Taking kids to Moz shows

AllYouNeedIsMoz

Queen Bee
So who's taken kids to Morrissey shows? What's the advice out there?

I'm taking my oldest two, ages 12 & 11, to Myrtle Beach. It'll be their first concert and I can't think of anything better. Since they are pretty-much adult-sized and because the venue is small, I don't anticipate big problems with GA. However, the show doesn't even start til their bedtime. :)

Comments from non-parents are welcome as long as they aren't "Leave the kids at home" because why on earth would I not let them see their favorite performer ever?

Last edited:
as long as you're not taking them to be baptized by moz, i think it's a great idea. i don't like parents who fling their children on stage.

our kids have been to gigs, Moz & otherwise.
1. the kids like being up late, you ask any kid who doesn't like being up when they should be in bed.
2. the adoration they get from fans is amazing, we made up t-shirts for them. People wanted pics taken wit them. This was Glasgow (probably the hardest city in the UK).
3. they'll be fast asleep on the journey home.
4. the next day they'll say "whatever", but still they'll be there next time & you'll even hear them singing along to the cd on the car.

love

Grim

I wish i had parents that would drag me to gigs.:)
I have to drag my parents

I took my 2 year old to Pasadena..

The Hollywood Bowl wanted to charge me..

Good thing I didn't bring her, It's outdoors

and Inconsiderate %$@#%$%$ think it's okay to smoke in the presence of children and audults..

I don't want your cancer..Find an alley

I took my 2 year old to Pasadena..

The Hollywood Bowl wanted to charge me..

Good thing I didn't bring her, It's outdoors

and Inconsiderate %$@#%$%$ think it's okay to smoke in the presence of children and audults..

I don't want your cancer..Find an alley

You're starting to sound like one of them LIBERALS who want to ban smoking :rolleyes:

You're starting to sound like one of them LIBERALS who want to ban smoking :rolleyes:

In a public arena...YES

I quit smoking because I don't want to DIE

At least people who shoot themselves in the head don't have to worry about the bullet ricoccheting and hitting innocent bystanders...

I started going to shows at 13... all by myself. (I lived in Europe then, where people are saner in some ways.) My parents let me go by virtue of who my father was (no one would mess with me because of that.)

Sadly, it wasn't Moz. I hadn't yet heard of the Smiths, theydidn't tour to the city where I lived anyway. But Peter Gabriel...

anyway, it can only be a positive experience for them. And it's summer break.

here is my criteria about whether kids should be at the show:

is he really their favorite performer ever? or is are they going to be like some of the kids i saw in Austin who were wandering all over the place because they were bored?

i also feel like some people bring their kids along because they think it gives them leverage in getting Moz's attention (how exactly did that 7 year old get up on stage anyway? doesn't that ruin the rock experience when people are taking their small kids because they think its a family outing like 'Sesame Street Live'?). it's kind of mean to take small kids into a pit. they can't see. people can't see them. i've been in a pit where my sides were sore for 2 days because of the squish that happened when "Everyday is Like Sunday" was played. i can't imagine how scary that could be for a small kid.

I would also add to make children wear earplugs if close to stage. Makes me sad when I see young kids so close to the speakers without earplugs.

Ugh, using kids as leverage for Moz is icky (and one of the reasons I wouldn't bring my 8 & 6 year olds, despite their begging). In our case, my children LOVE Morrissey/Smiths. They want to go to a concert, and they want to see Morrissey as their first concert. I can't see why not.

Thanks for the suggestion on earplugs, elain. I've often thought -I- need them when at a concert.

Bring a gas mask if you go to outdoor event...

Nobody enforces the smoking ban

Bring a gas mask if you go to outdoor event...

Nobody enforces the smoking ban

Once again, you are sounding like an alarmist Liberal :rolleyes:

The Hollywood Bowl was outdoor event.... if people want to drink and smoke than it should be their choice ....I had a few cocktails and I smoked a whole pack of cigarettes in less than 6hrs, I'm not proud but it was my choice and I made it..... If the event had been indoors I would agree with no smoking but ourdoors where there's tons of ventilation.... I say let people have fun! It's cruel to sell acohol and not let people smoke anyway.....there are tons of people who only smoke when they drink.... i bet that's why you saw so many people smoking.

