The Ricky Gervais Appreciation Thread

iamkali62

I saw him on the Emmys last night and he is SO MUCH funnier than Steve Carell and I want to see his new movie, which I can't think of the name right now, but he makes me laugh even when he smiles that smile of his. So, today I salute Mr. Ricky Gervais! :guitar:

The American version of the Office was tragic in comparison with the British one, I like Steve Carell but he just couldn't match up to Ricky Gervais

Steve Carell and the U.S. version of, "The Office" is so not funny. The bit at the Emmys between Carell and Gervais was hilarious but Ricky just has that ...I don't know. He's just funnier that Steve Carell! :D

Steve Carell and the U.S. version of, "The Office" is so not funny. The bit at the Emmys between Carell and Gervais was hilarious but Ricky just has that ...I don't know. He's just funnier that Steve Carell! :D

I never saw the Emmys tbh, I'll have to you tube it ;) Gervais is dryer and more sarcastic, the office makes me cringe, in a good way I suppose! Whereas Carell's comedy is...more obvious imo

I never saw the Emmys tbh, I'll have to you tube it ;) Gervais is dryer and more sarcastic, the office makes me cringe, in a good way I suppose! Whereas Carell's comedy is...more obvious imo

That's what I like about Gervais's humor. It's nice and dry and sarcastic. And he has that embarrassed smile in the Office when something goes wrong. Carell just boings in every different direction. Not funny. I don't like pie in the face humor.

The (UK) Office was really good, and Extras was pretty good most of the time, but Gervais' stand-up leaves a lot to be desired. There's no real wit or improvisation involved - he basically cobbles together a string of mediocre jokes and delivers them in such a way that you can tell he has rehearsed the routine to within an inch of its' life. Animals was funny, Politics was funny in places, but Fame is borderline terrible. I recommend that anyone who has not bought the Fame DVD buys 'Randomist' by Ross Noble instead.

In fact, someone should start a Ross Noble Appreciation thread. I would, but I can't be bothered.

That's what I like about Gervais's humor. It's nice and dry and sarcastic. And he has that embarrassed smile in the Office when something goes wrong. Carell just boings in every different direction. Not funny. I don't like pie in the face humor.

I like pie in the face humour now and again, but I think Carell tries too hard to imitate Gervais in the office and it just doesn't work. Gervais all the way :)

The Office and Extras are probably the funniest TV to come out of the UK in the last 10 years. At times they make you cringe, but they are so consistently funny. The Office Christmas specials were just so beautifully written and acted and had the best finale that you could have hoped for. I've never seen the US version, so I can't comment. I agree with others here that the Gervais stand up shows are patchy at best; he doesn't have to make crass jokes about kids with cancer, he's naturally funny, anyway.

I saw him on the Emmys last night and he is SO MUCH funnier than Steve Carell and I want to see his new movie, which I can't think of the name right now, but he makes me laugh even when he smiles that smile of his. So, today I salute Mr. Ricky Gervais! :guitar:

The movie is Ghost Town & he is a comedic genius! :clap::clap:

The movie is Ghost Town & he is a comedic genius! :clap::clap:

modegrrl2- thanks! I knew it had something to do with ghosts or angels or something. He is a complete comedic genius! :clap::clap::clap: glad you agree!:)

love

Grim

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Thanks, Grim -that was a good part of the show :guitar:

p.s. Evan Almighty was better than I thought it would be. :o:)

2 funniest things you will ever see:

1) the extras on The Office dvd - outtakes, making of the difficult 2nd series, and tying up the editor.

2) Gervais talking about a leaflet he found at university about different ways to cum. On the Politics stand-up show I think.

Back
Top Bottom