“Magic Mike” Star Joe Manganiello to Star in Film About Punk Rock Group The Smiths - Showbiz411

Roberto Ferdenzi posted the link:

Exclusive “Magic Mike” Star Joe Manganiello to Star in Film About Punk Rock Group The Smiths - Showbiz411
by Roger Friedman - May 3, 2016 12:00 pm

EXCLUSIVE “Shoplifters of the World” will star Joe Manganiello, and be produced by his brother Nick and my old friend Laura Rister (who was not my source for this story, unfortunately).

It’s a cool idea about the Smiths, Morrissey’s famous punk band. In 1987, on the night when Morrissey said the Smiths were breaking up — a sad kid brought a gun to a radio station in Denver, Colorado and locked himself inside the studio. He held everyone hostage and made them play the Smiths over and over.

“True Blood” and “Magic Mike XXL” star Manganiello will play the DJ Mickey in whom the kid, Ryan, confides. Sounds like a boon for the Smiths catalog. Maybe Morrissey can play a cameo.

GTY_joe_Manganiello_mar_140630_16x9_992-700x352.jpg

UPDATE May 4:

Joe Manganiello Making Smiths Movie Shoplifters of the World, With Morrissey's Approval - Pitchfork

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting. i've heard about this being a possibility for a few years now, at one point i believe Jeremy Allen White (who plays lip on the american version of Shameless) was set to star in the movie, with Stephen Kijak (who directed 30 Century Man) set to direct, but I can't find much about their involvement anymore online. Wonder if the screenplays been passed along.

.@morrisseysolo here's what Moz said about the incident in his book: https://t.co/KzMQUGxRf6 - @torrHL / Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Magic Mike star Joe Manganiello to star in film about The Smiths

Hmmm, we'd better revisit this thread

Last edited:
Re: Exclusive “Magic Mike” Star Joe Manganiello to Star in Film About Punk Rock Group The Smiths

Punk Rock band wtf

Re: Exclusive “Magic Mike” Star Joe Manganiello to Star in Film About Punk Rock Group The Smiths

The Smiths were a punk band? Hmm, okay then, whatever.

i had the same thought but whats the point of that discussion. post punk in spirit maybe i guess perhaps how soon is now kinda not really. indie pop rock yes

The Smiths were a punk band? Hmm, okay then, whatever.

Sooo punk. It's attitude not aesthetic.

With this film and the young Steven one, I'm just hoping that it creates some kind of domino effect where he ends up making more records.

interesting. i've heard about this being a possibility for a few years now, at one point i believe Jeremy Allen White (who plays lip on the american version of Shameless) was set to star in the movie, with Stephen Kijak (who directed 30 Century Man) set to direct, but I can't find much about their involvement anymore online. Wonder if the screenplays been passed along.

http://deadline.com/2012/02/ensemble-cast-join-smiths-comedy-shoplifters-of-the-world-229320/

What's next? A film about the night Morrissey didn't turn up for Wogan? Or a film about the tension between Morrissey and Jools Holland, culminating in an exciting ending where the interview turns into a verbal bloodbath? With Moz dressed in torn tee-shirt with a nose ring and 'pig killer' spray painted across his chest, cos after all he is the Pontiff of Punk.

What's next? A film about the night Morrissey didn't turn up for Wogan? Or a film about the tension between Morrissey and Jools Holland, culminating in an exciting ending where the interview turns into a verbal bloodbath? With Moz dressed in torn tee-shirt with a nose ring and 'pig killer' spray painted across his chest, cos after all he is the Pontiff of Punk.

a book from alain about how hes responsible for the mozs success or another from some guy who was iun the smiths for a second write three pages about it but still uses the smiths in the title for sales purposes

considering at the time what other bands they were in contrast to,they could be called punk(as in going against). But agree in general terms of how 'punk' is usually defined,it threw me also.

Yeah punk was not about subtlety and flourishing guitar with crooning A sexual melodies and well crafted lyrics. Need I go on?

- - - Updated - - -

Sooo punk. It's attitude not aesthetic.

For when and why it happened, it was definitely not just attitude.

- - - Updated - - -

A Movie about Rogan taking Morrissey's insults about the severed alliance.

Yeah punk was not about subtlety and flourishing guitar with crooning A sexual melodies and well crafted lyrics. Need I go on?

- - - Updated - - -

For when and why it happened, it was definitely not just attitude.

- - - Updated - - -

A Movie about Rogan taking Morrissey's insults about the severed alliance.

yeah was definitely not just about attitude or everything remotely close to being counterculture would be punk rock. american punk, hardcore, was very different than british punk rock as we didnt have as good a social safety net to fund it and the people. american hardcore was much more a social movement with bands rather than a social movement started by music and bands. that didnt come until later here in the u.s. american hardcore wasnt really influenced by british punk rock except in weird ways which is why the original bands dont sound anything alike. we couldnt get the records here but only see the pictures and read about the ideas and descriptions. the minute men didnt even know why people tuned there strings. they thought it was a personal preference like i just like my strings loose or what ever and it for sure did not start out as being political. everything got codified to a sound as people started to copy the guitar sounds of a few very original people, circle jerks im very much looking your way, but in the beginning nothing sounded similar and you could tell who were the musicians dabbling, ahem x, and who were part of the social movement. flipper sounds nothing like the screamers who sound nothing like the germs who sound nothing like gexa x who sound nothing like the minutemen who sound nothing like social distortion, who was a great musician but was also seriously part of the movement, who sounded nothing like christian death which all sounded nothing like glenn branca or soic youth and the no wave scene. black flag was incredibly original but after damaged everyone copied them, again im looking you way circle jerks, and he changed the sound immediately because of this. gregs a very smart person and very talented with i think loose nut being my fav album of theres. later everyone copied minor thtreat and that was just like the last nail in the coffin for that scene along with a bunch of other factors and they being intelligent enough to realize this started fugazi and revolution summer to keep there thing going and successfully reached new heights on there own terms. the only factor the ramones had on this music was speed which is why they dont get cited by a lot of these bands as influences. they were more of a british thing despite being american

Now this a real film not some "B" rated no budget brit film that Morrissey will stop if he hasn't already. I bet Morrissey will make a cameo since it is being produced by Americans in LA. Maybe he will wear his "Morrissey for President" shirt , which has sold out on the Mporium. Excellent marketing The Morrissey Marketing Group LTD. I reckon. WTF is a Drools Holland? Sounds like the name of a Kickball team. Anonymous-

Last edited:
Script for this has been kicking round Hollywood for a while and its not pretty, unless its had a complete rewrite.

Anyone done the extra thing on the other one? Anything to report?

Tags
shoplifters movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom