Upstarts and Oligarchs blog review by Rob Butterfield: "Moz is back ...and he’s certainly no dog on a chain" 10/10

By Rob Butterfield - March 23, 2020.

Excerpt:

"March 20th saw the release of the latest album from Morrissey ‘I am not a dog on a chain’. His last album ‘California Son’ compelled me to write a blog post about what, in my opinion, was the greatest album release in 2019, despite its harsh reviews from an evidently anti-Moz clutch of oh-so predictable music journalists. The tide seems to have changed for this release though and the press (with the exception of, unexpectedly, The Guardian) are waxing lyrical about his latest offering claiming it to be “his best music in years” (Associated Press) and “worth crossing the the Twittermob line for...” (NME) - not that Morrissey ever needs to covet favourable press reviews!"

Should I be worried at the reviews? Has “the one-time poet laureate of the sensitive, the lonely, the misunderstood and other people who spent too much time in their teenage bedrooms” (The Times) gone soft in his old age? I’d have to wait until my pre-order vinyl copy arrived to find out..."

Regards,
FWD.

Yes! What's challenging maybe for some "professional" reviewers is that you cannot listen to I am not a dog on chain without being intimately familiar with Morrissey's entire back catalog. It's definitely a different record. However, it is glorious. I had my doubts seeing that Boz wote no songs and Alain has been out of the picture for a while. Every track belongs.....does that make sense? The title song is complete earworm material. Jim Jim Falls....perfect starter track. The truth about Ruth dare I say has inspiration of Charles Aznavour's story-telling flare and the music reminds me of that 50s Paris era brat pack. A wonderful record. It cannot be compared to any of his previous recordings. I only wished he had 1 heavier a la "Years of Refusal" song. Bravo Morrissey.

Yes! What's challenging maybe for some "professional" reviewers is that you cannot listen to I am not a dog on chain without being intimately familiar with Morrissey's entire back catalog. It's definitely a different record. However, it is glorious. I had my doubts seeing that Boz wote no songs and Alain has been out of the picture for a while. Every track belongs.....does that make sense? The title song is complete earworm material. Jim Jim Falls....perfect starter track. The truth about Ruth dare I say has inspiration of Charles Aznavour's story-telling flare and the music reminds me of that 50s Paris era brat pack. A wonderful record. It cannot be compared to any of his previous recordings. I only wished he had 1 heavier a la "Years of Refusal" song. Bravo Morrissey.

Agree with you - at first I went in looking for the usual Morrissey and was fully unimpressed but after a few listens it "clicked" for me and I really like it now. It works really well as an album rather than as a collection of singles and you're right that it's not comparable to any of the past albums.

WPINOYB and LIHS never clicked for me... they sounded like uneven collections of mostly B-sides. And I respect "California Son" more than I like it. But, that's just me...

1A316648-5786-4832-B8BC-91D22E01FA08.gif

I was kind of the same, but then I let it loop & ended up loving it all. Always let Morrissey loop! ?
I haven’t looped with anyone in a while... so yes , only as it morrissey I shall start to loop again....

Agree with you - at first I went in looking for the usual Morrissey and was fully unimpressed but after a few listens it "clicked" for me and I really like it now. It works really well as an album rather than as a collection of singles and you're right that it's not comparable to any of the past albums.

WPINOYB and LIHS never clicked for me... they sounded like uneven collections of mostly B-sides. And I respect "California Son" more than I like it. But, that's just me...
I love world peace, the thing that annoys me most about it is the 1.30 pause from neal Cassidy onto I’m not a man. That long pause really drags the umph from the start. Secondly the last four song are usually the same on a moz album, it just fades, very much like dogs in chains.... I’ve got the deluxe WP , that in itself me thinks is stunning. I love art hounds, one of our own

10/10?!!!!

Tremendous review. Absolutely unparalleled. The words? So wordly and wordish. Some of the best words in the history of words. The opinion? Spot-on. The liberal cucks and SJW monkeys are eating crow. THIS reviewer “gets it”! His rating and unbiased account of the album are tantamount to Pulitzer material. Many have tried but few have achieved this level of reviewing-greatness.

9/10 for this reviewer. Would have been a full ten, if he’d suggested canonization.

I love world peace, the thing that annoys me most about it is the 1.30 pause from neal Cassidy onto I’m not a man. That long pause really drags the umph from the start. Secondly the last four song are usually the same on a moz album, it just fades, very much like dogs in chains.... I’ve got the deluxe WP , that in itself me thinks is stunning. I love art hounds, one of our own
The “umph”? I guess the notion of “umph” is fairly personal. I don’t hear any “umph” on that entire album.

Quick poll -
Just respond with the appropriate number:

1. I hear “umph”.
2. I hear “meh”
3. I hear “drivel”
4. I hear “greatest thing ever heard in my life”

The results of this poll will be used to rate Morrissey-Solo users on their intelligence, depth of pandering, musical taste, self-esteem and social demographic.

PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED!
-4 Stage-worn “f*** the Guardian” T-shirts
-50 Morrissey autographed Taylor Swift LPs
-250 Prints: Dead people with Morrissey LPs
-1 wheel of Kerrygold
-1 Texas-Mickey of Grey Goose
-1 “Carry Morrissey’s parcels” meet and greet

More fun polls will follow, in the coming days.
Thanks for participating. Keep posting and we’ll keep polling!

What's the competition? Billie Eilish?

Your taste is the desert island.
So, you’re only familiar with Morrissey and Billie Eilish but you’re spouting off like someone who listens to music? There are loads of amazing artists out there. Turn off the radio and do some digging. You might be surprised. If you’re not, at that point, you’re as much of a lost, Melvis-felcher as you seem to be.

It’s not my responsibility to pull you from your wee bubble, Sunshine.

I should mention this, before I continue to take the piss out of the slug-sycophants on this page...

IANADOAC is - by far - Morrissey’s best musical effort in years. The music is solid. It’s downright lovely, at points. Some really sweet musicality and production.

Having said that, the lyrics are about as strong as a thrice-used t-bag.

...and Morrissey doesn’t write the music, does he?

have we seen a ten out of ten before.

So, you’re only familiar with Morrissey and Billie Eilish but you’re spouting off like someone who listens to music? There are loads of amazing artists out there. Turn off the radio and do some digging. You might be surprised. If you’re not, at that point, you’re as much of a lost, Melvis-felcher as you seem to be.

It’s not my responsibility to pull you from your wee bubble, Sunshine.

what is your responsibility? to be a total and complete c***?

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom