Merck no longer managing Morrissey

It's definitely significant. Because in the google cache there are pages with Morrissey listed in amongst the other artists whereas in the live version he's been removed. And I definitely remember seeing a news announcement on their site which no longer exists.

And I think this is much more interesting than what animal Morrissey should be or pages and pages about his hair.

It's definitely significant. Because in the google cache there are pages with Morrissey listed in amongst the other artists whereas in the live version he's been removed. And I definitely remember seeing a news announcement on their site which no longer exists.

And I think this is much more interesting than what animal Morrissey should be or pages and pages about his hair.

...particularly considering how a new new manager or lack thereof might affect the Southpaw re-release, the tour dates coming up, the new album, etc. There's a lot going on in the world of Morrissey right now.

...particularly considering how a new new manager or lack thereof might affect the Southpaw re-release, the tour dates coming up, the new album, etc. There's a lot going on in the world of Morrissey right now.

I agree. As a fan, I did not like how "the powers that be" released All You Need is Me. If you're selling music and you want it to chart high you need to make it accessible to your fans. (Seems logical, no?) My original Amazon order will not be fulfilled and my Recordstore UK double order was cancelled. I did receive the bundle after my Recordstore order was placed a second time, but when it finally arrived, a week after the release, the momentum to push the single higher on the charts was over, as was my excitement.

That song (and the artwork and all the B sides) are among Moz's best work yet, and it's a crime that they were so difficult to obtain. It deserved to chart much higher.

If I were in Moz's position, I'd be all :gun:

Hopefully the next album release will be managed with greater aplomb!

3. I sort of agree with the sentiment expressed above-- why in the world do we care about Morrissey's managers?

Why care? How about he fails to sell enough "Years of Refusal" albums he has to wait another seven years for a recording contract? One would hope the quality of his work would simply speak for itself and move records but clearly history has shown it takes a coordinated marketing effort PLUS a strong album for Morrissey to matter.

I don't know what to make of the current brouhaha. I just hope there is a plan in place to properly market "Years of Refusal" because I'm a very selfish person, and I want Morrissey to keep making records forever!:)

Maybe they're about to update with newer info on the website..

Perhaps there's a "trapdoor" clause in the contract...

Lack of trivial gossip has led us into speculation on the one topic we rarely get any solid info about..the business contracts and investments of Morrissey. (Has he only spent his money on nice clothes and posh hotels? Hmmmm).
He keeps it hidden,not surprising, considering the reaction of dismay and disillusion caused by that e-mail, allegedly from Morrissey.

It's easier to forget this is the music business that musicians operate within, and keep romantic notions about creative genius and tormented artists quite above the sordid world of ££££ and $$$$$.

Why care? How about he fails to sell enough "Years of Refusal" albums he has to wait another seven years for a recording contract? One would hope the quality of his work would simply speak for itself and move records but clearly history has shown it takes a coordinated marketing effort PLUS a strong album for Morrissey to matter.

I don't know what to make of the current brouhaha. I just hope there is a plan in place to properly market "Years of Refusal" because I'm a very selfish person, and I want Morrissey to keep making records forever!:)

Isn't it interesting that we all seem to think Morrissey's success or failure in the music business hinges almost entirely on his manager? The story is old and it goes on-- from Rogan's narrative of The Smiths imploding because of lack of management to Merck's emergence as a colorful character in his own right these last few years of Morrissey's glorious return. Who benefits most, I wonder, from the perception that Morrissey is a brilliant but passive Little Red Riding Hood with no control over what befalls him in the howling wilderness of "the biz"?

"Email? But I can't even turn on a computer!"

Isn't it interesting that we all seem to think Morrissey's success or failure in the music business hinges almost entirely on his manager?

But haven't we seen with The Smiths that writing simply the best music of the decade doesn't translate into album sales or chart position.

It is a business, sadly. Clearly, the product (Years of Refusal), needs to be a strong album, but if marketed poorly (see latest AYNIM single release) the results can be detrimental for our boy.

Like I stated, I'm selfish. I want him to record forever.:)

But haven't we seen with The Smiths that writing simply the best music of the decade doesn't translate into album sales or chart position.

It is a business, sadly. Clearly, the product (Years of Refusal), needs to be a strong album, but if marketed poorly (see latest AYNIM single release) the results can be detrimental for our boy.

Like I stated, I'm selfish. I want him to record forever.:)

Wait a sec-- isn't writing the best music of the decade enough? I mean it isn't a near-tragic inability to get paid, as with The Go-Betweens. He made money. Does it really matter that "Panic" didn't hit #1?

And in 2008, how much do you think it would cost Morrissey to pay his band to record an album and release it online (a la Radiohead) without any of this record company bullshit? And didn't his "lost" years between "Maladjusted" and "Quarry" prove that he can keep a fan following and make a living touring?

I mean, I get what you're saying on one level. He wants his success on certain terms, so naturally I want the success for him, too. But we really baby him up when we assume he's this fragile artist who bears no responsibility for what happens to him, and would dry up and blow away without a Merck to shepherd him through the valley of darkness.

Wait a sec-- isn't writing the best music of the decade enough? I mean it isn't a near-tragic inability to get paid, as with The Go-Betweens. He made money. Does it really matter that "Panic" didn't hit #1?

And in 2008, how much do you think it would cost Morrissey to pay his band to record an album and release it online (a la Radiohead) without any of this record company bullshit? And didn't his "lost" years between "Maladjusted" and "Quarry" prove that he can keep a fan following and make a living touring?

I mean, I get what you're saying on one level. He wants his success on certain terms, so naturally I want the success for him, too. But we really baby him up when we assume he's this fragile artist who bears no responsibility for what happens to him, and would dry up and blow away without a Merck to shepherd him through the valley of darkness.

Yes, but if he was marketed correctly, perhaps he (and ME!) wouldn't have had to endure seven years without an album. I mean, in retrospect an artist of his caliber not being able to nail a recording contract is absurd.

In terms of the Radiohead comparison, that is the antithesis of Morrissey: he wants to be a pop star, he doesn't want to release to a niche market, he wants to be wooed and courted by labels. He's stated as much many times.

He can't "do a Radiohead" because he doesn't have the fanbase or the goodwill from the media that they command. It's simple as that.

with no new releases would his touring remain as popular , i saw him a few times in this period and it was certainly less busy than it was even on the early yatq tour

Tags
good riddance shocked
Back
Top Bottom