Please disable anonymous posting

wemissumoz

Don't call me Junior
David:

I have been a member here since the 90's. Yes, the idea of getting rid of anonymous posting has been discussed in the past. However, things have changed and it's time to talk about it again. The post from Interesting Doug is totally on target. All the crap on the main page is killing the usability of the site.

Yes I know that m_s has always been a free-wheeling place. It's just that the tenor has changed. Instead of being a fun place, with lots of engaged people, it now has become a place where a small minority clog the threads with insults and off-topic junk.

I'm not one of the "don't say anything bad about Moz" people. Good God, he's such an easy target much of the time. It's not the Moz-critical stuff that bothers me, it's just the pointless bitching and attacks on each other. Who wants to listen to that? I rarely can get very deep into new threads before the carping overwhelms any meaningful comments and I give up.

David, how about trying it for 2 weeks with no anonymous posting and see how it goes?

I just disagree, I still think anonymous posting adds a lot to the site. Registered users or those that want to say positive things are not blocked from doing so. As I have given my reasons for anonymous posts in this site posting policy page, unless you can counter each of the arguments there I'm not going to consider removing anonymous posting. As a general rule, I don't make major site changes during a tour anyway.

If you don't want to see any anonymous posts, you can block them by going to your account settings and add "Unregistered Users" to your ignore list.

David:

I have been a member here since the 90's. Yes, the idea of getting rid of anonymous posting has been discussed in the past. However, things have changed and it's time to talk about it again. The post from Interesting Doug is totally on target. All the crap on the main page is killing the usability of the site.

Yes I know that m_s has always been a free-wheeling place. It's just that the tenor has changed. Instead of being a fun place, with lots of engaged people, it now has become a place where a small minority clog the threads with insults and off-topic junk.

I'm not one of the "don't say anything bad about Moz" people. Good God, he's such an easy target much of the time. It's not the Moz-critical stuff that bothers me, it's just the pointless bitching and attacks on each other. Who wants to listen to that? I rarely can get very deep into new threads before the carping overwhelms any meaningful comments and I give up.

David, how about trying it for 2 weeks with no anonymous posting and see how it goes?

We had the same discussions many times:
David mentioned in his post that registered users have an option to ignore anonymous posts.

Ignore all anonymous posts? That stops people from being able to read the people who post anonymously who do actually contribute some good posts. If you disable anonymous posting it means those people have to actually sign up and then you can at least pick and choose who you can ignore.

So I'd also support disabling anonymous. I can't ignore anonymous posts like you can with registered users who are like broken records obsessed with going on and on clogging up every thread with pointless drivel. But then again putting them on ignore becomes pointless because people keep quoting them so you see that and the page is still filled up with stuff you have to keep skipping over to find the more quality posts. Its extremely tedious.

I'm guessing the real reason that David won't stop anonymous postings (and won't crack down on the problem posters) is because they help spread part of his agenda without him really having to do anything. Not that he would ever admit that, but I have to believe he is silently smiling to himself about it. It's sad that certain people are protected around here and just go on and on obsessively posting the same old crap. We are just told "if you don't like it, then ignore it and don't read/pay attention to it". But at what point should that line be directed to others here? Why are people who seem furious at Morrissey's very existence these days not able to, or told to ignore him and move on seeing as they have nothing positively constructive to add and just want to shit all over everything.

I'm not 100% pro-everything Morrissey. I eat meat, I have no love for the royals etc. There's plenty of stuff he says and does I don't particularly agree with and I think there is room for that sort of discussion. It shouldn't all be one-way praise. But there is a difference between that and between people who clearly have an agenda they will not let go and it is to the detriment to the integrity and quality of this site. Sadly it seems to fall on deaf ears because the people who own and maintain the site appear to be of the same belief. Shame.

In an ideal world, sure, all people would sign up and post under a username and then you can choose who you can ignore, which you seem to assume is going to happen. Let's ignore the fact that 90%+ who visit the site are actually anonymous guests if you look at the forum stats at any given time. I think it's a mistake to force people to sign up - many don't want to otherwise they would as it's pretty easy. What if they are just stopping by to share some information after a concert they went to? Believe it or not, some people are actually more honest when posting anonymously.

You suggested I have an agenda - what agenda is that? If you can prove I or other mods are deleting comments that go against this 'agenda', then you might have a case. There are many 'positive' posts from anonymous comments but I think most people tend to ignore that fact as it doesn't suit their own agenda. There is some faith you'll need to take that we're not going about thinking 'that's a positive comment, there are too many of those, let's not approve it.'

It seems you want to change the policy that is working generally because of one user. I can easily spot that user and ignore reading if I choose. Can you do the same? If they were just cut and pasted duplicate posts they would not be approved but they are actually all different.

Ignore all anonymous posts? That stops people from being able to read the people who post anonymously who do actually contribute some good posts. If you disable anonymous posting it means those people have to actually sign up and then you can at least pick and choose who you can ignore.

So I'd also support disabling anonymous. I can't ignore anonymous posts like you can with registered users who are like broken records obsessed with going on and on clogging up every thread with pointless drivel. But then again putting them on ignore becomes pointless because people keep quoting them so you see that and the page is still filled up with stuff you have to keep skipping over to find the more quality posts. Its extremely tedious.

I'm guessing the real reason that David won't stop anonymous postings (and won't crack down on the problem posters) is because they help spread part of his agenda without him really having to do anything. Not that he would ever admit that, but I have to believe he is silently smiling to himself about it. It's sad that certain people are protected around here and just go on and on obsessively posting the same old crap. We are just told "if you don't like it, then ignore it and don't read/pay attention to it". But at what point should that line be directed to others here? Why are people who seem furious at Morrissey's very existence these days not able to, or told to ignore him and move on seeing as they have nothing positively constructive to add and just want to shit all over everything.

I'm not 100% pro-everything Morrissey. I eat meat, I have no love for the royals etc. There's plenty of stuff he says and does I don't particularly agree with and I think there is room for that sort of discussion. It shouldn't all be one-way praise. But there is a difference between that and between people who clearly have an agenda they will not let go and it is to the detriment to the integrity and quality of this site. Sadly it seems to fall on deaf ears because the people who own and maintain the site appear to be of the same belief. Shame.

Last edited:
THIS is why the "just put them on ignore" is not a useful option. The majority of crappy drivel posts get quoted by some registered user and thus ignore fails miserably.

But then again putting them on ignore becomes pointless because people keep quoting them so you see that and the page is still filled up with stuff you have to keep skipping over to find the more quality posts. Its extremely tedious.

Also, you note that 90%+ of the traffic is anonymous. That's fine. Most people are just here to look. As long as lurkers can still view everything, eliminating anonymous posting won't affect the traffic at all. In fact, it's likely to increase with the improvement of the quality of the posts.

I disagree, I think anonymous posts are some of the most interesting, which would make sense why they are quoted a lot. This place is the best place to have an actual discussion on Morrissey-related events and topics in my opinion now and over the past 18 years, with a lot of credit to anonymous posters. If there is a better one, or if there is another forum with the example you are suggesting for another artist please list specific examples and I'll take a look at how they do it.

If you can't give specific examples, then you are just speculating and I think the approach is wrong.

THIS is why the "just put them on ignore" is not a useful option. The majority of crappy drivel posts get quoted by some registered user and thus ignore fails miserably.

Also, you note that 90%+ of the traffic is anonymous. That's fine. Most people are just here to look. As long as lurkers can still view everything, eliminating anonymous posting won't affect the traffic at all. In fact, it's likely to increase with the improvement of the quality of the posts.

Last edited:
If there is a better one, or if there is another forum with the example you are suggesting for another artist please list specific examples and I'll take a look at how they do it.
If you can't give specific examples, then you are just speculating and I think the approach is wrong.

I have been a member of quite a few great music boards over the years, but alas the days of the single artist message board has largely been wiped out by Facebook and Twitter. People today are satisfied with the "community" on FB and no one bothers to create great places like this anymore. The boards I used to go to regularly including Idlewild, Nada Surf and Fountains of Wayne are either gone or just a shell of their heyday. So, while I don't feel my comments are pure speculation - I've seen it work - alas, I cannot show you a thriving login-required music board. If they still exist, I'm not a participant in them. Perhaps someone else can suggest some?

