Nick Cave on Morrissey (Conversations with Nick Cave, May 3, 2018 in New York)

9 Things We Learned From Nick Cave's Open Forum Q&A by Kory Grow, RollingStone, May 4. 2018

Excerpt:

7. He became a Smiths fan late in life.

When a fan asked if he ever came around to any of the bands he'd written off in the Eighties, Cave named a few. The Cure and the Smiths," he said. "I just kept hearing songs [by the Smiths] and thinking, 'f***, that guy's a really good lyric writer. I thought I was the only one.'" The audience laughed. "So I'm glad I didn't know too much about the at the time because I think I would have given up, but [Morrissey] is a great, great writer. Strange man, but … a brave man."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...learned-from-nick-caves-open-forum-qa-w519832

I feel certain it will be re-evaluated, years from now, and achieve cult status.
Yes, but in the same way of B-movies that are so bad they're good. It really is truly terrible writing - even when you take out the sex scenes, intentionally hilarious or not. It reads like he has sat down with a thesaurus and crammed in every single word he can find; the result is densely compacted, awkward, lumpy, horribly overwritten sentences which frequently do not make sense. Then there are the basic grammatical errors: 'The body is a thing only, of which we all irrationally fear', which any half-competent editor would have picked up (had they been allowed to); the annoying outbreaks of alliteration ('bothersome border boundaries'), which might work in a song lyric but quickly irritate in a novel; the peculiar shoehorning in of his own hobby horses such as Thatcher (even though he's apparently writing about 1973), women and slaughterhouses... and that's before we even get to the implausible dialogue and plot.

I actually think there are glimmers of brilliance - 'Look at the blue of the sky and tell me why you held back. Did you think that one day there would be a bluer sky and a better hour?' is rather lovely, and had he agreed to work with a decent editor who knows what the result would have been like. But as it is the whole thing is swamped by his determination to prove his own genius, while ironically showing up the limits of his talent.

Anyway, hats off to you for finishing it, never mind enjoying it - you have far more staying power than me :)

The weird idea that Morrissey got "worse" does not make any kind of sense to me. His solo work is actually better than what he recorded with the Smiths.

Nick Cave's albums WERE fantastic... since the early Boys Next door / Birthday Party albums till "Henry's Dream"... what he did after "Henry's Dream", I honestly do not get it.
"From Her to Eternity" is certainly one of the best albums ever recorded.

Anyway... he said that he likes the songwriting style of Morrissey... It is a bit weird to try to twist his words and proclaim that he didn't say what he said. I saw the words forming in his mouth.

Sometimes the conspiracy forums make more sense than some people here.

P.S, Bring back Blixa to the Bad seeds!!!!

Nothing wrong with "Bullfighter". Jaunty little toon. Far worse offenders out there - All the Lazy Dykes, Who will Protect us fr the Police, At Last I am Born etc.

My favourite:
At Least I Am Born :)

What an awful person and artist Nick Cave is and always has been. Pretentious nonsense productions all full of himself while looking like a smack victim. Long dark hair and a potential brother of count Dracula he must have slept in a coffin most of the time.

I hate people from down under with a passion. Remember they are all descendants of those people the british were smart enough to send there and so they are all the children of rapists and murderers and pathetic criminals.

We should be glad the place is so far away from us. Don't buy into that good day crap and Fosters is fooking water for wankers.

What an awful person and artist Nick Cave is and always has been. Pretentious nonsense productions all full of himself while looking like a smack victim. Long dark hair and a potential brother of count Dracula he must have slept in a coffin most of the time.

I hate people from down under with a passion. Remember they are all descendants of those people the british were smart enough to send there and so they are all the children of rapists and murderers and pathetic criminals.

We should be glad the place is so far away from us. Don't buy into that good day crap and Fosters is fooking water for wankers.

More bollocks. Go sit down and try to write something as great as this:

More bollocks. Go sit down and try to write something as great as this:

Not my cup of tea and he is extremely overrated and I hate the sound and looks of him. People buy into artists like him cause some trendy reviewer said it is good.

He barks like a heffer giving birth.

I want Nick Cave dead and will celebrate when he snuffs it the c***.

I'm not sure that Morrissey in his prime would have been capable of such blunders as The List of the Lost, The Bullfighter Dies, pick your own indiscretions. I'd argue there has been a sharp downturn in Morrissey the writer in the last ten years. Of course it's all subjective but for me the humour and nuance cleared off and it's not a good thing.
i think this album is devoid of humour but I would say world peace had its moments as in staircase,if it breaks your legs then don't come running to me,i find that line really funny.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom