What does this lyric mean?

masterrhodes

On Your Ban List
"Head in the clouds and a mouthful of pie". My wife says it is referring to something perverted but I never saw it like that.

I just see it as very literal - a dreamer (in the clouds) who is a simple person (eats pies, nothing fancy).

I could be wrong but with such a simplistic song as it is I would be surprised if there was a double meaning there?!

i think it means that Dave is like one of those mindless yuppies like you find at the grocery store who would run over you with their carts because they are too busy talking on the phone and being absorbed in their own lives to pay you any attention. he just walks around, doesn't notice anything, but doesn't feel like he needs to because he's well-stocked on the good things in life.

Head in the clouds - spacey, flighty, not really aware with what is going on around him

Mouth full of pie - gluttonous

Suzanne said:
i think it means that Dave is like one of those mindless yuppies like you find at the grocery store who would run over you with their carts because they are too busy talking on the phone and being absorbed in their own lives to pay you any attention. he just walks around, doesn't notice anything, but doesn't feel like he needs to because he's well-stocked on the good things in life.

Coming from Dagenham, Dave is definitely not a yuppy. Nor does he have many of the good things in life.

Because its about a bloke from Dagenham I think the Pie reference is literal.

After all East London, Pie and Mash and all that.

'Head in the clouds' because from my knowledge of people from these parts are always talking a load of rubbish about this that and the other and not getting a check on reality.

Its about people of who are small minded.

In my opinion the song would be apt today if it was addressed to all the idiots who think fame owes them a living and goes on Pop Idol etc..

Thanks for the replies

My wife made me do a search for "mouthful of pie" and the first thing to come up was from a gay site. I refuse to believe he would sing about something that nasty. She says shes right, but I know the truth.

masterrhodes said:
My wife made me do a search for "mouthful of pie" and the first thing to come up was from a gay site. I refuse to believe he would sing about something that nasty. She says shes right, but I know the truth.

tell us more ;)

froggy_girl128 said:
my b/f says theres a saying "pie in the sky" relating to unachivable ambitions and such.

Yes, pie in the sky is more or less the same as head in the clouds. People who go through life with no grip on reality.

Bit like Delboy and his ambition to be a millionaire.

Maybe the site you're referring to copied it from him (the person copied it, that is) rather than the other way around. The song is, after all, 10 years old.

I refuse to believe Moz would be so... literal.

If you feel it's mere illusion don't bother replying to me - leave me with my illusions.

mouth full of pie..... referring to the female parts!!!! Han't anyone said this yet?

kat said:
mouth full of pie..... referring to the female parts!!!! Han't anyone said this yet?

I thought that, too. Like in the Beatles song "Penny Lane" when they include that line "For a fish and finger pie, in summer, meanwhile back"

Wow, smutty Moz!

beatles quote

mozmic_dancer said:
I thought that, too. Like in the Beatles song "Penny Lane" when they include that line "For a fish and finger pie, in summer, meanwhile back"QUOTE]

that's what i thought as well, including the lyric that made me think that. harrison says in the anthology book that it's "total liverpool smut". when thinking of dagenham dave's "laddisms", it makes sense to me.

and that lyric is "four of fish and finger pie". ;)

Suzanne said:
It's been weeks since I ran over someone with my cart!

Dave said:
It's been weeks since I ran over someone with my cart!
oh, i see. you managed to con some woman into doing your shopping for you!

kat said:
Ha ha. How simplistic I must be then, I thought
it referred to pie as in food and head in the clouds as in being in a dream.
I don't think Morrissey would be talking about anything untoward.

Back
Top Bottom