I recall a comment from a while back that said they thought it was refreshing that a site doesn't require a login, as most sites do. Social media has certainly changed the way people get and share their information. I don't think a lot of sites differentiated themselves enough, so people eventually left those sites and posted on the various social media sites. There is a bit of a network effect, all people who want to contribute I value. I'd say allowing people to post anonymously is a way of differentiating from social media and a reason this site is active. Some may get annoyed with what's being said, but that's a side effect of having an open system. Sort of like how people still use regular email, even though there are alternatives and occasional spam.

It probably will be a debate that goes on. Thanks for the input and for thinking of some examples. I know there were some active Radiohead sites in the past that aren't anymore.

I have been a member of quite a few great music boards over the years, but alas the days of the single artist message board has largely been wiped out by Facebook and Twitter. People today are satisfied with the "community" on FB and no one bothers to create great places like this anymore. The boards I used to go to regularly including Idlewild, Nada Surf and Fountains of Wayne are either gone or just a shell of their heyday. So, while I don't feel my comments are pure speculation - I've seen it work - alas, I cannot show you a thriving login-required music board. If they still exist, I'm not a participant in them. Perhaps someone else can suggest some?

I would like to see Anonymous posts prohibited to see what effect it would have on the site. Many days most of the posts are anonymous. Without those it would be more dead than it already is. If there is some offer from Morrissey to close the site and wipe the archives I'd recommend you accept it quickly because soon it won't matter.

I would like to see Anonymous posts prohibited to see what effect it would have on the site. Many days most of the posts are anonymous. Without those it would be more dead than it already is. If there is some offer from Morrissey to close the site and wipe the archives I'd recommend you accept it quickly because soon it won't matter.

If it won't matter soon, why do you give a f***? And if you don't give a f***, why exactly are you posting about it?

I believe he may be referring to Benny as he does have a tendency to stuff the boards with his posts, however, I find them to be right on-topic, entertaining and direct. My main issue with anonymous posting is an ability to acquire a knowledge of the person through a history of posts made. It is more fun to get to know (as best one can) the attitudes and beliefs of a named poster. I see Jamie or CG or Aztec Camera or Brummie or Reality Bites and I already have an idea of what to expect. They are all a cast of characters that I find very interesting. Plus, what is to prevent an anonymous poster from continually assigning themselves a new identity thereby circumventing the ability to block their posts? Sometimes given the scale of the project at hand you have to settle for a 90% success rate. Nothing is perfect for everyone in every way.

Quote from http://www.morrissey-solo.com/content/1345-General-Posting-Policy

That's a laugh, David. Even though these anonymous posts are 'moderated', why do so many off-topic, redundant and abusive posts still get approved?

For the 94th time...

You have a choice. If this is the shit-hole you paint it to be, leave. There are places you'd like very much. If it's not actionable, it gets through. You don't like that, I understand. I prefer all to have their say whether inane, sane, praiseworthy, scathing. As before, if you don't like that, no one's forcing you to look. You are asking for censorship for things you don't like.

Last edited:
Show me some examples.

Perhaps Benny gets an exemption (for some reason), but is this not 'off-topic, redundant, or personally abusive'? At the very least it's redundant: it doesn't contribute to any sort of discussion. It's just a pointless, meaningless jibe.

Who is this Same Easty Ryanair character ?

Benny-the-British-Butcher ������

Also, Skinny, you don't need to keep repeating yourself if it bothers you so much. Nobody is forcing you to reply.

Last edited:
Perhaps Benny gets an exemption (for some reason), but is this not 'off-topic, redundant, or personally abusive'? At the very least it's redundant: it doesn't contribute to any sort of discussion. It's just a pointless, meaningless jibe.

Jesus H Christ. If that rattles your cage, you have skin thinner than rice-paper. Grow some.

Also, Skinny, you don't need to keep repeating yourself if it bothers you so much. Nobody is forcing you to reply.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I enjoy replying. And you're right. No one is forcing me to reply. I figure out I want to reply all by myself.

David is a diplomatic Libran like me. You won't be able to sway him on this one!

Back
Top Bottom