Morrissey A-Z: "East, West"

BookishBoy

Our song for today is "East, West" - a cover of the Herman's Hermits tune originally included by Morrissey on the 12-inch of the "Ouija Board, Ouija Board" single. (Herman's Hermits released the song as a single in December 1966.)

Written by Graham Gouldman, although Morrissey did re-write a chunk of the words near the end of the song for his version.

What do we think of this one?

You know, this song feels long and drawn out. I am not one to enjoy most of Moz's covers, but something in this song makes me listen to it. Forgive the sports-analogy, but it's as if I am rooting for its first-time at-bat.

I've always liked this one. Classic themes of fame and loneliness, plus I just love hearing Morrissey singing the phrase "lush girls" for some reason!

I really like it.It is what it is.A good B Side.Honestly prefer this to a lot of his other covers including James and Bradford.

Our song for today is "East, West" - a cover of the Herman's Hermits tune originally included by Morrissey on the 12-inch of the "Ouija Board, Ouija Board" single. (Herman's Hermits released the song as a single in December 1966.)

Written by Graham Gouldman, although Morrissey did re-write a chunk of the words near the end of the song for his version.

What do we think of this one?

I like Morrissey's friendly tone of voice. Especially when he sings about loneliness.

Didn't hear the original until later but always liked this cover. @BookishBoy Morrissey singing "lush girls" is the best part of the song. Nevermind not coming from an American songwriter, I think this would have fit well on "California Son."

Last edited:
Autobiography:
"At Santa Barbara Bowl on Tuesday 5th I am told that Peter Noone is watching from side-stage. Peter is from Manchester and attended Stretford Road School near my iron pile slammer, St Wilfrid’s. Peter, of course, sang for Herman’s Hermits, and I had covered their East west, which had probably piqued his curiosity. On a television show a few weeks later, he proudly name-checks me and I blush for a fortnight."

From the archive (2000):
"Hello Shawn,

Thanks for the email. I heard Morisey was a big HH fan, so I was happy he did one of our songs. I think he just missed.I think my version captured the sadness of life on the road better than he was able to do, although I will admit he has cornered the sadness market much better than me. See you in the whirled.

Peter Noone

'The artist formerly known as Herman'"

Gouldman's writing and Salford background would probably resonate with Morrissey.
I'm Not In Love - 10cc
For Your Love - The Yardbirds
Being examples of his work.
Enjoy the song every now and then. Does feel a bit long. Feels like a Kirsty backing vocal or similar was missing from this maybe - has that sound to it.
Regards,
FWD.

"Thanks for the email. I heard Morisey was a big HH fan, so I was happy he did one of our songs. I think he just missed."

To continue the @MrShoes baseball analogy from earlier, Peter Noone thinks this version is a swing-and-a-miss...

it has a kind of beatles flavour to it,probably because of the sound that was around at the time.good song.

the first ten seconds of this is almost identical to the start of TOMORROW.

I like the vocals. The very beginning sounds like a Morrissey song but I can't think of which one. Maybe they ripped this off to write it.

I like the vocals. The very beginning sounds like a Morrissey song but I can't think of which one. Maybe they ripped this off to write it.
its TOMORROW,i noticed it right away.the first ten seconds.

It was probably the best cover that Morrissey had been involved with up to this point, but that is hardly high praise. :) I think the most interesting and impressive thing about it is that Morrissey came up with some lyrical alterations. His lines are an improvement on some of the twee sections of the original.

It's not one of Graham Gouldman's best songs imo and this version probably wasn't helped by it being produced at a time when the lineup was changing on a regular basis (Armstrong/Seligman/Paresi in this case).

In the poll on the other board it ranked 245th from 264 solo songs.

It was probably the best cover that Morrissey had been involved with up to this point, but that is hardly high praise. :) I think the most interesting and impressive thing about it is that Morrissey came up with some lyrical alterations. His lines are an improvement on some of the twee sections of the original.

It's not one of Graham Gouldman's best songs imo and this version probably wasn't helped by it being produced at a time when the lineup was changing on a regular basis (Armstrong/Seligman/Paresi in this case).

In the poll on the other board it ranked 245th from 264 solo songs.
Yes, definitely better than the Christmassy / family bit at the end of the original!

No,I dislike this song a lot.While I respect that others have different opinions to me and Morrissey likes this song I feel that to me it's too twee.

I've always liked this one. Classic themes of fame and loneliness, plus I just love hearing Morrissey singing the phrase "lush girls" for some reason!
One of his better cover versions and much better than the A-side.

Something is wrong though because I am pretty sure I bought the single for Ouija Board but I don't remember hearing this until sometime in the last few years. The US single must have had another b-side.
Can't find it but maybe one only had "Yes I Am Blind" or maybe I didn't buy it when it was new but I used to try to get one version of all the singles.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom