Morrissey A-Z: "I Thought You Were Dead"

Yes, that's possible! I swithered on prize.

Edit: Listened again.

I think you're right!!

Although I think he is saying her??

I hear it as 'your' too . (Or 'yer')

The black humour of this one is so Morrissey, in the best possible way, and it is joyous in its misanthropy.

Jesse also deserves some credit for diversifying a lot over the years. His songwriting certainly became a lot more interesting after the first couple of albums that he appeared on.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 65th from 264 solo songs.

I don't recall hearing this one before, but I like it a lot.

Clearly inspired by the recording session's location at the time - probably after letting a screaming Jesse out of the cellar. The band were on the wine most nights and were pictured arm in arm walking about - may have contributed to the sound.
Not sure why it got a digital release given it was meant to be a RSD vinyl exclusive (and Brow... remains exclusively non-digital despite being readily available on vinyl).
That said, I like the whole sound of it. Always like hearing strings and the gypsy-esque tone was a relatively different turn from the band.
Often gets played.
Regards,
FWD.
Indeed, it sounds like they were happy in the haze of a drunken hour - after a wine night out.
Perhaps they also watched that Kusturica movie "Time of the gypsies", which is partly set in Italy (Milan)?

Easily his most exciting B-side of this century, it is also available on Spotity.
Shame of the grammar though, especially for someone coming from a literary tradition.

Oddly interesting, could have been recorded just after Kill Uncle during the “rockabilly” EP that was never released.

Clearly inspired by the recording session's location at the time - probably after letting a screaming Jesse out of the cellar. The band were on the wine most nights and were pictured arm in arm walking about - may have contributed to the sound.
Not sure why it got a digital release given it was meant to be a RSD vinyl exclusive (and Brow... remains exclusively non-digital despite being readily available on vinyl).
That said, I like the whole sound of it. Always like hearing strings and the gypsy-esque tone was a relatively different turn from the band.
Often gets played.
Regards,
FWD.

Wait, so Brow Of My Beloved is only available as a vinyl rip, but the alternative version posted by SER not long ago originated in digital format?

Oh, the squalor of the mind. The squalor of Moz’s messy processes of releasing things.

Wait, so Brow Of My Beloved is only available as a vinyl rip, but the alternative version posted by SER not long ago originated in digital format?

Oh, the squalor of the mind. The squalor of Moz’s messy processes of releasing things.
Apologies for not being down with the cool
Kids but, Brow is available via iTunes.

Apologies for not being down with the cool
Kids but, Brow is available via iTunes.
Indeed, it is digital now.
Oversight on my part - should have said it remained not remains. It didn't come out at the same time and only appeared after a long wait (op adjusted).
Thrashing myself as I type.
(I posted the track here so you'd think I knew).
Regards,
FWD.

I also like the way the vocals are very central in the mix, it struck me as rather unusual for a Morrissey production when I first noticed it. It really gives every instrument its due space.

I like this one A LOT.

Thought it was a Boz tune at first. And one of my favorite of Joe Chiccarelli productions, it’s like they just threw up the faders added some dark reverbs and said it’s done!

A very playful number, great guitar tone, and that fiddle!
Made me think it would have sat nicely alongside Get off the Stage.
the dreamy ‘so nice’ kind of Smiths like, or I wonder if Morrissey played Reparata ‘Shoes’ to Jesse at some point.

I truly love it. It's among my favourites.
Having said such thing, am I the only one who thinks that it sounds a bit strange?
I am not an expert when it comes to sond engineering, but it has the sound of a demo or a low quality recording of an otherwise great song.

Yes perfect in its imperfection. though it’s stereo, something sounds mono about it (maybe it’s the stationary lead vocal GirlAfraid mentioned), everything gels in a very musical and natural way, just turn it up! really lovely.

Last edited:
What makes this song so lovely is that it feels effortless, which is quite different from my usual complaint of "no effort." The music doesn't feel labored over, the tempo is right and there's an actual melody to drift away on. I don't like the production, but I have to look past that because I doubt I'll ever like the production on a Morrissey record again. I wish more of his modern material sounded like this.

What makes this song so lovely is that it feels effortless,
:thumb:
which is quite different from my usual complaint of "no effort." The music doesn't feel labored over, the tempo is right and there's an actual melody to drift away on. I don't like the production,

But the thing about this production that I like is that it doesn’t sound ‘labored over’ or too technical, there’s something wrong about it that adds to the fun or spontaneity of the song.
but I have to look past that because I doubt I'll ever like the production on a Morrissey record again. I wish more of his modern material sounded like this.

but then you do like the production/sound of this one though?

:thumb:

But the thing about this production that I like is that it doesn’t sound ‘labored over’ or too technical, there’s something wrong about it that adds to the fun or spontaneity of the song.

but then you do like the production/sound of this one though?
As far as the production goes, this one definitely has a lighter touch than much of M's recent work. In that respect, it's definitely more to my liking. But even still, there's just a modern studio feel that I dislike and it's certainly not a complaint I exclusively lob at Morrissey. It's just what most contemporary rock and roll music sounds like, which is why I really don't listen to much of it.

Yes perfect in its imperfection. though it’s stereo, something sounds mono about it (maybe it’s the stationary lead vocal GirlAfraid mentioned), everything gels in a very musical and natural way, just turn it up! really lovely.

Yes, I am not an expert, but it somehow sounds like a "demo version" or as a song that was recorded by any band that willingly records "low fi" as to have that sound.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom