London Protest

roky

I was just wanted to say if any solo-rs in London are at the protest, I hope you are OK?
300% increase in tuition is unheard of. That is totally ridiculous. I hope everyone is safe. But give them HELL
Roky

£9000, it might be 'up to £9000', but I remember that figure from the Today programme this morning.

On average? The reason why I am asking is because Americans pay a shitload for college here. I have to go to a sub-par community college in order to save money. I am glad I did, 'cause I could just learn about life here.

I was just wanted to say if any solo-rs in London are at the protest, I hope you are OK?
300% increase in tuition is unheard of. That is totally ridiculous. I hope everyone is safe. But give them HELL
Roky

Let's not forget who introduced tuition fees in the first place.
Something else I learned today - the report that led to today's increase was the result of a CROSS PARTY (that's all of them) panel set up in 2009 BY LABOUR. And the recommendation was to abolish the fees cap altogether.

Labour are not your friends.

I'm so glad that students are protesting and wish them the best in solidarity.

In Australia, Universities are becoming degree producing factories with little rsearch culture. A revolving door basically. When fee caps are removed next year then it will become a case of those who can pay. Sadly, no protests from students here.

Let's not forget who introduced tuition fees in the first place.
Something else I learned today - the report that led to today's increase was the result of a CROSS PARTY (that's all of them) panel set up in 2009 BY LABOUR. And the recommendation was to abolish the fees cap altogether.

Labour are not your friends.

The Browne Review was indeed set up by the Labour Government, it was meant to consider the balance of the contributions made by govt, students, graduates and employers towards university finances.

But by the time it published its review the ConDem coalition was in government; with it's ideologically driven austerity measures and a decision to cut 80% off the teaching budgets given to universities. There has been no mention of employers contributing towards university finances (god forbid the Tories would tax business) and a principle that students shouldn't have to pay up front for fees. So, with no money from Govt, none from business and none from students, the govt have decided to lump the costs of a university education on to graduates.

I don't think that Labour have ever said they wouldn't have raised tuition fees, but there is no way they would have been trebled.

Personally I've always been in favour of a graduate tax (back in the day, I was a student activist and advocated such a policy. Mind you, our student debt protests never got more exciting than singing "we're not paying our loans back" and trying to meet your MP in the lobby chamber, and I only left uni with a debt to the Student Loans Company of about £5000) - a small % added to your income tax once you've graduated. I don't believe the scaremongerers that claim there will be a brain drain with the most talent graduates leaving the country to avoid the tax.

Dave

Conservative government scrapped polytechnics and made them as universities in early 90s which was a big mistake.

British higher education system was heavily relied on fees from oversea students.
However, the economic crisis in mid 90s had a massive impact on the foreign students, the government decided to introduce university tuition fee from home students.
University tuition fee could have been introduced earlier.
Britain used to have the biggest market in education sector in Europe, but ridiculous new visa system only drives away promising students from non-EU countries.

Conservative government scrapped polytechnics and made them as universities in early 90s which was a big mistake.

British higher education system was heavily relied on fees from oversea students.
However, the economic crisis in mid 90s had a massive impact on the foreign students, the government decided to introduce university tuition fee from home students.
University tuition fee could have been introduced earlier.
Britain used to have the biggest market in education sector in Europe, but ridiculous new visa system only drives away promising students from non-EU countries.

Kewpie, that ridiculous visa rule that has allowed you to live and work in the UK for over 20 years as a non EU citizen?
Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Kewpie, that ridiculous visa rule that has allowed you to live and work in the UK for over 20 years as a non EU citizen?
Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

I still don't like former Conservative Home Office minister Michael Howard, but I did not complain about British immigration rule before 2001.

In 2001 the government introduced the new system which discourages students from non EU countries.

Tags
london protest school tuition
Back
Top Bottom