Talkhouse podcast: Idles singer wouldn't support Morrissey (May 28, 2020)

Idles are pretty big. I suspect their last album sold more than Morrissey’s recent atrocity.

They are consistently inclusive, anti racist, anti misogyny and carry a genuine emotional punch. In those regards they are Morrissey’s polar opposites.

Morrissey IS anti racist, anti misogyny and carries more genuine emotional punch than one thousand Idles put together so I honestly have no idea what the f*** you're talking about, no offence.

Oh, and Morrissey's latest album is fantastic though that is obviously a matter of taste, you don't have to agree.

I hate the term "virtue signalling" because it suggests being a decent person is somehow an attention-seeking behavior, but this video should just he called Hipster - "Virtue Signalling."

'Born to Post Anonymously' wrote about Idles and that song in this thread in 2018:
You're welcome!

No they don’t.

It’s questions from the audience.
Sorry, cross purposes - my bad.
Host ≠ questioner.
FWD.

(I have managed to avoid cliques, superfans & the like for almost 40 years - whilst seeing The Smiths and Morrissey too many times to count - I don't feel shedding any light on an 'ex Morrissey fan' really serves to demonstrate me being there when it 'mattered').

A fantastic live band too. Much better than seeing Morrissey haul his tired old carcass around another stage.
Of course you are free to like any band and dislike Morrissey.
What I don't understand is the attitude to come to a Morrissey fan site to say horrible things about him. Very odious and hurtful things.
Please, respect Morrissey fans!

I'm sure the paychecks help.
I disagree.
Matt Walker has just posted in his IG a really nice picture of Moz, taken by himself, at a last year's recording session.
My question to you is: would he do that if he didn't love him?

What I don't understand is the attitude to come to a Morrissey fan site to say horrible things about him. Very odious and hurtful things.

this is not a fan site to start with

Idles are pretty big. I suspect their last album sold more than Morrissey’s recent atrocity.

They are consistently inclusive, anti racist, anti misogyny and carry a genuine emotional punch. In those regards they are Morrissey’s polar opposites.
anti racist, anti misogyny. Sounds boring. Nothing like an emotion punch from a white knight

there’s not really any story to speak of here to be honest...

If your a fan of Idles, you’d know they wouldn’t have anything to do with Morrissey.
I reckon they are fans though, of The Smiths more likely though, I saw them on Steve Jones podcast where they asked about what Morrissey was like, Steve said he was alright but he’s a “singer” which raised some laughs.

it would have been easy for Talbot to stick the knife in here, considering the mild applause when he mentioned Morrissey’s name, but I think he just dropped the name as a relevant figure for the current discussion e.g. bringing up the James Brown/Michael Jackson

"POC" is an insulting and condescending term. There's "white people" and then there's "POC". It's a form of oppression to label and lump together all non-whites in this way. My family is from Pakistan and my/our life experience is different from a latino family living in LA to a black family living in Brixton. By trying to speak on my behalf generalising all non-white people you're being a racist oppressor, trying to tell our stories for us, even though you maybe don't mean to and maybe have admirable intentions.

"I honestly fail to understand" yes you certainly do, you actually wrote the answer in your post and didn't realise

Of course I don’t think every person’s experience or reality is the same, would never say that. But, you can’t deny that there is a shared commonality between us; I am sure you have experienced xenophobic attitudes in your lifetime as I have, no? Also, I was not speaking for you or anyone else; it is my opinion; and there are plenty of those on this site, so not sure why you came in so hard at me.
You took offense to POC, what would have been a more appropriate way to make that reference?

Of course I don’t think every person’s experience or reality is the same, would never say that. But, you can’t deny that there is a shared commonality between us; I am sure you have experienced xenophobic attitudes in your lifetime as I have, no? Also, I was not speaking for you or anyone else; it is my opinion; and there are plenty of those on this site, so not sure why you came in so hard at me.
You took offense to POC, what would have been a more appropriate way to make that reference?
You said "I'm sure his band members have rationalized it all" as if there's something there for them to rationalize, you're suggesting it's strange if you're not white and yet you're not offended by his "politics and antics". You're suggesting you know more about Morrissey's personality and opinions than people who are around him on a day-to-day basis, and that these people have to overlook something to work with him. You have experienced xenophobia and so now we have a "shared commonality" apparently because I am not white.

It wasn't so much the term POC in particular I take offence to, I just find it really annoying when people get all self-righteous and try to speak on behalf of "voiceless minorities" but the language they use in itself is a bit racist. You're either white and the oppressor, or you're something else: a POC. This language also excludes "white" victims of xenophobia, even though people with white skin can also come from all walks of life.

You said "I'm sure his band members have rationalized it all" as if there's something there for them to rationalize, you're suggesting it's strange if you're not white and yet you're not offended by his "politics and antics". You're suggesting you know more about Morrissey's personality and opinions than people who are around him on a day-to-day basis, and that these people have to overlook something to work with him. You have experienced xenophobia and so now we have a "shared commonality" apparently because I am not white.

It wasn't so much the term POC in particular I take offence to, I just find it really annoying when people get all self-righteous and try to speak on behalf of "voiceless minorities" but the language they use in itself is a bit racist. You're either white and the oppressor, or you're something else: a POC. This language also excludes "white" victims of xenophobia, even though people with white skin can also come from all walks of life.
"POC" is an insulting and condescending term. There's "white people" and then there's "POC". It's a form of oppression to label and lump together all non-whites in this way. My family is from Pakistan and my/our life experience is different from a latino family living in LA to a black family living in Brixton. By trying to speak on my behalf generalising all non-white people you're being a racist oppressor, trying to tell our stories for us, even though you maybe don't mean to and maybe have admirable intentions.

"I honestly fail to understand" yes you certainly do, you actually wrote the answer in your post and didn't realise

Again, you’re coming in a bit too hot. I think we can respectfully disagree on this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey IS anti racist, anti misogyny and carries more genuine emotional punch than one thousand Idles put together so I honestly have no idea what the f*** you're talking about, no offence.

Oh, and Morrissey's latest album is fantastic though that is obviously a matter of taste, you don't have to agree.

The debate is no longer if Morrissey is racist. Only the most foolish ignore or defend his racism. Why they do is interesting.

Bigots should be free to wallow in their cesspit of ignorance and shit free from ridicule.

The debate is no longer if Morrissey is racist. Only the most foolish ignore or defend his racism. Why they do is interesting.

You've posted WHY you think people defend him - you think they're foolish.

And if you're interested in why people would be foolish in defence of Morrissey, then there is a debate.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom