you know how Morrissey has requested a few venues he’s played in go entirely vegetarian?

fenner

I think it would be funny if all his vegan fans boycotted his shows until he wore something other than leather shoes onstage. Or maybe even refused to go to his shows until he stopped using animal products all together? I dunno. This just popped into my mind

I think it would be funny if all his vegan fans boycotted his shows until he wore something other than leather shoes onstage. Or maybe even refused to go to his shows until he stopped using animal products all together? I dunno. This just popped into my mind

You're only saying that because you're young and everything is clear. As you get older, it changes.

"The young know, the middle-aged suspect, the old believe."

-Oscar

You're only saying that because you're young and everything is clear. As you get older, it changes.

"The young know, the middle-aged suspect, the old believe."

-Oscar

Yes, but PETA don't like people wearing leather. As I've posted before, their (frankly laughable, factually incorrect multiple times) fact sheet on leather is unequivocal. I wonder how PETA squares one of their high-profile supportes wearing leather shoes?

http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-...ctsheets/leather-animals-abused-killed-skins/

My view is that if an animal is killed, for whatever reason, including meat, you may as well do it the courtesy of using as much of it as possible, so personally, I don't have a problem with a vegetarian wearing leather. But PETA do, and they need to amend their ridiculous factsheet, which is factually wrong in so many ways.

P.

My view is that if an animal is killed, for whatever reason, including meat, you may as well do it the courtesy of using as much of it as possible, so personally, I don't have a problem with a vegetarian wearing leather.

I do not wear leather as I don't like the idea of having something dead on me. But I agree, leather (unlike fur wear the animal may be killed solely for the fur) is mostly a by product of meat so at least using it minimizes the waste.
I actually struggle with my choice of non leather as my "man made material" shoes are usually made in low-cost labor countries & also made of petroleum based products which brings up all kinds of other ethical issues. It's not that simple I am afraid & I am not convinced there is really a straightforward ethical choice besides going bare foot or carving my own wooden clogs (of renewable resources of course).

Great interview. Whatever happened to that Morrissey? I miss him.

Great idea..... more chance of me getting a ticket then :thumb:

I dunno, I'm just saying, I'm vegan but I find it sort of interesting how Morrissey can compare animal cruelty and exploitation to "pedophilia" and "child abuse" while continuing to use animal products and eat animal products! I do agree that leather and some other animal products aren't a waste though, but I know that some vegans out there would have much stronger and different opinions. I think it would be even funnier to see really passionate vegans boycott him until he stopped eating chip buttys or something, even.

I know this is old, but Morrissey justifies why he wears leather shoes at the end of this interview.

I don't always expect him to be consistent. After all, he's human and also a rabble-rousing activist. But that's a fairly poor rationale for his wearing leather shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't always expect him to be consistent. After all, he's human and also a rabble-rousing activist. But that's a fairly poor rationale for his wearing leather shoes.

Yes.
It is perhaps wrong to expect anyone to be consistent. Especially as nothing is simply black or white.
Ethical arguments are often contradictory.

I considered becoming a member of PETA until I saw this:

Thanks for posting this. I used to be obsessed with Penn & Teller, but haven't seen this episode before.
The scenes where they're devouring bits of meat do sicken me, however I am equally sickened by PETA's apparent treatment of people. They appear no different from religious extremists.

I am disgusted that Morrissey would support something like this. Does he even know the truth? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, I got into an exchange, so to speak, with PETA on Twitter. I offered to amend their leather fact sheet to make it factually correct, and not unscientific hyperbole and bullshit. They refused. Ingrid Newkirk is the L Ron Hubbard of animal protection. By continuing to support PETA and the Cult Of Personality that is Newkirk, Morrissey is demeaning himself.

P.

Great interview. Whatever happened to that Morrissey? I miss him.

God knows. Back then he actually thought before he spoke or wrote and although there's flashes of the old in his autobiography, you can't help but wonder how ego corrupted he's got over the years since The Smiths days.

Back
Top Bottom