Who's the best bass player to have worked with Morrissey?

Who's the best bass player to have worked with Morrissey?

• Andy Rourke

Votes: 36 55.4%
  • Stephen Street

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Mark Bedford

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Gary Day

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Jonny Bridgwood

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Solomon Walker

Votes: 4 6.2%

• Total voters

Spineless Swine

Are you loathsome tonight
I was just wondering what everyone else thought about this.

I love Rourkes funky bass style with the high treble and always thought Gary Day let the Smiths covers down by de-funking them.

Although this new guy seems to be giving them better treatment.

Opinions please...

Jonny Bridgwood.

Mastered both extremes of Morrissey's music on Vauxhall and Southpaw.

I was just wondering what everyone else thought about this.

I love Rourkes funky bass style with the high treble and always thought Gary Day let the Smiths covers down by de-funking them.

Although this new guy seems to be giving them better treatment.

Opinions please...

Sam here!
Andy was great for The Smitths. Like Mike, dammit. hate myself
Gary was in my opinion the best for Moz-solo, but SS is right about the de-funking :p

Gary Day All The Way!:cool:

Walker's upright bass playing makes me sad.:(

didn't andy just play whatever he was told to play by mister marr? if that is the case then johnny marr deserves a mention not the replaceable lawnmower part.

I'm happily surprised to see a few people already speaking up for Jonny Bridgwood. He was very solid - melodic, classically-trained on bowed-bass, and a good complement to Spencer Cobrin as a rhythm team.

There's no question that Gaz wins the charisma vote and he did improve a lot over the years - he worked very hard to become a great bass player. But I think Jonny added a versatility that none of the others had. Real nice guy, too, from the people who've mentioned meeting him.

Andy Rourke is an amazing player but - and call it heresy if you must - he sometimes was guilty of overplaying, imo.

Cheers,
Jamie

didn't andy just play whatever he was told to play by mister marr? if that is the case then johnny marr deserves a mention not the replaceable lawnmower part.

Yeah, Andy was Johnny's golem.

Exactly.

Well, Andy did wrote a couple a great tunes though. But still, Gary by a mile.

i have met andy,gary and jonny,to me the best actually skilled bass player is jonny,but the coolest will always be gary.

Yeah I've met Andy and Gary. I know whatchu mean.

Wish he were still in the line up. :cool:

I bought Gary a beer. He was very nice.

Exactly.

Well, Andy did wrote a couple a great tunes though. But still, Gary by a mile.

Yeah I've met Andy and Gary. I know whatchu mean.

Wish he were still in the line up. :cool:
me to
i like jonny's work from vauxhall and southpaw,from what i read ,he came up with it and i like the bass work on those recordings.and he was really nice in '97 on the maladjusted tour

but gary is def the cool one

I bought Gary a beer. He was very nice.

he is a very cool dude,i drank with him and the other band members backstage after the second night in boston in 2004.a whole ton of fun.

he is a very cool dude,i drank with him and the other band members backstage after the second night in boston in 2004.a whole ton of fun.

How on earth did you arrange that?

How on earth did you arrange that?

well,to make a long story short,im sitting in the orpheum,show was great,and two of my ex's were there,and one of them comes up to me and says this is for you,and it is a backstage pass,so after the show i go backstage,and i know the man himself woudld never be there and is long gone but anyways i go backstage and all the band is there,free beers and booze,was a lot of fun,we all drank till 2 or 3 in the morning.

gary was hitting on my ex and i was like "no you have to!! its gary day!!!!" but alas she failed me and my dreams and chickened out.

Back
Top Bottom