Morrissey A-Z: "El Cóndor Pasa"

BookishBoy

Today's entry in the A-Z is the live performance of "El Cóndor Pasa" from his show in Lima in December 2015. (The Wikipedia entry on this song's history is good stuff, particularly around the Paul Simon misunderstanding / court case about the copyright of the original song.)

Anyhow: what do we think of this?

A nice gesture to the people of Peru. If he could select any song for this task, this was the one.

I thought we only did released songs?
Anyway, this is a fantastic song and Morrissey does it justice.

BOTW was one of my fave albums as a youngster. I found a vinyl copy in the attic that was my parents, and played it often for about 5 years. A long hiatus followed until I saw it was being released last February on gold vinyl to commemorate 50 years since its release. A revisit it confirmed it was still a very pleasant listen. El Condor is a rather pleasant addition on the LP. Morrissey does very well in Lima. :bow:

Yeah, I'm not totally sure why it's on the list, but nice to hear it! And it gives us time to gird our loins for the big song tomorrow...
I think I know which song you mean, and it’s a BIG one.

Love this song, grew up on the Simon & Garfunkel version. Not a particularly strong performance, but the crowd obviously appreciates it deeply. Seems like a "you had to be there" kind of thing.

good version,good song.it is strange that this is in the list of songs,it should only be songs that have appeared on albums and others that have been recorded in the studio.

Like most of the rarely performed live covers that Morrissey has done, I enjoy this and think his voice sounds strong. It's not something that I listen to all that often, but I enjoy it when I hear it.

I also have no problem discussing it in these kinds of threads, as most of us are not exactly busy right now. :)

Last edited:
Any song featuring panpipes is automatically shit. Let us never speak of this again.

Yeah, I'm not totally sure why it's on the list, but nice to hear it! And it gives us time to gird our loins for the big song tomorrow...
We've had live only cover versions on the list before (Alone Again (Naturally)). This was based on the Wiki list and I left in everything that's available in some recorded form. If we only did released songs I would have had to remove songs like Kit And Striptease With A Difference as well... I believe Morrissey always chooses the songs he covers very consciously, so I think they're worth discussing, but feel free to modify the list as you like - this was your idea after all!

As for the song itself, I think he sings it beautifully and it must have been a special moment.

We've had live only cover versions on the list before (Alone Again (Naturally)). This was based on the Wiki list and I left in everything that's available in some recorded form. If we only did released songs I would have had to remove songs like Kit And Striptease With A Difference as well... I believe Morrissey always chooses the songs he covers very consciously, so I think they're worth discussing, but feel free to modify the list as you like - this was your idea after all!

As for the song itself, I think he sings it beautifully and it must have been a special moment.
Oh good point, forgot about the Gilbert O'Sullivan one already! And I'm happy to stick with the list, as my Morrissey knowledge pales in comparison to yours and that of many others on here. But it's really fun to do one of these every day and read through all the reactions, etc.

Oh good point, forgot about the Gilbert O'Sullivan one already! And I'm happy to stick with the list, as my Morrissey knowledge pales in comparison to yours and that of many others on here. But it's really fun to do one of these every day and read through all the reactions, etc.

It definitely is! You've already earned the title of member of the year for coming up with the idea and doing this every day! ❤

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom