Morrissey A-Z: "He Cried"

Although there are plenty of Morrissey songs that I myself would describe as ‘dull’, melancholy, subtle slowburners like ‘He Cried’ could never be one. Quite frankly, I think it’s deeply unfair to call it dull. It’s supposed to be slow and ‘uneventful’, I think. That’s the mood of the song and the protagonist of the song.

Nothing really happening in this song at all....
it limps on to the bitter end...
Rather dull and uneventful
Come on Barry. Limp and you go hand in hand. Im disappointed in you and your lack of lust for this song and album.
Leeds arena and Glasgow Hydro were 6 years ago tonight and tomorrow respectively . You would have been a one, maybe?? The two best nights of that arena tour.

Come on Barry. Limp and you go hand in hand. Im disappointed in you and your lack of lust for this song and album.
Leeds arena and Glasgow Hydro were 6 years ago tonight and tomorrow respectively . You would have been a one, maybe?? The two best nights of that arena tour.
I never mentioned the album Janice....
It’s just a nothing song to me....
Yes I was at the Hydro.....
And yes it was a good one...
It was in between my mother dying and her funeral....
if I remember was buffy the support act?? Can’t remember her full title 🤪

I think it's overshadowed by other songs on the record but it's a nice mid-tier Morrissey song that would make a good b-side.

I never mentioned the album Janice....
It’s just a nothing song to me....
Yes I was at the Hydro.....
And yes it was a good one...
It was in between my mother dying and her funeral....
if I remember was buffy the support act?? Can’t remember her full title 🤪
Buffy St Marie (y)

Ah yes... she wasn’t bad for an olde hippy....
can remember I got pestered from a woman behind me from PETA ...
I was off my tits anyway so I was glad to talk her face off 😜
The lady from PETA kicked of when meat is murder came on , shouting all kinds of swear words , I felt her saliva now the nape of my neck...
if corona virus was around the, I’d be deed...

Very solid morrissey song. I enjoy it quite a bit and the vocal melody is catchy even if I didn’t remember all the words. I like maladjusted a lot and kinda echo verso on this one. For me this is morrisseys breezy almost resigned melancholic album

"He cried" is actually a ride on the razor blade. One might think, it's a touch too self-indulgent musically with Morrissey's lyrics on autopilot. However, I never get enough of Whyte's and Boorer's timeless guitar work 90s style. In addition, Alain's backing vocals from that time, are always an asset. Unlike others, I find Lillywhite's production successful here as well. After 97, in my opinion, none of the producers knew how to give the entire Morrissey band a typical and attractive sound, even if Morrissey liked to claim the opposite. A solid album track, that I would not want to miss.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom