Like/dislike voting

No1uno

Member of the Month™
Subscriber
in another thread you explained that this system allows the forum members to have a hand in the moderation. I actually think this addresses a lot of the issues many have mentioned in the past.

Posters - David has given you the power you have so desperately pleaded for - USE IT.

So the down vote system will hide a post if it has 5 downvotes, or 75% downvote of total likes dislikes. I just did my first downvote of something I felt was complete gibberish. It had two other down votes, so two more and it's hidden, right.

I will say, I believe everyones post should be available to be read. It's not like I couldn't handle the post but it speed bumped what should be a no brainier positive thread. Could it be moderated automatically to be moved to a dislike thread in off topic/pigsty (like how you did the fight thread). Some may enjoy reading those sometimes funny but disruptive posts. This will allow these posters to express themselves still and it will be available for others to read if they choose.

Edit - I just checked, anonymous users cannot vote like or dislike so someone would have to be a registered member to vote, and you know, support the process.

Last edited:
Wrong you are. There is absolutely nothing that will change my anonymous status to registered member. You know, there are still people out there who value their privacy (believe it or not).

Same as the above, not much is gonna have me register but on topic can't some with multiple accounts just make something disappear by down voting with all of them or just make it possible to make something disappear just out of spite if people aren't constantly up voting. Seems very labor and click intensive. Just a speculative statement about the subject of crowd management as I'm aware that I'm posting as an anon and won't be able to vote one way or the other

Ok so I have now seen the message has received 5 dislikes and it is hidden. I also notice that another message has been hidden when five "off-topic" votes have been levied.

Another observation is that the "box/folder" icon labels the poster as "troll". How is that dealt with by the moderators?

Edit- one post was hidden when it had 4troll rating and 1dislike rating.

Anon f41 - they could certainly have multiple accounts to do up voting. If that's how someone would choose to spend their time, more power to them, they must be getting fullfillment in their own sick way to be heard.

I don't think you could find a thread where I criticized someone critical of morrissey, so that has never bothered me. So really I'm indifferent to the whole whatever post you make thing. But, I think this is a good excercise in will, not regulation. If the posters don't want something, they have a tool to remove it. If they don't use that tool, the community has spoken and they have little to complain about, err the "why do you come her" responses people put to comments that they could have easily disliked instead.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be worried about multiple accounts up voting but rather down going to hide something

Another observation is that the "box/folder" icon labels the poster as "troll". How is that dealt with by the moderators?

Troll/Off-Topic/Redundant/Dislike are all 'negative' ratings, the others positive. So if there are 2 troll, 1 Off-topic, 1 Funny and 2 Dislikes that would count as 5 'negative' ratings and 1 'positive' rating.

It's not like I couldn't handle the post but it speed bumped what should be a no brainier positive thread. Could it be moderated automatically to be moved to a dislike thread in off topic/pigsty (like how you did the fight thread). Some may enjoy reading those sometimes funny but disruptive posts. This will allow these posters to express themselves still and it will be available for others to read if they choose.

Moving posts automatically to another thread I think would be confusing and disruptive in itself. The off-topic fight thread hasn't been used lately, only if things get totally out of control. Once things are moved there it's pretty much the end of it as looking at the thread itself context is lost once a bunch of things are merged. What if someone voted a post positive and it became unhidden, would it be moved back? And what if someone replied to the post, what happens to that reply? That's too complicated.

Also, mentioning something like something should be 'a no brainer positive thread' is not something I totally align with, just as there isn't anything 'no brainer negative'. Different opinions and humor may be offensive to some but not others.

Back
Top Bottom