Sound like The Smiths Without Busting the Bank - Andertons Music Co

Yeah, was fun to watch. I'm not a musician but I do appreciate the technical details on bands and songs I like.

But did Johnny Marr play a Jaguar in the smiths though?

Although the Rickenbacker sound is so commonly associated with the Smiths, it is a Telecaster (belonging to the band's producer John Porter) that appears on several Smiths songs, including "This Charming Man"

Nice clip about the big red Gibson ES 355 with which he wrote "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" and "Girl Afraid" on the same day:

Nice clip about the big red Gibson ES 355 with which he wrote "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" and "Girl Afraid" on the same day:

Oh thank you so much Doc! :thumb:
Such f***ing beautiful guitar playing.
So simple, beautiful in tone, such beautiful accords.
He really has that unbelievable talent to let the instrument sing.
Johnny Marr was the best and is the best.
He could play a tennisracket and it would still sound great.

So much in contrast with the boring talk of the guys above trying to get that sound by just talking technical bullshit. I am not impressed.
But they forgot the feel, well they didn't seem to understand a guitar needs to sing. They don't have that feel.

Awful to say, sound like the Smiths without busting the bank.
As if they did they would be able to sound even more like it.
How come Johnny Marr sounded like the Smiths without busting the bank? Talent, ambition and feel.
He loves music and you hear it. :brows:
Thanks again!

Johnny sold the Smiths to Sire for a guitar ! :fearscream:;)

In (t)his case I would do the same!
Such a fine instrument.
We got 2 incredible songs. And maybe more.
Sorry for being selfish.
Not. :p

same sorta reverb sound

Johnny was just in his 20's, and the the gear they have now , wasn't
in begin 80's , so stop comparing.

Marr with Morrissey, composed [Andy and Mike also in the studio]
timeless songs who still influence bands.

Next:guitar:

Portland, Oregon's own John 4fooken Maher just stole The Byrds sound like all those other Mank bands like Stereo Roses or whatever they were called.

I couldn't give a toss ! Hey look there's a train coming in on platform 5 why don't you go and grab it's number.

BtBB :greatbritain::knife:

For someone whose hobby is posting essentially the same message, sometimes several times a day, on an internet forum dedicated to someone you don't even like, you've got some nerve sneering at trainspotters.

Although the Rickenbacker sound is so commonly associated with the Smiths, it is a Telecaster (belonging to the band's producer John Porter) that appears on several Smiths songs, including "This Charming Man"
Yes but he never played a jaguar in the smiths so this little video is off to a shaky start and pointless.

Johnny played numerous guitars over the Smiths period, but he has recently found the Jaguar to be a varied enough instrument that he can use it as his main live instrument - so it's fair enough that they chose this as a starting point.

Ultimately though, I think another user said it best: Johnny could play a tennis racket and make it sound good. This is a nice idea for someone wanting to get a rough approximation of Johnny's sound on a budget, without buying a dozen different guitars - but the fact remains that most of the sound is in Johnny's fingers and playing style.

Johnny played numerous guitars over the Smiths period, but he has recently found the Jaguar to be a varied enough instrument that he can use it as his main live instrument - so it's fair enough that they chose this as a starting point.

Ultimately though, I think another user said it best: Johnny could play a tennis racket and make it sound good. This is a nice idea for someone wanting to get a rough approximation of Johnny's sound on a budget, without buying a dozen different guitars - but the fact remains that most of the sound is in Johnny's fingers and playing style.

Yeah, but the video isn't advertising a way to magically make you able to play like Johnny Marr. All they are really saying is that, if you're an amateur guitarist, there's mid-priced equipment available that is similar to what a renowned guitarist uses and they have it in stock.

same sorta reverb sound

Johnny was just in his 20's, and the the gear they have now , wasn't
in begin 80's , so stop comparing.

Marr with Morrissey, composed [Andy and Mike also in the studio]
timeless songs who still influence bands.

Next:guitar:

But Celibate, I don't want to discourage anyone wanting to play the guitar who is genuinely inspired by Johnny Marr.
But the desire to sound exactly like him or even trying to copy him and thinking this can at best be achieved by focussing completely on a technical shortcut, teaching other aspiring guitarists, is doomed to be a failure.

The technical side of it all is just so much smaller and less important. The love for music and making music, inspiration, talent, ambition and feel are the key, in my opinion.

The wish, the drive to express feelings through music and making a magical connection to people who want to need to feel the connection is so much more important.

But I am not condoning anyone and it is still possible guitarists focusing more on the technical side of playing guitar will find out their guitar playing can become so much better, if they explore that other side too.
Cheers Celibate!

Yeah, but the video isn't advertising a way to magically make you able to play like Johnny Marr. All they are really saying is that, if you're an amateur guitarist, there's mid-priced equipment available that is similar to what a renowned guitarist uses and they have it in stock.

Yes, but it does say: Sound like The Smiths.
There is some kind of commercial, marketing sense to it too.
For the rest I agree with you cause your arguments are reasonable and give insight. I value your opinion because of that.
Again, I don't want to discourage any guitarist who is inspired by Johnny Marr.
Cheers :thumb:

Yes but he never played a jaguar in the smiths so this little video is off to a shaky start and pointless.

and an advertising for guitars, and all the gear they need, to start playing, and I will take some time I guess you can play like these 2 shoplifters:lbf:

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom