shocked into shame to discover...

bikubesong

sober and in celibacy
that the quote: "thank you from the heart of my bottom", isn't Morrissey's!
My English book says it's the quote of some Canadian politician.. or other.. I'm TRULY disappointed. What else has he stolen?

Sorry about this, I guess most of you knew this already.

My English book says it's the quote of some Canadian politician.. or other.. I'm TRULY disappointed. What else has he stolen?

That is like saying because somebody once said "let me kiss you" that must mean Morrissey stole the lyrics of the song "Let Me Kiss You" where he sings "let me kiss you" because he heard someone else say it...you get it son?

EVERYTHING there is to say has already been said by somebody else at some point or another...you have to understand that...

Sorry, I know you're right... It's just you admire Moz for these genious quotes, and then to discover it isn't even his own:p

Never mind. I just had to write it somewhere. A huge shock to me, you see;)

"Let me kiss you Jo" -Geoff (A Taste Of Honey)

It must be taken from that..
:D

Moz has plagarized a lot of stuff...what's that quote? "Talent Borrows, Genius Steals?"

But I think it's genius the way he puts it all together. Most of the things he's stolen aren't that interesting in their original context.

One obvious purpose of Morrissey's art is to get recognition for his heroes, especially if he thinks they are unjustly ignored. That's one of the reason's why he nicks quotes, copies images and poses for photographs in certain ways. His whole body of work is invested with love for what others have done before him and his need to express that.

That quote was also quoted by English Golfer (and miserable b'stard) Nick Faldo.

He said it towards the UK press, who also hate his guts (he is a bit of a knob tbh)

hey ho...

One obvious purpose of Morrissey's art is to get recognition for his heroes, especially if he thinks they are unjustly ignored. That's one of the reason's why he nicks quotes, copies images and poses for photographs in certain ways. His whole body of work is invested with love for what others have done before him and his need to express that.

Noel Gallagher said a similar thing when he nicked the beginning of Imagine for Don't Look Back In Anger. He said the kids that are into Oasis are gonna say, "Imagine? I've never heard of that" and they'll go and buy the record. Well, if you don't *say* that something is a tribute to John Lennon/Oscar Wilde etc., and you wait for the press or whatever to point it out to "the kids", I'm not sure I buy this excuse. I also noted he stole an Oscar Wilde joke in one of his pre-fame letters, so it's not just in his "art" (I'm sure he stole a lot of other quotes that I'm not educated enough to discover :) ).

I'm curious, what do you think is "BS"?

For example they claim these were stolen from other sources:

Them - Bigmouth Strikes Again

There is a Kenny Everett (late British 80s comedian) sketch where he is burned at the stake whilst wearing a Walkman.

Me - That is stupid. He is talking about Joan of Ark and how she was burned at the stake because she supposedly heard messages from God. Obviously he is meaning that she heard messages from God through her walkman and hearing aid. He is not talking about some two-bit Benny Hill.

Them - Half A Person

"I hitchiked all the way down to Memphis, got a room at the YMCA..."
"Guitar Man", by Elvis Presley

"Caliban is only half a person at the best of times."
From "The Collector", by John Fowles

Me - Okay. That Elvis lyric does not even resemble "Sixteen, clumsy, & shy I went to London and died, I booked myself in at the Y.W.C.A." And really, is it so hard for someone to think of the phrase "Half a person"? I mean it isn't rocket science. It isn't like John Fowles was the first person to ever publish ANYTHING that had the phrase "half a person" in it. It is stupid to say Morrissey stole it from that source.

Them - I Don't Owe You Anything

"I don't owe you a thing."
"A Taste Of Honey", by Shelagh Delaney

Me - Really...how are you even going to THINK that had to be stolen from there?

Them - I Want The One I Can't Have

"Health, Health, the blessing of the Rich, the Riches of the Poor"
From Edith Sitwell's "The English Eccentrics"

Me - Other than the phrase "the riches of the poor" how is that from that? Once again...it isn't like Edith Sitwell was the first to say that.

Them - London

"..because you notice the jealousy of those that stay at home..."

By Grand Central Station I Sat Down And Wept, by Elizabeth Smart

Me - No, no, no...

Them - The Queen Is Dead

"The Queen Is Dead"
Last Exit To Brooklyn, Hubert Selby Jnr

Me - This is just silly...people have been saying the 'Queen Is Dead' ever since there have been Queens dying...

I could go on but you see the point...the site is filled mostly with nothing but vague lines that anyone could think of on their own and were said long before any of us or any of the people who they claim wrote them or said them were ever born. Everything has been said before by someone else. If such is the case that you consider what Morrissey does as stealing then everytime someone talks they are guilty of plagarism because everything has been said already. So natuarally when we talk or someone writes a letter they are stealing...right...this is not Bizzaro World...at least not the last time I checked...maybe I should check again though...

^^Very good points, I admit. I've read that site more thoroughly now and I see what you meant. However, there are a few lines I really like that really are stolen, like "...and everything depends on how near you (sleep) to me" and "my only weakness is, well, never mind, never mind". It's disappointing especially because he's such a good lyricist, why would he have to steal at all?

^^Very good points, I admit. I've read that site more thoroughly now and I see what you meant. However, there are a few lines I really like that really are stolen, like "...and everything depends on how near you (sleep) to me" and "my only weakness is, well, never mind, never mind". It's disappointing especially because he's such a good lyricist, why would he have to steal at all?

I guess because it was the line that worked best for him...

Noel Gallagher said a similar thing when he nicked the beginning of Imagine for Don't Look Back In Anger. He said the kids that are into Oasis are gonna say, "Imagine? I've never heard of that" and they'll go and buy the record. Well, if you don't *say* that something is a tribute to John Lennon/Oscar Wilde etc., and you wait for the press or whatever to point it out to "the kids", I'm not sure I buy this excuse. I also noted he stole an Oscar Wilde joke in one of his pre-fame letters, so it's not just in his "art" (I'm sure he stole a lot of other quotes that I'm not educated enough to discover :) ).

Ah but Morrissey's favourite fans are the obsessives like himself who will do their research and find out where his references come from. That's exactly what he is like so that's what he expects his fans to do. There's no way he is just stealing stuff and just trying to pass it off as his own. He wants people to find out where the references come from, but he's not going to spell it out for you. That would be too easy!

^^ I see your point, but I'm not sure I'm convinced. I'd guess both are true, he knows the more informed people will appreciate the tribute, and the less informed (such as myself) will like the line on its own, and it they think he's brilliant for having written it, well, bonus! :)

no shame no shock every word he spoke is precious coz it is related to him and his personality i adore

mostly i do but i mean by his side totally...i like his quotes he says in his concerts and interviews..they dont fit me but himself he ascribes his quotes with himself mostly

I’ve just been listening to a collection of ‘singles to be cremated with’ that Morrissey put together in the 80’s for a radio show, and one song by Paul Jones called ‘I’ve Been a Bad, Bad Boy’ contained the line, ‘I’m not the man you think I am’, in a completely different context to when Moz wrote it in ‘Pretty Girls’ though. It just leapt straight out at me! But, again, who’s to say these odd lines are intentional or even if he realises it’s happened. I know for one, I’d been listening to ‘This Charming Man’ before writing something, and when I re-read it the next day, in one paragraph I’d managed to include the words charming, pamper and complexities! I thought that was quite amusing and I completely did not realise at the time. Funny what enters your subconscious.

And I also think it’s fascinating how Morrissey lays these potential trails of discovery to research into these people who’ve inspired him, my bookcase is certainly bearing evidence to that! He uses source material in a very clever and respectful manner I think, and it only adds to the enjoyment and further admiration on my behalf of how he creates and constructs these narratives.

Back
Top Bottom