Northern Soul review of Dog on a Chain by Danny Moran (most detailed to date?)

A well-written, interesting and balanced review.
www.northernsoul.me.uk/album-review-i-am-not-a-dog-on-a-chain-morrissey/
  • 'his finest work in a long generation'
  • 'It’s no longer in the words these days, for instance, where the window on Morrissey’s soul can really be found, but in the voice.'
  • 'If there’s a catchier collection of tunes in the Morrissey catalogue then it’s long since been deleted from the popular playlist. Let’s not shrink from this – there’s scarcely a dud to be found among this eclectic 11-strong suit'
  • 'Back in the mists of time it was the rolling chords from Johnny Marr’s fiendishly detuned guitars which allowed the young singer to extemporise on a canvas unlike any in popular music. Now, in having him throw his arms around a synthesiser, producer Chiccarelli and writing partner Jessie Tobias suggest credible, belated reinvention and a potential lifeline in the waters presently engulfing the Morrissey shipwreck. The indifferent bleep and the Mozzer croon bowl along quite handsomely, funnily enough, and in tossing out so many of the old gestures – the ersatz machismo of his regular minstrel players – the new idea of a kind of enlightened Left Banke chanteur is given a leg up.'
  • 'If you sing your heart out on national television with the insignia of the far right pinned to your lapel then you broadcast a message which every sensible-thinking citizen will see as their duty to throw back in your face. If you lack the perspective to see that there is a war taking place across the globe between tolerance and hatred and that there is no room in that landscape for your faux patriotism and pick-and-mix prejudices then you deserve a picket line under your chin, a record-pyre at your local sports ground, and you can take your ten-dollar trumpet and stick it sideways where the sun once shone – irrespective of the nuances of your position.'
  • 'The singer refuses to leave the stage, unbent and unbowed he would have you believe, though with the pridefully wakened passions of a man singing for his life.'

yes
disrupt consensus
or like his constant back drop guy has it
an artist's responsibility is to disturb the peace
dont remember the exact wording

20200414_164830.jpg

He certainly lives up to it.

Be interesting to see if or how he changes in the 20s now that post war consensus seems to have finished collapsing & politics might become less confusing.

In the 80s he had a very integrated worldview, drifts in the 90s, is divided in the 00s & fragments completely in the 10s. We might get a reintegration.

I do think it's pretty much impossible to review his record without mentioning the backlash but that's fair as long as they talk about the music. This review suffers from excessive use of the thesaurus though. I think that's a bigger problem.

It ain't impossible for Wild T.
I weren't never even worried about it.

Have we seen this review?

I remain in awe that he gets so much coverage of his politics for near f-k all. I know politicians that can't get a single word they've ever said quoted & Moz can get condemned for the things he said years ago as if he just said it.

Anyway they liked the album.

Last edited by a moderator:

I remain in awe that he get so much coverage of his politics for near f-k all. I know politicians that can't get a single word they've ever said quoted & Moz can get condemned for the things he said years ago as if he just said it.

As long as we like the album petels! f*** the rest....

I remain in awe that he get so much coverage of his politics for near f-k all. I know politicians that can't get a single word they've ever said quoted & Moz can get condemned for the things he said years ago as if he just said it.

Years ago? Are you a complete and utter f***wit? He proudly wore the emblem of a far-right political party live on stage, and live on television in front of millions of people in May 2019. That's not even a year ago.
His wholehearted expression of support for the party remains on his personal website for all to see to this day (14th April 2020). www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/page/62

Years ago? Are you a complete and utter f***wit? He proudly wore the emblem of a far-right political party live on stage, and live on television in front of millions of people in May 2019. That's not even a year ago.
His wholehearted expression of support for the party remains on his personal website for all to see to this day (14th April 2020). www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/page/62
Has the penny not dropped YET, pin badge was in support of a party with the best interest of animals on their political manifesto..... it really is that simple......

The review mentions the Chinese quote - which was years ago.

He said a couple of things, hasn't deleted old posts & wore a badge twice, never to be seen again.

Of all the political things happening in the world right now & the raging fights on Twitter it's weird it gets traction esp when they could check it against every other thing he's said, Anne Marie's own weird journey & Douglas Murray's continued mainstream publishing success.

Has the penny not dropped YET, pin badge was in support of a party with the best interest of animals on their political manifesto..... it really is that simple......

I think it is the animals. It's the only thing he's never dropped.

Possibly gay rights a little because he was blaming Western foreign policy for Islamist terrorism right up until Orlando. Then he seems to see it as religious homophobia, but then on High School he's blaming oil for middle-eastern wars, so that's back to blaming the West...

The review mentions the Chinese quote - which was years ago.

He said a couple of things, hasn't deleted old posts & wore a badge twice, never to be seen again.

Of all the political things happening in the world right now & the raging fights on Twitter it's weird it gets traction esp when they could check it against every other thing he's said, Anne Marie's own weird journey & Douglas Murray's continued mainstream publishing success.
That pin badge, I think like you in some way it has been monumental, not now, say 10 years..... just like a lot of things moz has mentioned, or predicted that are now very factual and now very real........even the ex fans who have disagreed for some years now, must recoil, and now see the foresight this man has........ his timing has been far to precise for most over the decades, but hey he was the first to say such things in the pop world..... and the last

I think it is the animals. It's the only thing he's never dropped.

Possibly gay rights a little because he was blaming Western foreign policy for Islamist terrorism right up until Orlando. Then he seems to see it as religious homophobia, but then on High School he's blaming oil for middle-eastern wars, so that's back to blaming the West...

I think the main takeaway is that Moz is HATEABLE. People just love to hate him. That's what he's set himself up for. He's got a persecution complex. The question is - Is being a toxic brand what he wants? Is that his true aim?

I think the main takeaway is that Moz is HATEABLE. People just love to hate him. That's what he's set himself up for. He's got a persecution complex. The question is - Is being a toxic brand what he wants? Is that his true aim?
Yes, l agree, I think what his aim has always been his is own agenda, we know this.....his true aim is and always has been is to stand out from the crowd, job done.... the one thing now that keeps people really interested in him is his music, not his views, a lot of people can't abide with his views on their daily agendas, an uncomfortable truth for most, me included......

He does hate himself pretty intensely. But I don't think that's the problem. I think it's his ambiguity that freaks people out. They need him to have labels & he hates labels. If he won't play ball with any of the positive social categories they'll chuck him in a negative one.

You can't be both. Not in the press.

What "fiendishly detuned guitars?"
I kind of get " there is a war taking place across the globe between tolerance and hatred and that there is no room in that landscape for your faux patriotism and pick-and-mix prejudices then you deserve a picket line under your chin" but I don't think it's that simple. Is the war about tolerance vs hatred? I think it's about cultures and there is intolerance on all sides. It's not the good vs the bad or the guilty against the innocent. But he's right about Morrissey being inconsistent. It's time to realize that Morrissey's politics are not that different than many people of his age from his background and education and that sometimes after a few drinks he wants to share his opinion to the detriment of everyone involved really when he could just smile and talk about his great new record.
Some practices don't deserve tolerance. Tolerance is not a good or a bad thing per se. It has to be related to something to decide about it.

He does hate himself pretty intensely. But I don't think that's the problem. I think it's his ambiguity that freaks people out. They need him to have labels & he hates labels. If he won't play ball with any of the positive social categories they'll chuck him in a negative one.

You can't be both. Not in the press.

Three Karen posts in a row? Maybe you should write a book about PR and another about Morrissey's secret inner thoughts. You'd only have to compile any random few days worth of posts.

Three Karen posts in a row? Maybe you should write a book about PR and another about Morrissey's secret inner thoughts. You'd only have to compile any random few days worth of posts.

Since joining on October 30th she has posted 15,02 messages a day. That's pretty impressive. One could think Morrissey actually is her client.

Three replies in a row to people also posting about Morrissey's public image & possible motivations.

Since joining on October 30th she has posted 15,02 messages a day. That's pretty impressive. One could think Morrissey actually is her client.

How can he be my client? I don't agree with negative assessments of him on a public forum.

What "fiendishly detuned guitars?"
I kind of get " there is a war taking place across the globe between tolerance and hatred and that there is no room in that landscape for your faux patriotism and pick-and-mix prejudices then you deserve a picket line under your chin" but I don't think it's that simple. Is the war about tolerance vs hatred? I think it's about cultures and there is intolerance on all sides. It's not the good vs the bad or the guilty against the innocent. But he's right about Morrissey being inconsistent. It's time to realize that Morrissey's politics are not that different than many people of his age from his background and education and that sometimes after a few drinks he wants to share his opinion to the detriment of everyone involved really when he could just smile and talk about his great new record.
I agree. Very well put.

Why bother? The album has been out for weeks and sold all it’s going to sell. It charted for one week and then sunk into oblivion. What’s the point of reviewing something when everyone who’s going to buy it has already done so?
How do you know?
What's the point?
Oh, you might have a crystal ball...

I'm still not sure why he/she/it (Skinny) gets a free pass. Can anyone enlighten?
Could he be the devil's advocate for Morrissey-solo?

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom