John Peel's Festive 50

T

Tingle

Remember the days when The Smiths and then Morrissey (solo) charted time and again in John Peel's Festive 50 (as voted for by his listeners)? How Soon is Now made it to numer 1 even though it was 'just' the additional track on 'William'.

Those were the days when Peel played 5 or 10 tracks per evening and you had to record the shows night after night. Now he plays them all in one go and makes the list available on the internet. Kids have it easy these days. When I were a lad....

Still not much 'black' music in there I see

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/alt/peel_features/peel_festive_fifty_2001.shtml
john_mic_200x150.jpg

Forgot to say that Halfman Half Biscuit, The Fall and David Gedge are still keeping up appearances.

> Remember the days when The Smiths and then Morrissey (solo) charted time
> and again in John Peel's Festive 50 (as voted for by his listeners)? How
> Soon is Now made it to numer 1 even though it was 'just' the additional
> track on 'William'.

> Those were the days when Peel played 5 or 10 tracks per evening and you
> had to record the shows night after night. Now he plays them all in one go
> and makes the list available on the internet. Kids have it easy these
> days. When I were a lad....

> Still not much 'black' music in there I see

Re: H M H B

> Forgot to say that Halfman Half Biscuit, The Fall and David Gedge are
> still keeping up appearances.

What's the best Half Man Half Biscuit album? Is there a Greatest Hits?.. Always been curious.. never dived in!

The only one I know the name of is 'Back in the DHSS' which, of it's time, was quite clever, but like many ~14 year old jokes, it now looks out of time. I think there is a compilation that includes the acclaimed 'Trumpton Riots' EP

The song that goes "there is nothing better in life than writing on the sole of your slippers with a biro" is funny if you've ever done it - and you had the right sort of slippers with tan coloured rubber soles. But once you've heard it you don't really need to hear it again.

Try to borrow it from someone!

> What's the best Half Man Half Biscuit album? Is there a Greatest Hits?..
> Always been curious.. never dived in!

"I Hate Nerys Hughes" was good for a bit of three minute noise pop.

> Forgot to say that Halfman Half Biscuit, The Fall and David Gedge are
> still keeping up appearances.

Does anyone ah actually buy ah Fall albums these days ah! There's a lot of those bands in my collection, don't know if that's good or bad.

> Does anyone ah actually buy ah Fall albums these days ah! There's a lot of
> those bands in my collection, don't know if that's good or bad.

Of course people buy albums by The Fall. The frail, malingering malcontents, people who live in East London, container drivers, hip priests, geezers clled Jack, city hobgoblins, pharmacists and the like. Prole art riot uh! Completely irrelevent stuff of course but utterly essential. Just like Mozboy.

...surely ANY chart with The Strokes and White Stripes in there is insignificant, whoever's chart...

Re: ...surely ANY chart with The Strokes and White Stripes in there is insignificant, whoever's char

Give the Strokes some credit for helping sweep away the lo-fi indie movement that threatened (however charming and beuatiful some of it was) away.. Noise works for me! And the White tripes are just great (check out track 10!!)!

Incidentally.. bought the Goldfrapp album on your (I think) say-so.. Not that overwhelmed I must say.. so, tell me what I should be looking for.. what's the high lights for you? Guide me, and I may see the praise you hint at!

Goldfrapp....

.sit back, have a spliff and listen in awe to the glorious rudeness of the lavish Lovely Head, the goose-pimple-inducing Deer Stop (especially the last minute and a half)..... the whole album is awesome, but may take a few listens - it's definite mood music. Surprised you don't like it much - everyone I've bought this for, and recommended it to, has absolutely loved it....

The Strokes? Nah, just TOO derivative.> Give the Strokes some credit for helping sweep away the lo-fi indie
> movement that threatened (however charming and beuatiful some of it was)
> away.. Noise works for me! And the White tripes are just great (check out
> track 10!!)!

> Incidentally.. bought the Goldfrapp album on your (I think) say-so.. Not
> that overwhelmed I must say.. so, tell me what I should be looking for..
> what's the high lights for you? Guide me, and I may see the praise you
> hint at!

> What's the best Half Man Half Biscuit album? Is there a Greatest Hits?..
> Always been curious.. never dived in!

No, there isn't a "Best of" available, but I'd recommend any of them really. It's a bit annoying that people still only remember them for their debut LP back in 1985. Forget about that. They've been pumping out top quality material ever since (check out link below to semi-official website). I'd recommend either of the last two LPs for a beginner, as the references are more recent. Go out and buy "Four Lads Who Shook the Wirral" or "Trouble Over Bridgwater" and you won't be disappointed. National treasures.

TMF

Half Man Half Biscuit site

Back
Top Bottom