More comments from Merck on TTY

mell

loves moz
Hi guys, I can't keep up with this story so if it's already been posted I apologize, but there seems to be some new stuff on true-to-you from Merck (posted today).

Check the site for more.

Morrissey vs. NME update
29 November 2007

Morrissey vs. NME update

Hi Everyone,

Further to my previous post, we promised to be relentless in bringing the NME and Conor McNicholas to justice and we are being just that.

Here follows our latest statement to the media as well as further legal letters to the NME and Conor McNicholas as well as IPC's (NME's parent company) response.

In addition to this, you will also see an email from myself to Conor McNicholas dated the 5th of November which made Morrissey's position on racism very clear. This email was ignored and you can imagine my surprise when I spoke with the people at "Love Music Hate Racism" this morning and they knew nothing about it - i.e. they were never informed by Conor McNicholas. We can only guess that his personal agenda to unjustly smear Morrissey and sensationally sell more papers took priority over their commitment to this worthy campaign.

Best wishes,

Merck Mercuriadis

29th November, 2007

Los Angeles

"The NME had until 1:00 p.m. today to agree to print a suitable apology to Morrissey. Their only response to this deadline was to say that they 'do not have time to respond to the allegations.' Our lawyers are therefore in the process of issuing legal proceedings for defamation against the NME and its Editor, Conor McNicholas, which will be served tomorrow."

This e-mail from Merck to Conor McNicholas pretty much spells out Morrissey's position, and makes the NME look like mercenary tossers from the word go...

"From: Merck Mercuriadis
Date: November 5, 2007 12:24:18 PM PST
To: Conor McNicholas
Subject: Morrissey / NME / Love Music Hate Racism

Dear Conor,
Morrissey has completed the follow up with Tim and wants there to be no ambiguity in his position that he abhors racism. He has read your "Love Music Hate Racism" issue and believes in what you are doing. As a result he wants to pledge his support to the campaign and add a "Love Music Hate Racism" sticker to the forthcoming 7" cover mount giveaway as well as add the logo to our tickets and advertising for the forthcoming UK dates. I believe Morrissey's voice will be a very powerful one to have behind the campaign - particularly in light of his empathetic songs on the subject such as "I Will See You In Far-Off Places" and "Irish Blood, English Heart" - and it will let the world know how strongly he is opposed to racism and encourage his loyal fans to take the same position.
I will prepare a press release immediately and get it to you by the end of my day.
Best wishes,
Merck "

Peter

This e-mail from Merck to Conor McNicholas pretty much spells out Morrissey's position, and makes the NME look like mercenary tossers from the word go...

"From: Merck Mercuriadis
Date: November 5, 2007 12:24:18 PM PST
To: Conor McNicholas
Subject: Morrissey / NME / Love Music Hate Racism

Dear Conor,
Morrissey has completed the follow up with Tim and wants there to be no ambiguity in his position that he abhors racism. He has read your "Love Music Hate Racism" issue and believes in what you are doing. As a result he wants to pledge his support to the campaign and add a "Love Music Hate Racism" sticker to the forthcoming 7" cover mount giveaway as well as add the logo to our tickets and advertising for the forthcoming UK dates. I believe Morrissey's voice will be a very powerful one to have behind the campaign - particularly in light of his empathetic songs on the subject such as "I Will See You In Far-Off Places" and "Irish Blood, English Heart" - and it will let the world know how strongly he is opposed to racism and encourage his loyal fans to take the same position.
I will prepare a press release immediately and get it to you by the end of my day.
Best wishes,
Merck "

Peter

hmm playing devils advocate, were these comments not made after the two interviews with the NME

Check the site for more.

Morrissey vs. NME update
29 November 2007

Morrissey vs. NME update

Hi Everyone,

Further to my previous post, we promised to be relentless in bringing the NME and Conor McNicholas to justice and we are being just that.

Here follows our latest statement to the media as well as further legal letters to the NME and Conor McNicholas as well as IPC's (NME's parent company) response.

In addition to this, you will also see an email from myself to Conor McNicholas dated the 5th of November which made Morrissey's position on racism very clear. This email was ignored and you can imagine my surprise when I spoke with the people at "Love Music Hate Racism" this morning and they knew nothing about it - i.e. they were never informed by Conor McNicholas. We can only guess that his personal agenda to unjustly smear Morrissey and sensationally sell more papers took priority over their commitment to this worthy campaign.

Best wishes,

Merck Mercuriadis

29th November, 2007

Los Angeles

"The NME had until 1:00 p.m. today to agree to print a suitable apology to Morrissey. Their only response to this deadline was to say that they 'do not have time to respond to the allegations.' Our lawyers are therefore in the process of issuing legal proceedings for defamation against the NME and its Editor, Conor McNicholas, which will be served tomorrow."

While I'm all for suing their asses, I have to say that "to be relentless in bringing the NME ... to justice" sounds like the result of an informal contest between Morrissey and Merck as to who could come up with the most Bush-esque wording.

I especially liked this bit from one of the letters from Moz' lawyers:

Unless this matter is resolved satisfactorily please be under no illusion that our client will strive to take all possible steps to defend his position and the damage done to his reputation by this wholly unjustified attack upon him.

Go get 'em Moz!!

hmm playing devils advocate, were these comments not made after the two interviews with the NME

Yes, I think so, but the point is that the Merck's email shows real mendacity on the part of NME's editorial staff.

After receiving this email from Merck that makes Morrissey's support for the Love Music Hate Racism campaign explicit and unqualified, McNicholas not only ignores it but writes an editorial where he claims that Morrissey's comments "cut directly across the spirit of unity" of Love Music Hate Racism.

I find this standard of editing despicable.

PS. I too think Moz should re-release 'Journalists Who Lie' as a single - I'd buy 10 copies! It's a groovy little track anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom