Morrissey - "Nightline" radio interview, 1984

Amy

from the Ice Age to the dole age
Hadn't heard of it before but I found this on YouTube in 5 parts, still listening now & it sounds quite interesting.

From part 3 - a caller tells Morrissey, "I saw Johnny Marr up [around town?] tonight and he had lots of teeny-boppers hugging him and kissing him...what do you think of that?". Morrissey - "I don't understand it, I don't know how anybody could possibly hug and kiss Johnny [...] perhaps he's just incredibly loveable?"

Listener - "but they had hands round his neck, giving him big sloppy kisses and that.."
Moz - "Yes I know.. :D

Part 1:
[youtube]jXdMTVs6Q50&feature=related[/youtube]

Part 2:
[youtube]zCXCFdtMT7A&feature=related[/youtube]

Part 3:
[youtube]8Ef5_bBuQ_c&feature=related[/youtube]

Part 4:
[youtube]q9y7xIyuJro&feature=related[/youtube]

Part 5:
[youtube]ww9ZALGb49c&feature=related[/youtube]

Last edited:
I get the feeling I should have put this in the "Happier Times" thread, it would fit nicely. Merge?

Re: Morrissey interview on Nightline (U.K. radio show)

I posted a thread about this before and it was ignored, so hopefully this will get more attention :D. It's a great interview. I love the bit in Part 3 where the caller ribs Moz about fans kissing Johnny on nights out. Great stuff!

I posted a thread about this before and it was ignored, so hopefully this will get more attention :D. It's a great interview. I love the bit in Part 3 where the caller ribs Moz about fans kissing Johnny on nights out. Great stuff!

Sorry, Amy. I didn't mean to duplicate your original post about this interview. I will be sure to do a search in the future. Thank you for being nice about it. :)

You're right, it really is a splendid interview. Probably like yourself and others here I have read and heard hundreds of interviews over the years (and taken part, too!) and to me this one is the least guarded Moz ever was. It also gave me a real sense of what it felt like in this time period just before I had discovered my favorite group and singer.

Sorry, Amy. I didn't mean to duplicate your original post about this interview. I will be sure to do a search in the future. Thank you for being nice about it. :)

You're right, it really is a splendid interview. Probably like yourself and others here I have read and heard hundreds of interviews over the years (and taken part, too!) and to me this one is the least guarded Moz ever was. It also gave me a real sense of what it felt like in this time period just before I had discovered my favorite group and singer.

Why on earth would I be angry about a double post? :p

Also, I might be reading too much into things, but I found the interview a little sad. I know Morrissey has never been a party animal and always talked about how he hated the whole "club" scene and would rather stay in with tea & toast... but this interview really seems to bring it home. Moz, home on his own at midnight giving a radio interview, while JM & the lads are out having fun :(

Why on earth would I be angry about a double post? :p

Also, I might be reading too much into things, but I found the interview a little sad. I know Morrissey has never been a party animal and always talked about how he hated the whole "club" scene and would rather stay in with tea & toast... but this interview really seems to bring it home. Moz, home on his own at midnight giving a radio interview, while JM & the lads are out having fun :(

I never thought you'd be angry, but some might have been perturbed (or worse) 'round here. Nice that you were cool, that's all. :cool:

Actually, Morrissey was in the studio at the time with the presenter. You can tell by how clear his voice is compared to the callers on the phone. And the way I understand Moz in 1984, he was definitely more than happy to be there talking about the thing that he'd been dreaming of for so many years in his bedroom. Midnight or not! For sad, I'd look to the post-Smiths break-up time frame. And as far as "fun" goes, well, you know his position on that.

This interview is fantastic. He is as erudite and adorable as ever. I'd love to meet early 80's Morrissey and it is strange that this all happened before I was born.

Amy my friend, what a find. This one had evaded me after all these years. It's simply brilliant. The best part for me has to be the caller who asked for an explanation of Reel Around The Fountain. This has saved my otherwise very tedious day.

Amy my friend, what a find. This one had evaded me after all these years. It's simply brilliant. The best part for me has to be the caller who asked for an explanation of Reel Around The Fountain. This has saved my otherwise very tedious day.

Haha, yes! "How old are you?" (16) "Oh well you're far too young to know. You'll have to wait a few years". I also love it when Morrissey gets the kids' name wrong straight after, ("John!? I'm Kevin") and obnoxiously spits out " right, KEVIN" when the caller corrects him :guitar:

Re: Rare 1984 Morrissey Radio Interview

Sorry it has already been posted by Amy. Mod do your thing please

Back
Top Bottom