Why is Morrissey being racist acceptable to many?

T

The M word

I know it isn't but many people are fine with Morrissey being racist.

I know it isn't but many people are fine with Morrissey being racist.

Because they have fond memories of just listening to his records for decades. They all must know by now that the guy is a xenophobe.

Because they are either racist themselves, or they don’t recognise rascism when it’s staring them in the face.

In many cases it’s sheer cowardice, as they condemn other racists while staring at their feet and not saying a word when Morrissey spouts his bile.

I think theres more nuance to the things he’s said about race and nationality. He’s clearly not a white supremacist given his band is made up of some non white musicians and has many non white idols. A lot of these accusations about morrissey come from association rather than direct deed

Blacks are burning down cities (along with your white sjw buddies) and your worried about Morrissey being racist? Pathetic. You're probably out there throwing up your white fist in solidary to blacks that don't even respect you. Morrissey isn't racist but even if he was , so what

Blacks are burning down cities (along with your white sjw buddies) and your worried about Morrissey being racist? Pathetic. You're probably out there throwing up your white fist in solidary to blacks that don't even respect you. Morrissey isn't racist but even if he was , so what

But the fact that Morrissey seems to attract many racists like Opie here is surely indicative that they see in him a kindred spirit. And it is generally only the racist element of his fan base that finds his racist outbursts acceptable. Some fans are simply in denial and/or ignorance; some will be people like me who prefer to remember the glories of times past but who are not that interested in the music that he produces now, or the public image that goes with it.

But the fact that Morrissey seems to attract many racists like Opie here is surely indicative that they see in him a kindred spirit. And it is generally only the racist element of his fan base that finds his racist outbursts acceptable. Some fans are simply in denial and/or ignorance; some will be people like me who prefer to remember the glories of times past but who are not that interested in the music that he produces now, or the public image that goes with it.

We all see what we want/need to see.

Maybe we are ALL wrong.

and Morrissey smiles.

:cool:

Found a newspaper interview you did yesterday.

437543cd31867b40ec8c737941380836.jpg

Nobody asked a lonely lesbian what she thinks. You can call me racist all you want. It's laughable and you can't even point to anything racist that I said. I don't hate any race but unlike you I don't turn a blind eye to our differences and I don't blame white people when blacks are out being violent thugs. This self hating white shit is embarrassing

It's not a question of 'acceptable'. It's because I'm not sure he is and I don't like joining in with a shrieking, hate-filled pile-on just because everybody else is unless I actually agree. I think he's often embarrassingly ill-informed, but that's not the same thing, is it? And sometimes he expresses some interesting thoughts - VERY poorly - such as his comments on #metoo, which could have sparked a mature debate if people were still able to do that without running off to Twitter and all howling in agreement with each other.

I'm more bothered by his ignorant world views, his abandonment of any kind of quality control over images/media, his propensity to lie outrageously when things don't go his way (witness Bataclan, Rome, Peru), his dishonesty over 'cancer', his hypocrisy over veganism and the fact that the music isn't what it was. But he remains fascinating, for good or bad, and I still want to hear what he has to say and sing.

Last edited:
" and I don't like joining in with a shrieking, hate-filled pile-on just because everybody else is "

It's all done by certain ringleaders of the tormented to provoke reaction and get traffic flowing on here.

" and I don't like joining in with a shrieking, hate-filled pile-on just because everybody else is "

It's all done by certain ringleaders of the tormented to provoke reaction and get traffic flowing on here.
It's a bit more widespread than that, though, isn't it?

I think overt racists are just exploitive by nature and will use anything or jump on anything that can be used to justify or validate there beliefs. This behavior is obvious in there self serving logic They also just like sticking it to people they don’t like culturally meaning progressives liberal etc and claiming morrissey does that for some. I wouldn’t put to much stock in what racists like or don’t like

Not my wife you silly boy, she's upstairs teaching kids geography via zoom, not in the US where that photo's from. Jesus you are such a dumb f***er.
It's not a question of 'acceptable'. It's because I'm not sure he is and I don't like joining in with a shrieking, hate-filled pile-on just because everybody else is unless I actually agree. I think he's often embarrassingly ill-informed, but that's not the same thing, is it? And sometimes he expresses some interesting thoughts - VERY poorly - such as his comments on #metoo, which could have sparked a mature debate if people were still able to do that without running off to Twitter and all howling in agreement with each other.

I'm more bothered by his ignorant world views, his abandonment of any kind of quality control over images/media, his propensity to lie outrageously when things don't go his way (witness Bataclan, Rome, Peru), his dishonesty over 'cancer', his hypocrisy over veganism and the fact that the music isn't what it was. But he remains fascinating, for good or bad, and I still want to hear what he has to say and sing.
What worldview of his do you have an issue with? Please be specific

Back
Top Bottom