity shop..can you imagine some old biddy pricing up Peepholism at 20p?)

My other half's name is Sheila and i've never been able to realy figure out if she likes THAT SONG but generally i'd say she mildly aprooves of the smiths/morrisey although i've never actually caught her listening to them

My GF hates Moz, because she says that i love Morrissey more than her (she is right :p ) I always want to watch Who puts the "M" in Manchester, and she have never complained about it....when i asked her why, she told me the truth: She finds Deano Butherworth irresistible for her.
Something funny with my ex, while i was with her she always said that, she didn't like Moz/Smths, but when we broke up. She refused to give me all my collection back and now she is a real Moz's fan.

Yes. For a long time, he was the bigger fan, but he dislikes Ringleader, so I might be the bigger fan now. But, yeah, he works out while singing Morrissey songs every day. love, math+

My wife and kids HATE him. They will not give it a chance. My wife said he sounds gay so now that is all I hear from my kids. It would be great she loved him like I do. Plus, I sing it all the time and they say it drives them crazy. Lately I have been obsessed with his music.

masterrhodes said:
My wife and kids HATE him. They will not give it a chance. My wife said he sounds gay so now that is all I hear from my kids. It would be great she loved him like I do. Plus, I sing it all the time and they say it drives them crazy. Lately I have been obsessed with his music.
Wait til your kids grow a little, and you'll see the difference, i can swear they'll love him aswell!

Yes! At least, since I introduced her to Moz in 2004. Now she's seen him 4 times and even likes some of the Smiths songs (as she can be heard saying on my recording of Ally Pally :D).

vicarinatutugal said:
He completely hates him! its almost bordering on the pathalogical. It has caused real arguments in our house. :( I have a thing that if i hear a quote or something that reminds me of morrissey or the smiths i have to comment, ie your not right in the head or something... so now i really have to bite my tongue not to mention anything to do with Morrissey when that happens. He does admit that some of the music is good but thinks Morrissey is a terrible singer.
The same happens to me but with my friends!!! I just got to the point that when i'm with them i just don't talk about Moz anymore nor play any of Moz/Smiths's music.
As you guys might, i do have 5 friends who really like Moz/Smiths aswell, and when we are together...the others just have to bare us!

Back
Top Bottom