30 years of fandom

Skylarker

People come second, or possibly third.
It occurred to me this morning that I've been listening to Morrissey since the Summer of 1991. Pretty obsessively. Still my top artist. Still a huge fan.

Found him when I was 15. Caricature lonely kid; had just moved. Didn't really have any friends, definitely no girlfriend. Didn't think that would ever change.

His lyrics and presentation gave me a perspective and a solace and an OK to self-accept that I would not have had otherwise. Not to mention untold hours of visceral joy from the music itself. When I first heard Our Frank on the radio (WXRT in Chicagoland) I knew this dude was cut from a WAY different cloth than anything else I'd ever heard or ever would hear. Extremely smart, funny, in pain, and invulnerable all at once.

I immediately voraciously scooped up everything that had been released up to that point and I haven't stopped since, even though I am a totally different person than I was as a kid.

Just wondering if anyone else wants to recall how/when they got into him.

It occurred to me this morning that I've been listening to Morrissey since the Summer of 1991. Pretty obsessively. Still my top artist. Still a huge fan.

Found him when I was 15. Caricature lonely kid; had just moved. Didn't really have any friends, definitely no girlfriend. Didn't think that would ever change.

His lyrics and presentation gave me a perspective and a solace and an OK to self-accept that I would not have had otherwise. Not to mention untold hours of visceral joy from the music itself. When I first heard Our Frank on the radio (WXRT in Chicagoland) I knew this dude was cut from a WAY different cloth than anything else I'd ever heard or ever would hear. Extremely smart, funny, in pain, and invulnerable all at once.

I immediately voraciously scooped up everything that had been released up to that point and I haven't stopped since, even though I am a totally different person than I was as a kid.

First heard him in 1989 or 1990. Couldn't believe what I was hearing was from a contemporary artist.

Excellent post.
Vaguely (very vaguely) recall Smiths but it was hearing Suedehead that did it. 33 years later, thousands upon thousands spent, many countries visited, and an early start on Saturday to snatch a green Bona Drag, it’s still going strong:
I’ve seen Morrissey on every tour his done, except the ill fated 2013 one. Don’t agree with all what he says but, who’s cares. Sadly I don’t have the “Box set” excrement troll Vegan Cro babbles on about 🙄🤙

Crackedpots, welcome back 😐
you too can claim to have attended all tours HE'S done, just make sure there are set lists 'provided'
online for the shows you claim as attending😳

🇭🇷>:hammer:

All started with the Smiths for me & Hatful of Hollow. Totally unique, lyrically & musically. I was pondering starting a similar thread but guessed it had probably been done before, so thanks for starting this one. What I can't work out is why the Smiths, & Morrissey in particular, are such an obsession of mine, & for others, even to this day?
I'd be lost without them, especially Moz, tbh. Sad (maybe) but true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fan since the Queen is dead Album, 19 years of age. Been aware of the first two albums, the first one i didn’t like very much because of the „tired“ singing :)
35 years later i still love him and his lovely singing voice. The greatest artist of my Life for sure.
Thank you Moz!

Started with The Smiths for me as well, my mate had a spare ticket for the Palace Theatre gig in 85, I only knew one song at the time but went along anyway, thought they were ok but a bit weedy compared to how they sounded on William. I saw them again at the Summer of the 1oth festival gig in 86 and they were like a completely different band, solid, confident and really powerful (Gannon had joined at this point) From then on I was really into them. The last time I saw them was the ill fated Preston gig a couple of months later where some arsehole threw a coin and hit Morrissey on the head during the opener, the Queen is Dead, so that was that.

When he went solo I wasn't sure what to expect and I was really surprised at how good the early albums were. I never actually saw him live until 95 on The Boxers tour, at Sheffield City Hall after that I was hooked good and proper. I had no idea that gig was being filmed for the Introducing Morrissey video, so was pretty shocked when the mate I went to see The Smiths with rang to say that I was on the video looking extremely drunk on the stage!

About two years ago, I heard the song Sweetie Pie
and then went ahead and wanted to hear more Moz.
Also heard that Moz was in a group called The Smiths,
which I plan on checkin' out too!

:hammer: Crackedpots, welcome back 😐
you too can claim to have attended all tours HE'S done, just make sure there are set lists 'provided'

Bless. My own personal stalker/troll.
How sweet. The biggest dunce in the states. Croatia - you’ve never seen it, ya daft tw@t.

Cro. The odd time you’re amusing but babe, you’re really boring for the most part. Let’s have some new material. Dribbling spastic.:hammer:

Crackedpots, welcome back 😐

Haven't seen a show of his since late 2006. Not really much of a concertgoer. And I hate Chicago.

Started with The Smiths for me as well, my mate had a spare ticket for the Palace Theatre gig in 85, I only knew one song at the time but went along anyway, thought they were ok but a bit weedy compared to how they sounded on William. I saw them again at the Summer of the 1oth festival gig in 86 and they were like a completely different band, solid, confident and really powerful (Gannon had joined at this point) From then on I was really into them. The last time I saw them was the ill fated Preston gig a couple of months later where some arsehole threw a coin and hit Morrissey on the head during the opener, the Queen is Dead, so that was that.

When he went solo I wasn't sure what to expect and I was really surprised at how good the early albums were. I never actually saw him live until 95 on The Boxers tour, at Sheffield City Hall after that I was hooked good and proper. I had no idea that gig was being filmed for the Introducing Morrissey video, so was pretty shocked when the mate I went to see The Smiths with rang to say that I was on the video looking extremely drunk on the stage!
Yeah I agree that they were kind of thin sounding live except for with Gannon. Then again I have only heard bootlegs.

Haven't seen a show of his since late 2006. Not really much of a concertgoer. And I hate Chicago.

:)

you dont really have to attend. just say you ve been in many countries
(important point: if you claim to attend in the USA or UK make sure
you can communicate in English:)) etc etc. and follow skinny as your leader. all trolls
will then agree with your bizarre claims. any problems, 'provide' a 'setlist'
of the interwebs.:hammer:

well ill tell you the origins of my moz fandom but im not particularly sentimental about it at all. it was like 5 years ago or something, a friend had sent me a link to "the more you ignore me", saying that i should get into morrissey because im "practically lady morrissey". i was like "meh" but decided id listen to another song or two just to make an effort, because im good like that, and that was when i stumbled upon "i have forgiven jesus" and if you dont know about my thing for tortured men of god, well, what do you know. anyway, this happened to be around the same time that morrissey announced that he had cancer, so you could say that my new obsessive love for him (i dont know if y'all have noticed but when i like something new it often takes on the form of an obsession) coincided with my certainty that he was going to die. i knew it was over and it never even really began. so i went to see him in december of that year in dublin and sobbed in my seat when he sang "asleep" at the end, because i had fallen for his drama, hook, line, and sinker, not knowing at the time that it was classic morrissey. i had also fasted so much beforehand so that i would be prepared to die too when he died, and had got to such a low weight and was walking all over dublin with horrendous sciatica and falling down jeans in the freezing cold and getting mad when they accidentally put cream in my coffee and it was glorious.

i like suede now.

hi, by the way! nice to see you. you should know however that ive found someone to take your place. his name is born to harangue and he's much better at the fawning than you are, you were always quite lousy and inadequate at it, never even calling me 'queen' once. would you believe that born to harangue actually recorded the suede coming up documentary off of his tv simply because i had a hankering to see my sweet ringleted little sylph swan about in leather? now THAT'S a keeper. :love:

First heard of the old Mozzer at a Swedish TV show back in 2001. I was 16. It was a short documentary on the Morrissey fandom, and it was followed by a viewing of the 1983 Derby Hall Show. I was quite intrigued and spent the next day scouring the record stores in my lil' hometown for anything by The Smiths, but went home emptyhanded and disappointed. After that, I kind of forgot about him. A year later I heard TIALTNGO and understood immediately that it was something quite special. After that there was no way out. 2003 was an obsessive year, 2004 as well. So were many of the subsequent years.

He's given me comfort, made me calm, made me feel less alone. All the old clichés. But they're all true. I might not agree with everything he's said these last few years, and I might not play his records as often as I used to, but he's been good to me (including that glorious one time I got to meet him, at the Autobiography signing in 2013) and that's why I'll always love him. I might criticise him and some of his latter day work, but I won't stop loving him nor vacate that special place in my heart that he's occupied for nearly 20 years.

Viva Moz!

I was lucky enough to have a sister who bought the first Smiths album on the day it came out and taped it for me. I lay in bed that night, pressed play on my Walkman and within 30 seconds of the start of "Reel Around the Fountain" it genuinely felt as though my life had changed.

I reckon it was 1989. I had heard that this LA high school basketball legend that set all these records at Hollywood High was back home in LA after stories of him being kidnapped and drugged in Brittin and held hostage for 2 1/2 years when he went there with Chrissie Hynde in the early 80's. I heard he was runnin' fools on the Venice Beach courts and Malibu Rec. I had to see it for myself. I could not believe it, the legend California Son was right in front of me. I saw him dunk on Magic Johnson at a pick up game at Pan Pacific Park and he is only 5'8" chipper curry he doesn't live in LA anymore impostor photo ops fake flower house inn n nnn nn n it.

hollywood high.jpg

steve basket small.jpg

Air Morrissey.jpg

Back
Top Bottom