ANyway, instead of bitching about smoking..... you should be more concerned with the lack of security they had that night entering the venue...... I walked in there w/o even getting patted or anything....and so did the poople infront and next to me..... someone could've carried a bomb in there and we wouldn't be here to tell about it...... (I'm sounding like an alarmist right -winger now, so I'll stop)

Once again, you are sounding like an alarmist Liberal :rolleyes:

so, let me get this straight...

any activity that YOU do is republican while anything that is against what you do is liberal?

yes, let me just say that i live in the very republican state of TX where they have raised the price of cigarettes to $5 a pack. Rick and the Stooges have signed it into law under the thought that you are doing something immoral and robbing poor insurance companies of all their money paying for your lung cancer and emphasyma treatments. Therefore, the purchase price of your cigarettes have been jacked up to pay your debt to society.

i personally don't smoke, so cigarettes can be $50 a pack. i think the only reason why people take up smoking these days is so they can run out to the cigarette break area and gossip and have instant friends. but in the end, i think that smoking bans in restaurants and venues are not a partisan issue. i think the divide simply lies between "smokers", "nonsmokers", and "people who don't give a fart either way."

any activity that YOU do is republican while anything that is against what you do is liberal?

yes, let me just say that i live in the very republican state of TX where they have raised the price of cigarettes to $5 a pack. Rick and the Stooges have signed it into law under the thought that you are doing something immoral and robbing poor insurance companies of all their money paying for your lung cancer and emphasyma treatments. Therefore, the purchase price of your cigarettes have been jacked up to pay your debt to society.

i personally don't smoke, so cigarettes can be $50 a pack. i think the only reason why people take up smoking these days is so they can run out to the cigarette break area and gossip and have instant friends. but in the end, i think that smoking bans in restaurants and venues are not a partisan issue. i think the divide simply lies between "smokers", "nonsmokers", and "people who don't give a fart either way."

Hi Suzanne...

I personally think it's disgusting to be see Morrissey sing "Life Is A Pigsty" and look around and seen simaltanious clouds of Cigarette smoke rising for every corner of the venue...Personally, If people want to smoke..they should go somwhere where it's not going to interfer with the vision and breathing of the other people who came to see A Morrissey concert not a Native American Pow Wow...I mean who would want to take their kids to see Morrissey and expose them to the dangers of second hand smoke and stupidity of people who are taking the quick road to death...

But that's my two cents

Hold on..... I NEVER said I was a Republican......YUK!!! I hate them as much as Democrats ....... none of these people care about civil liberties, which is the most important issue to me.....so there. :cool:
Haven't you noticed that I'm endorsing Ron Paul for 2008..... he's got the best from the two parties, w/o any of the politically correct bullshit from the LIberals or the fascist oppression from conservatives.

Hold on..... I NEVER said I was a Republican......YUK!!! I hate them as much as Democrats ....... none of these people care about civil liberties, which is the most important issue to me.....so there. :cool:
Haven't you noticed that I'm endorsing Ron Paul for 2008..... he's got the best from the two parties, w/o any of the politically correct bullshit from the LIberals or the fascist oppression from conservatives.

Dann is a closet republican...

And he would take Rosie O'Donnell's kids to see Morrissey

Hi Suzanne...

I personally think it's disgusting to be see Morrissey sing "Life Is A Pigsty" and look around and seen simaltanious clouds of Cigarette smoke rising for every corner of the venue...Personally, If people want to smoke..they should go somwhere where it's not going to interfer with the vision and breathing of the other people who came to see A Morrissey concert not a Native American Pow Wow...I mean who would want to take their kids to see Morrissey and expose them to the dangers of second hand smoke and stupidity of people who are taking the quick road to death...

But that's my two cents

OMG.....LOL!!!

I was one of those who lit up during Life Is A Pigsty :D I was in the second row isle being blocked by fatsos and security and I knew that How Soon Is Now? was coming up next, so I smoked two cigarrettes to get all pumped up because the time for me to make it to the very front next to the stage had come.... it worked..... thank you god for Parliament Lights !!!

Back
Top Bottom