Let Me Kiss You
The National Front Disco
Dear God Please Help Me
How Soon Is Now?
I Just Want To See The Boy Happy
Life Is A Pigsty
/Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want
//Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice

This was the second of two consecutive concerts in Morrissey's hometown marking the end of a year spent extensively touring. In 1986 the Smiths were one of the first bands to play the G-Mex. This Morrissey show and the one from the previous night would be the last time gigs were to be held in this venue, because it was then to be turned into a full-time conference centre.

Morrissey was clearly on form, playful and witty. He started off very chatty then grew slightly more subdued as the evening wore on. This parallelled the mood of the crowd: very energetic for the first half of the show, with a good deal of crowd surfing and people having to be removed for fear of passing out, then more subdued during the latter slower numbers. One brave soul made it on stage, but was caught by security just inches away from Morrissey. It must be said that the sound quality was better than expected, given the size of the venue and the G-Mex's reputation.

There was no change in the setlist. "Speedway" was expected to make the setlist, it had been extensively soundchecked over the previous few weeks, but it wasn't played.

Morrissey strode on stage covering his face with a Sasha Distel LP and announced "My, my, how Accrington's changed... something tells me I'm in the right place..." His performance of set opener "Panic" was very expressive. He plugged his ears when singing about "the music that they constantly play", hit one fist into his other hand during the "hang the DJ" chorus, and pretended to hang himself with his tie at the end of the song. After that he shouted "I'm cured, I'm cured!" After "First Of The Gang To Die" he said "Tonight we don't have the cameras from the South Bank Show, so... so let freedom be the essence of the night... for me!"

Morrissey added emphasis to a line in "The Youngest Was The Most Loved" by singing "We kept him from the world's glare thank God! he turned into a killer". As had become tradition he started "You Have Killed Me" by pointing at the Pasolini backdrop and singing "Pasolini is he..." Because drummer Matt was in between him and the backdrop, he joked by actually singing "Pasolini is he on drums!" This bit was usually followed by "...and Mozalini is me", but instead of that Morrissey sang "Diana Dors you would like to be", a change which usually came further in the song. He caught up in the next verse by doing "Mozalini is me, Diana Dors you will always be". This was followed by "I entered nothing much strangely, nothing entered me". Further down he sang "Question: who am I that I come to be standing here".

After that song Morrissey proceeded with the customary band introduction: "They've lodged a complaint and they said they would now like to be introduced by their real names, so on guitar Bozzy Wozzy... on bass, Gazzy Wazzy... on drums Matty Watty... Jessie Wessie... and last and by all means least, Mikey Wikey... hysterical!" As an introduction to "Ganglord" the man had a request: "Now of course... since this is what I believe is called the Christmas season, I must warn you, on your way home, generally, to watch out for drunken policemen (crowd laughs)... stoned policewomen (more laughs)... and you think I'm joking! I'm not..."

In "Ganglord" the "clock on the wall" was said to make fun and made a joke "of you all" instead of "...us all". Near the end of it Morrissey sang "get your fat ass back to the ghetto". After the song he announced "So, as you can see, I am the new Sasha Distel... but not really as good as the old one..." then turned around with a wide smile on his face. "William, It Was Really Nothing" was introduced with the funny "I would like to take you way back (crowd cheers)... Why does that make you happy? I would like to take you back to the last time I stood on this stage, which was last night, when we sang this f-f-f-f-funny little song..."

After "Irish Blood, English Heart" Morrissey went on a long rant: "I think that song is probably one of the reasons why I won't be on the Queen's new years honours list this year (crowd cheers)... however... but when you look at some of the people who have honours, like nasty Jamie Oliver (crowd boos/cheers)... who actually has an OBE... which means Obese member of the British Empire... and even the Irish singer Daniel O'Donnell (crowd boos)... who I know you love, he actually has an MBE, which is a Mad member of the British Empire, so... I think my chances of becoming king are quite slim..."

In "I Will See You In Far Off Places" Morrissey didn't sing the now near-standard live change "...I will close my mouth forever". However he did the usual live change "It's so easy for us to stand here together..." and followed it by the newish "...but it's impossible for the flesh to combine..." After the song he said "I... (crowd chants his name)... thank you, it's not necessary! I'm not necessary!" After "Girlfriend In A Coma" he cajoled his audience with "So, I used to be in this group (crowd cheers)... that, God bless me and protect me, I climbed out, I saved myself, and I lived to sing another day... and 59 years later, here I am, in Miles Platting, at the Social Club... third turn of the night, and all I have to thank is your good old selves (crowd cheers)... and me!"

Besides most of the usual live changes in "Everyday Is Like Sunday", Morrissey sang "and a strange dust lands on your hands, and on your face, on your silly face..." He also changed another line to "Everyday is silent and grey at least when you're all alone, when you're on your own, when you're all alone". Similarly in "In The Future When All's Well" he did the usual changes plus "I would lie down anywhere and be counted", "Everyday I play a pointless game called..." and the occasional "Lee, anybody, stand up and defend me".

After "I've Changed My Plea To Guilty" it was fan appreciation time for Morrissey: "So every single night of this tour, we've had the fantastic pleasure of... our friend Julia... Julia I think you'd like the microphone... (Morrissey hands her the microphone and she wishes him happy holidays; Morrissey giggles and says) Thank you... (takes an envelope from someone in the front row) this is money... and we've also had the pleasure of the irregular regulars... of whom you are, like it or not... Boz? Boz? Jesse? Yes... "

After "Dear God Please Help Me" someone shouted "Thank you!" and Morrissey replied "Finally you say it, finally!" In "How Soon Is Now?" he sang "...of a shyness that is criminal and vulgar", and further down, "you could meet somebody who actually likes you", "and you go home and you cry and then you die... die..." and "see I've already waited too long aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!" During the song's powerful live finale he dramatically lied on the floor - as if he was dead - in the middle of a round spotlight. When the song ended and he got up, he picked up the microphone and said "And now is not the time for wisdom..." Before main set closer "Life Is A Pigsty" he simply said "So before you all nod off..."

When Morrissey and his musicians returned to the stage for the first encore, the musicians hoisted the singer onto Boz and Jessie's shoulders and they carried him across the stage. Morrissey was beaming and couldn't stop laughing. Then, as was custom, they all lined up and bowed, and as the musicians were returning to their respective spots, Morrissey said "We'd like to thank you for giving us a fantastic year... we've, would you believe it, a hell of a lot of laughs... and we'd like to thank our beloved crew without whom we would look very silly... I'd like to thank the band for being so incredibly macho... May God bless you and maybe I'll see you somewhere at some time, God knows..."

Following "Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want" there was another break and when Morrissey returned to the stage for the last time, he replied to someone's shout with "What? I'm only one small china man, I can't do everything!" After the final song, he picked up from the drum rise the same Sasha Distel LP he had covered his face with when he had come on stage, and exited in the same fashion.

BOOTLEGS

An audience video recording of the complete concert (minus the endings of "Let Me Kiss You" and "Life Is A Pigsty") is circulated on DVD bootlegs (recorder: G.O'G.). The footage is mostly of the screen next to the stage and is slightly shaky at times. A montage from this recording and that of the first G-Mex show the night before is also in circulation.

The audio was ripped from the video recording and is circulated on its own. However collectors might prefer a good fanmade audio-only recording of the complete concert which doesn't lack the endings of the two songs mentioned earlier. The quality is more or less the same. It is often seen with artwork under the title "Panic At The G-Mex 2006".

information from the passions just like mine site

However collectors might prefer a good fanmade audio-only recording of the complete concert which doesn't lack the endings of the two songs mentioned earlier. The quality is more or less the same. It is often seen with artwork under the title "Panic At The G-Mex 2006".

recorded by Hit The North & artwork by Hit The North aswell. ;)

Back
Top Bottom