a boy in the bush...

nightandday

I used to think that the line 'a boy in the bush is worth two in the hand' was a wonderful example of Morrissey's wit...until, in my ongoing investigations of the fascinating world of English slang, I came upon this website yesterday: Dictionary of Sexual Terms As it turns out, it didn't take a helluova lot of imagination to come up with that line. :rolleyes:

http://www.sex-lexis.com/Sex-Dictionary/push in the bush is worth two in the hand, a

"push in the bush is worth two in the hand, a:

Jocular C19 th British expression punning the expression: ' A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush ', stating the fact that an act of copulation is worth two acts of masturbation . See copulation for synonyms."

http://www.sex-lexis.com/Sex-Dictionary/bush

"bush:
Colloquial term for:
1. The pubic-hair and genital area, especially that of a woman . Bush is one of the most enduring terms for pubic-hair . Damber bush, dilberry bush, furze(-bush), quim-bush , Fort-Bushy and others like it have all fallen into obsoleteness. See penis and vagina for synonyms.

Quotes:

(1) Booger (Curtis Armstrong) in Revenge of the Nerds (1984): ' This is bullshit - I want bush! '

(2) Anonymous limerick: ' Heres to America, land of the push / Where a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush / But if in that bush a fair maiden should stand / Then a push in the bush is worth two in the hand .'

(3) ' One orgasm in the bush is worth two in the hand .' From Graffiti. Two Thousand Years of Wall Writing by Robert Reisner."

Merge this with D.H.Lawrence's "A Boy In The Bush", and there you have it...

I wonder if any of you native speakers knew that there had already been such an expression? I had no idea.

(Speaking of that website, it's full of surprises, well, for me at least. I couldn't believe what they give as 19th century slang meaning of arsenal. And an even bigger shock was to find out about the expression performing a pearl jam! :eek: :D :D )

interesting link....

yes, someone has posted the boy in the bush meaning here before. lol.

never heard of "pearl jam" meaning....... they are supposed to be named after eddies grandma's psychedelic jam.... but now who knows

interesting link....

yes, someone has posted the boy in the bush meaning here before. lol.

never heard of "pearl jam" meaning....... they are supposed to be named after eddies grandma's psychedelic jam.... but now who knows
I know what Pearl Jam were supposed to be named after, so it's very funny if they named themselves after that other meaning and then told the press the story about Grandma's Pearl's jam...and then were probably laughing their heads off that people believed them. :D

I knew what 'a boy in the bush is worth two in the hand' means, but I didn't know that it was an expression, I thought Morrissey had come up with that. Oh well...

He may well of thought he'd come up the said phrase, have you never thought of a line of verse only to discover it's something already written.

if you must write prose/poems
the words you use should be your own
dont plagiarise or take "on loan"
there's always someone, somewhere
with a big nose, who knows
:D

George Bush is a .......

[QUOTE="bush:
Colloquial term for:
1. The pubic-hair and genital area, especially that of a woman .(Quote)

Is it therefore acceptable and legitimate to call George W Bush a c**t? :D

Jukebox Jury

Re: George Bush is a .......

hehehe..it is perfectly acceptable :)

shaven......no....waxed yes :p

shaven......no....waxed yes
:eek: :eek:

bush:
Colloquial term for:
1. The pubic-hair and genital area, especially that of a woman .(Quote)

Is it therefore acceptable and legitimate to call George W Bush a c**t? :D

Jukebox Jury
slidebeavisbushbuttheadly1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom