The Guardian: "The Avalanches' teenage obsessions: 'I cried hearing Strawberry Fields Forever'" - Smiths/Morrissey mentions (December 2, 2020)

That was a Morrissey story I have not heard before. Does video footage exist of the event?

That was a Morrissey story I have not heard before. Does video footage exist of the event?
The August 18th gig (Chiba) beginning is online via YT and doesn't match their recollections (nor was Morrissey on directly after them, but that may not be intended literally).
Which leaves the gig on the 17th (Osaka). The post-gig report at the time for the 17th doesn't appear to support it either (there's little evidence to support they played the 17th at all).
Regards,
FWD.

Edit: just to be clear, neither appearance by Morrissey at Summer Sonic matches: "Morrissey then started to play, but no one was there." - both audio recordings of said gigs further support it not happening that way.

The 18th is the date they were on the bill together and that opened like this:
20201203_081655.jpg

There was nothing horrible in that article!!!

I don't know if it's all true but I'm glad it's nice.

The August 18th gig (Chiba) beginning is online via YT and doesn't match their recollections (nor was Morrissey on directly after them, but that may not be intended literally).
Which leaves the gig on the 17th (Osaka). The post-gig report at the time for the 17th doesn't appear to support it either (there's little evidence to support they played the 17th at all).
Regards,
FWD.

The 18th is the date they were on the bill together and that opened like this:
View attachment 66250

Bit disappointed. The scene he described would have been quite the spectacle. Good night and thank you.

This recollection confirms the part about his performing slot in Chiba being rescheduled (due to Cornershop cancelling.)

"For Day Two of the festival I decided to just pop along in the afternoon to catch Siouxsie and the Banshees and, after Cornershop had finished their set, Morrissey.

I was at home when I got the message from Ryan on my cell phone. (Ryan was already at the festival.) "Cornershop cancelled," he informed me. "If you want to see Morrissey you better get out here - now!" I dropped everything and jumped on the next train to the venue in Chiba. A thoughtful friend is Ryan.

When I got to the venue it was hardly packed at all, except for the first six or seven rows. I spotted Ryan at the very front. I could see I wouldn't be able get to him without treading on a lot of toes. My cell phone started to vibrate - it was Ryan. "I always wanted to speak to someone on my phone while they are only a few feet away," he said. Ryan was a veteran of a lot of gigs. "This is something else," he enthused, referring to the fact we were soon to witness none other than the Bard of Whalley Range himself live in concert.

Siouxsie and the Banshees were marvellous. "They were really great", said Ryan. (He'd called to chat while we waited for Morrissey to come on.) "Budgie's a f**king amazing drummer," I said. The crowd thinned out after Siouxsie but I still couldn't get any closer to the front of the stage. It was then that the Morrissey devotees started to congregate."

Link:

I'm guessing if it was tribute act The Dungbeetles version, Dangleberry Fields Forever, it would've had a bit less emotional impact?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom