Morrissey Talks Label Troubles, Glastonbury - from Pitchfork magazine online

Pathetic interview.

Ok here goes and a few facts for you.

Your band are not exceptional.

Your new songs are shite.fact.

No record company wants power chord happy 12 track shite.

Strangers to the smiths. Perhaps ring them up and go for a beer ,oh and pay them.

Stop treating people with your head up your own arse. You go along way being humble.

Your own fans are telling you enough is enough. That band are shite.

Record companies look at these forums now and gauge fan opinion.

Is Stephen street back on board.no? , get him quick.

Any chance of returning to quality sleeves and not tripe such as maladjusted , let me kiss you.

Unless you listen , you are finished M.

"The band I have now are exceptional" truley frightening...

"I think they were there for U2 anyway-- understandably. U2 have an enormous Star Wars set with drumsticks that light up northern Africa, and a sound system that would drown out an earthquake. I can't compete with that. Not with my post office savings account. All I have to offer the world are songs." but beyond the flashy set lies great musicians and a bona-fida band unit...

Stop being stuck in the dark ages, Moz. Swallow your pride and sell independently or online. You're commercially on a downward spiral so no business minded label is going to touch you anytime soon. Most of your new albums are bought online already so why be stubborn and make-believe HMV have any interest in stocking in their stores. Stop tarting yourself and be proactive for once!

Re: Article: Morrissey Talks Label Troubles, Glastonbury - from Pitchfork magazine on

Pathetic interview.

Ok here goes and a few facts for you.

Your band are not exceptional.

Your new songs are shite.fact.

No record company wants power chord happy 12 track shite.

Strangers to the smiths. Perhaps ring them up and go for a beer ,oh and pay them.

Stop treating people with your head up your own arse. You go along way being humble.

Your own fans are telling you enough is enough. That band are shite.

Record companies look at these forums now and gauge fan opinion.

Is Stephen street back on board.no? , get him quick.

Any chance of returning to quality sleeves and not tripe such as maladjusted , let me kiss you.

Woooah... sit down, Oscar Wilde.

Re: Article: Morrissey Talks Label Troubles, Glastonbury - from Pitchfork magazine on

Stop being stuck in the dark ages, Moz. Swallow your pride and sell independently or online. You're commercially on a downward spiral so no business minded label is going to touch you anytime soon. Most of your new albums are bought online already so why be stubborn and make-believe HMV have any interest in stocking in their stores. Stop tarting yourself and be proactive for once!

I think of your three posts this one is the one that is wrongest. Comments on his tour so far have been very enthusiastic and his Glastonbury performance was also well received. He is far from where he was two years ago in terms of what he delivers. To sell independently or online you have to have the people who are able to do so and he is not surrounded by people who can. Thus the record company who delivers the sales infrastructure. Even bands who do it mainly independently still fall back on label sales structures to get their records into the market.

That aside, promotions are marketing. :)

His comment on the drum sticks made me laugh, good one.

Your own fans are telling you enough is enough.

Which fans are telling him "enough is enough" - the ones who ensured that most dates on the current tour sold out in a matter of minutes?

"Record companies look at these forums now and gauge fan opinion" - LMFAO, without doubt a contender for the most stupid, misguided and blatantly untrue comment ever posted on Solo.

And by the way, you start your pathetic list with the portentous pronouncement "Here are a few facts" - why not pick up a dictionary and look up the difference between "facts" and "opnions". I found it very sad that your diatribe was littered with rubbish about returning to this, going back to that. If you've failed to grasp that SPM never looks back (we'd have had a Smiths reunion years ago if that were the case), then you clearly know nothing about the man.

"Record companies look at these forums now and gauge fan opinion" - LMFAO, without doubt a contender for the most stupid, misguided and blatantly untrue comment ever posted on Solo.

You wouldn't want to put a bet on that would you , I should know.

Prior to signing with Sanctuary in 2004 didn't Morrissey reject a number of labels because they didn't want to sign his band as well?

Apart from the usual grumbles about not having a record company, I did laugh when he said "I can't compete with that.Not with my post office savings account.":lbf:
Maybe he should try a tax avoidance scheme a la U2...oh, hold on a minute...

There is nothing wrong with being a traditionalist. I want to walk into my surviving record store in town and buy Morrissey's new album. Not downloaded or arriving next week on a plane from deepest darkest where ever. I'd love to see the new album with promotion behind it. Posters in shop windows. Yes, like the good old days, but even I fear the good old days are behind me.

A smaller record label could sign Morrissey. They would be guaranteed to sell 20,000 units. After that I fear the record label would make their money and then Morrissey would be dropped. Record labels mean a lot to Morrissey. Going to a smaller label might seem rather indigent and accepting defeat.

Principles. They are good to have, but it might not mean getting an album out.

I thought the most telling phrases were these:

"...the entire "industry"-- as it must be called-- has been destroyed in a thousand ways. The Internet has obviously wiped music off the human map-- killed the record shop, and killed the patience of labels who consider debut sales of 300,000 to not be good enough..."

set against the line "...I am still stuck in the dream of..."

We all know exactly what dream Moz is stuck in - the Top 40, Top of the Pops, sleeve artwork, label designs (over the years, how thrilling it's been to see Moz's name on Parlophone, Major Minor et al), and probably big record company advances too. But as he admits, it's a world that no longer exists. So why hold out for something that ain't gonna happen any time soon?

The reactionary trolls who assert that "everything post-Vauxhall is crap" or insist on repeating calls for a Smiths reunion do a great disservice to Moz. Yes, I've begun to find Jesse's input grating and repetitive, but how can you dismiss gems from this period (which admittedly Jesse didn't always co-write) like Life Is A Pigsty, One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell, When Last I Spoke To Carol and the infuriatingly catchy hooks of I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris, That's How People Grow Up and You Have Killed Me? Not to mention the post-Vauxhall/pre-Jesse wondrousness of Trouble Loves Me, Boxers, Alma Matters and pretty much all of YATQ.

Surely nobody sane can believe that the answer is to simply reform The Smiths and/or re-hire Stephen Street and/or Alain...? Aren't any of these options simply the cop-out par excellence? Everyone is older now, reforming a gang of lads would be embarrassingly undignified. The most interesting story to surface (perhaps merely a rumour) was the proposed collaboration with Richard Hawley, apparently aborted before it even began when RH proposed contributing lyrics as well as music. To my mind, Moz's words and voice would be a perfect fit to RH's music. Just my two cents.

I've got an explanation that works for just about everything: "Maybe it's just not meant to be..." :)
Saves a lot of effort and embarrassment. Also useful when you don't want to feel rejected. It's really good, try it!
Because, who knows, maybe it's not meant to be?

Richard hawley is a genius.

M missed a trick there , a very very talented man.

I thought the most telling phrases were these:

"...the entire "industry"-- as it must be called-- has been destroyed in a thousand ways. The Internet has obviously wiped music off the human map-- killed the record shop, and killed the patience of labels who consider debut sales of 300,000 to not be good enough..."

It starts with the fact that much of today's music is written and/or performed by talentless (but good-looking) people. It continues with the misuse of Auto-Tune. On the same line, there's a lot of home recording/engineering going on on sub-par equipment (or by people with sub-par ears). And the last stop is push-button mastering...usually the word on the button is "maximize", "normalize", or "brickwall". Google the Loudness Wars for that one.

It's a very simple notion someone taught me years ago: crap in, crap out.

"The legend on why nobody wants to release his new album."

I can tell you why without even reading the article:

Nobody is offering a big enough advance.

There is nothing wrong with being a traditionalist. I want to walk into my surviving record store in town and buy Morrissey's new album. Not downloaded or arriving next week on a plane from deepest darkest where ever. I'd love to see the new album with promotion behind it. Posters in shop windows. Yes, like the good old days, but even I fear the good old days are behind me.

A smaller record label could sign Morrissey. They would be guaranteed to sell 20,000 units. After that I fear the record label would make their money and then Morrissey would be dropped. Record labels mean a lot to Morrissey. Going to a smaller label might seem rather indigent and accepting defeat.

Principles. They are good to have, but it might not mean getting an album out.

Me too. I love walking into the record store, flipping through the CDS, looking at all the posters, smelling the strange smell of CDs and records, seeing all the other people there buying music, and sometimes bumping into somebody that likes the same music as me. There is a great pleasure in finding the CD you wanted and carrying it to the counter, then walking out and quickly undoing the wrapping so you can look inside. It's a special experience to me too. :)

You wouldn't want to put a bet on that would you , I should know.

Oh, here we go - another "I'm pretending to work in the industry because it'll hopefully give my post an air of authority it wouldn't otherwise have". My wife DOES work for a major label and her genuinely informed opinion is that while fan forums may be a minor consideration in gauging the buzz surrounding a NEW band and targeting the marketing accordingly, the idea that they would have any bearing at all on dealings with artists of the stature of Moz, Bowie etc is laughable.

Really laughable.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

I want to walk into my surviving record store in town and buy Morrissey's new album. Not downloaded or arriving next week on a plane from deepest darkest where ever.

No wonder CDs don't sell anymore when they do not sound any better than the downloaded file. Maybe this is just preparation for the definite cost-cutting measure of stopping to distribute physical media, which surely is many music executives' dreams.

SPM never looks back (we'd have had a Smiths reunion years ago if that were the case)

His (poor) cover versions of The Smiths' songs tell rather a different story. They reek of desperation.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom