"Only If You Are Really Interested" - new book by Nicholas P. Greco (Spring/Summer 2011)

An anonymous person sends the link:

"Only If You Are Really Interested" - McFarland
Celebrity, Gender, Desire and the World of Morrissey

by Nicholas P. Greco

Not Yet Published, Available Spring/Summer 2011

About the Book
One of the keys to the enduring popularity of the British singer Morrissey is his carefully crafted enigmatic persona. This critical book examines the role of enigma in the celebrity’s public life, exploring how a level of mystery is maintained through television interviews, videos, reviews and concerts, as well as through his music and lyrics. Of particular interest is the way in which enigma stimulates interest and desire in his audience, and how the artist manipulates traditional modes of masculinity and the conventions of pop music to further cultivate enigma.

About the Author
Nicholas P. Greco is an assistant professor of communications and media at Providence College in Otterburne, Manitoba, Canada. He is the author of numerous articles, and is a founding fellow of the Canadian Institute for the Study of Pop Culture and Religion.

978-0-7864-6274-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
True enough. We all know Moz as a genuine person, but sometimes he is not totally straight-forward. Remember that one interview where he said a person stopped loving him. But no mention of a pronoun (he or she.)

A carefully crafted enigmatic persona? To further cultivate the enigma? That indicates that there is or was a plan. I doubt that. It also lead me to thinking that someone is not allowed to keep to himself or that Moz can not live on his own terms. Just because he is a public figure, that does not mean that he is required to share details of his personal life. And it is perfectly fine to be inconsistent and misleading if he feels like it. Dont take Morrissey too seriously all the time. Morrissey is who he is. A man that keeps a lot to himself for obvious reasons. In the end he is a shy boy from Manchester trying to cope. Stop digging and pretending to know it all. There is no plan and there never was. It is a life that is lived.

Re: Article: "Only If You Are Really Interested" - new book by Nicholas P. Greco (Spr

A carefully crafted enigmatic persona? To further cultivate the enigma? That indicates that there is or was a plan. I doubt that. It also lead me to thinking that someone is not allowed to keep to himself or that Moz can not live on his own terms. Just because he is a public figure, that does not mean that he is required to share details of his personal life. And it is perfectly fine to be inconsistent and misleading if he feels like it. Dont take Morrissey too seriously all the time. Morrissey is who he is. A man that keeps a lot to himself for obvious reasons. In the end he is a shy boy from Manchester trying to cope. Stop digging and pretending to know it all. There is no plan and there never was. It is a life that is lived.

And the obvious reasons are?

Re: Article: "Only If You Are Really Interested" - new book by Nicholas P. Greco (Spr

True enough. We all know Moz as a genuine person, but sometimes he is not totally straight-forward. Remember that one interview where he said a person stopped loving him. But no mention of a pronoun (he or she.)

I'll tried agin 2 or 3 times, the main page reply, not via a reply gives me posting
problem

If I'm correct you have to reply via the forum like posting style, under the page,
well it won't work today, it's gonna be really confusing, cause now I have to reply on someone, what's nothing to do with what the person posted
[well that's usual, so no difference concerning my posting]

would like a reply tag under the item, not under the page, it won't work,
and I'm logged in

a few days ago I shall log out and log in, got major trouble, had to ask for
a new pasword, well all went swiftly and my nick was unharmed and still there,
but still posting problems on the main page

is it W7?

sorry for bringing it up again, did it in the forum, but nothing
yet worksd smoother

I read in a interview that he said it's only women he would 'love' in that way, so im presuming it was a woman.

I read in a interview that he said it's only women he would 'love' in that way, so im presuming it was a woman.

Really? He's made so many contradictory statements about his sexuality that I'd think it difficult to make any concrete assumption. I think "I Can Have Both" pretty much summed it up.

Really? He's made so many contradictory statements about his sexuality that I'd think it difficult to make any concrete assumption. I think "I Can Have Both" pretty much summed it up.

If you don't realise that Morrissey is a homosexual you do not listen to his music...

Yeah he used to be celibate, abstinent, the third gender, without pronoun, muslim blahblahblahh but now quite categorically he's a man who indulges in that which Mr.Wilde described as 'the love that dare not speak its name'...

DEAR GOD PLEASE HELP ME!

True... it was a interview from 2004 i believe... when he said that it was followed by 'that's all your getting'(obviously implying that there is more), so maybe he likes the company of both but when it comes down to it it's women.

True... it was a interview from 2004 i believe... when he said that it was followed by 'that's all your getting'(obviously implying that there is more), so maybe he likes the company of both but when it comes down to it it's women.

I'd say he has always preferred men, but there you go :p.

If you don't realise that Morrissey is a homosexual you do not listen to his music...

Yeah he used to be celibate, abstinent, the third gender, without pronoun, muslim blahblahblahh but now quite categorically he's a man who indulges in that which Mr.Wilde described as 'the love that dare not speak its name'...

DEAR GOD PLEASE HELP ME!

Or brainless, stupid, occult, all show, no brain and no content women.

Given the type of people he prefers, I do not care much about which sex that person is. His partners, fans and friends are as hollow and superficial as the man himself. The image is what counts. Yeah, right... for people who do not have not much more to offer.

And the obvious reasons are?

Morrissey and Marr have always stated that when they started The Smiths they had a very definite plan about what they both wanted and didn't want to be...I think you'd be very surprised at the extent to which ol' Mozza sit's and plots!

Of course he 'pretends' everything just happens 'as if by accident' and 'no one ever helped us'...etc etc...it doesn't make it true, just sound more exotic and fits the 'struggling artiste bit'......

When looking for a mate, I don't think he perfers any gender. I doubt he would look into things that are so trite.

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds like a really interesting subject; his enigma is a vital part of his worth. I shall certainly be giving this a try.

Why listen to anyone about Morrissey other than Morrissey?

Because Morrissey is a liar who likes to twist things to give himself a certain image. The poor man who is always wrong while he wrongs so many other people, but hey, who cares, most of his fans are like that and it is so cool that he is so much like them.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom