Kill Uncle appreciation thread

I love this album. I always have. Maybe because it was the first one I ever heard, and it was brand new when I discovered him. But I don't think it's nostalgia. I actually really do love the album. And I think that Asian Rut is an interesting song because it's occasionally heralded as proof of his openness to multiculturalism (by those who try to claim he's not a racist) but it's actually about a drug addled violent vengeful Asian guy waging an impotent war on skinheads. Morrissey, the fly on the wall, is simply wondering why the violence needs to occur at all...in other words, why the problem has to exist in the first place.

I think it's definitely possible Morrissey has racist proclivities. I'm not even going to try to say otherwise. But I also think he's much more a nationalist than a dyed in the wool "racist" and I think too that to a certain degree in MOST people (of any color) racism is a natural instinct. I'm not saying it's good; I'm just saying it's there. I do not think he'd ever condone violence or segregation.Well. Not violence anyway.

Regarding his views on nationalism or Islam or whatever...I think that when he called out May and Sadiq Kahn two years ago with his retort "an extreme what? An extreme rabbit?" because they admitted the attack was by extremists but stopped short of saying extreme Islamists (who proudly took credit for the attack immediately) his point was that the PC culture sanitized the truth to a point he could not stomach.

He's not a racist. Well, maybe he's a bit of a racist. But there are good racists with no hate in their heart. Look at the true blue eyes of Archie Bunker in the night.

Anyway I love Kill Uncle.

Last edited:
This may be a lonely thread for you buddy, LOL. For me it is like a lot of Moz's solo records, an 'almost' album. had he taken a couple of tracks out and replaced them two of the songs you've posted and maybe dialed up the rockabilly like the live versions you could've had a classic.

Underrated. Sing Your Life, Driving Your Girlfriend Home, There's A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends, End Of The Family line are excellent The rest is good.

This may be a lonely thread for you buddy, LOL. For me it is like a lot of Moz's solo records, an 'almost' album. had he taken a couple of tracks out and replaced them two of the songs you've posted and maybe dialed up the rockabilly like the live versions you could've had a classic.

It's not perfect. Harsh Truth has all the verve of a crippled septuagenarian. The sequencing is not great. There's an overall flat, airy feel to the sound.

But the songs are, by and large, superb.

I think they’re fine songs that have been let down by the production.

They would be interesting to hear live with M’s present band, give them a punch.

It's not perfect. Harsh Truth has all the verve of a crippled septuagenarian. The sequencing is not great. There's an overall flat, airy feel to the sound.

I adore Harsh Truth

Harsh Truth, Family Line and even Asian Rut which I know a lot of folks love. These are 3 I would straight swap out. If only the Pregnant/Love Life sessions had been at the same time, you could've cobbled together one of the GREAT albums, with better production. Overall though I do like it.

I think they’re fine songs that have been let down by the production.

They would be interesting to hear live with M’s present band, give them a punch.

Yeah, a punch to the balls that makes the song collapse in on itself in a ball of pain and disharmony.

“Hey, I hear that song you like is on the set list...it’d be a shame if...someone happened to it, wouldn’t it?”
84B13A7B-4AB2-41EC-A99B-CBC9B40B537B.jpeg

Harsh Truth, Family Line and even Asian Rut which I know a lot of folks love. These are 3 I would straight swap out. If only the Pregnant/Love Life sessions had been at the same time, you could've cobbled together one of the GREAT albums, with better production. Overall though I do like it.

Ideal Kill Uncle:

The Loop
Our Frank
Mute Witness
Sing Your Life
Asian Rut
King Leer

Driving Your Girlfriend Home
Found Found Found
Tony The Pony
(I'm) The End Of The Family Line
There's a Place In Hell for Me and My Friends

Ideal Kill Uncle:

The Loop
Our Frank
Mute Witness
Sing Your Life
Asian Rut
King Leer

Driving Your Girlfriend Home
Found Found Found
Tony The Pony
(I'm) The End Of The Family Line
There's a Place In Hell for Me and My Friends

This is actually pretty close but unfortunately I have slight OCD and having an album with 11 tracks is just too much for me to deal with, LOL. I really wish The Loop & Tony the Pony had been in there.

This is actually pretty close but unfortunately I have slight OCD and having an album with 11 tracks is just too much for me to deal with, LOL. I really wish The Loop & Tony the Pony had been in there.

I'm the same way, brother. 11 bothers me. 12 is ideal but if you divorce it from the anachronistic vinyl/cassette bullshit then the side equity is moot.

I’ve always enjoyed this album too. It’s a shame that Morrissey has disowned it.
“Mute Witness” is one of my favorite songs, I just love the crazy little world that story creates. And “Our Frank” is a classic in my book, and the video is so good too.
I was impressed with the remastered version that got released a few years ago as I thought it sounded way better and crisper...though I love the original artwork and could never condone changing it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom