About Manchester by Mancunians (or their neighbours)

fredhenson

Hi,
I live in London and am currently applying for university. I would love to go to Manchester, or at least I think I would. I cannot deny that my choice has been influenced by Morrissey and images from A taste of Honey, Control i.e. before the new Manchester. The industrial beauty really appeals to me, but I am aware Manchester has undergone a serious face lift. Can any insiders give me their opinions on living in the new Manchester?
Honesty appreciated, please no "Norvven 'till I die, F***k off south" attitudes please

Well to me it's the same Manchester - certainly where I live in Moston, (north of the city centre) nothing has changed for years:eek:

Sure the city centre has changed beyond recognition, every square inch of wasteland or derelict mill / factory is now a 'Yuppie Apartment'.

Perhaps drop Sister Steve a private message, she is a student from 'outside' the city now studying here, she can give you more of a idea than me as her perspective will be a lot nearer to yours than mine. But dont expect a reply today, she will be getting plastered in a bar somewhere celebrating her birthday:cool:

Jukebox Jury

Hi,
I live in London and am currently applying for university. I would love to go to Manchester, or at least I think I would. I cannot deny that my choice has been influenced by Morrissey and images from A taste of Honey, Control i.e. before the new Manchester. The industrial beauty really appeals to me, but I am aware Manchester has undergone a serious face lift. Can any insiders give me their opinions on living in the new Manchester?
Honesty appreciated, please no "Norvven 'till I die, F***k off south" attitudes please

For Control, didn't they have to film it in Nottingham?

Perhaps it's Nottingham you've really fallen for?

He'll soon snap out of that when he visits ;)

Yes, I have mixed thoughts about Nottingham!

A neighbour/friend recently got a job at the University in Nottingham. After visiting to search for somewhere to live, she opted to commute from Manchester, rather than live there.

Yes, I have mixed thoughts about Nottingham!

A neighbour/friend recently got a job at the University in Nottingham. After visiting to search for somewhere to live, she opted to commute from Manchester, rather than live there.

Two of my very best friends are from Nottingham and they turned out to be intelligent, funny and beautiful so I suppose it isn't all that bad (although one now lives in Chelsea and the other one lives in a 'posh' part on the outskirts of the city!) Plus, on my last visit, a trendy bar there played Hand in Glove.

My boyfriend (The Spirit Of '69) studied in Manchester before the IRA bombs, and didn't go back till a couple of years ago. He reckons it's very different, but if you send him a PM he might be able to go into more detail. (I went up to review a Take That gig in '95 and didn't go back till a couple of years ago, but I was drunk for most of the visit. Actually, I've been drunk for most visits since, too.)

Edit - forgot to say: it's about seven thousand times better than London.

Two of my very best friends are from Nottingham and they turned out to be intelligent, funny and beautiful so I suppose it isn't all that bad (although one now lives in Chelsea and the other one lives in a 'posh' part on the outskirts of the city!) Plus, on my last visit, a trendy bar there played Hand in Glove.

On my last visit, I went into a bar that was full of blokes in black curly wigs! But I had a very nice curry there!

My boyfriend (The Spirit Of '69) studied in Manchester before the IRA bombs, and didn't go back till a couple of years ago. He reckons it's very different, but if you send him a PM he might be able to go into more detail. (I went up to review a Take That gig in '95 and didn't go back till a couple of years ago, but I was drunk for most of the visit. Actually, I've been drunk for most visits since, too.)

Edit - forgot to say: it's about seven thousand times better than London.

There is no alcohol strong enough to encourage me into a Take That gig, work or not!!

I'm not a Mancunian (or a neighbour) but I've always enjoyed my trips there, and I visit a few times a year.
I prefer the city itself to some of the outskirts. I wouldn't stay in Prestwich again, not a great area. And one of the estate pubs Stretford way refused to serve me for not being a local (eventually went to a great pub called The Drum which got shut down by riot police later that night) But that might have been something to do with it being a football day.

I'm not a Mancunian (or a neighbour) but I've always enjoyed my trips there, and I visit a few times a year.
I prefer the city itself to some of the outskirts. I wouldn't stay in Prestwich again, not a great area. And one of the estate pubs Stretford way refused to serve me for not being a local (eventually went to a great pub called The Drum which got shut down by riot police later that night) But that might have been something to do with it being a football day.

Prestwich! You didn't stay at the Premier Inn did you? Next to Tesco?

For Control, didn't they have to film it in Nottingham?

One thing that amuses me here is a friend of mine from Nottingham proudly declared that 'Control' was filmed in Nottingham.
He thought less proudly when I told him that Manchester was not suitable for filming as it no longer represented 1979 satanic mills, derelict buildings, grim skyline and general deprevation.
Yet Nottingham in 2007 fitted the criteria beuatifully enough to get the gig:D

Mspendl is also a native of Nottingham and a big Notts Forest fan (yes Mike, I know they are not called 'Notts':p)

Jukebox Jury

I would definitely recommend Manchester for university, in fact for anyone. There's something about Manchester that I just love and I'm never going to leave! I always thought I would end up moving back to Yorkshire when I finished uni but I want to stay here for ever. It has a mixture of old industrial charm and new chic which I like. If you move a bit out of the centre you can still see the old Manchester. I love mancunians too (especially mancunian men ;)), although I don't encounter alot of them living in Fallowfield. It is a very student orientated place too, there's good nightlife (well it's got to be better than 3 club Huddersfield!). I found it a bit daunting moving to a city (obviously that won't be a problem coming from London!). I find it a bit annoying that there are too many students in Manchester, I don't really like them- I know that makes me a hypocrite but I won't be one anymore in 6 months! I prefer the real Manchester people that I encounter at work and in real pubs etc. I do like London alot, but only for a weekend or so..Manchester is definitely my favourite city in the whole world!

I would definitely recommend Manchester for university, in fact for anyone. There's something about Manchester that I just love and I'm never going to leave! I always thought I would end up moving back to Yorkshire when I finished uni but I want to stay here for ever. It has a mixture of old industrial charm and new chic which I like. If you move a bit out of the centre you can still see the old Manchester. I love mancunians too (especially mancunian men ;)), although I don't encounter alot of them living in Fallowfield. It is a very student orientated place too, there's good nightlife (well it's got to be better than 3 club Huddersfield!). I found it a bit daunting moving to a city (obviously that won't be a problem coming from London!). I find it a bit annoying that there are too many students in Manchester, I don't really like them- I know that makes me a hypocrite but I won't be one anymore in 6 months! I prefer the real Manchester people that I encounter at work and in real pubs etc. I do like London alot, but only for a weekend or so..Manchester is definitely my favourite city in the whole world!

Thanks a lot thats very helpful (and to everyone else). Your advice seems like one I can trust, we seem to have a similar criteria, apart from on the mancunian men perhaps.

There's something about Manchester that I just love and I'm never going to leave!
It has a mixture of old and new chic which I like.
I love mancunians too (especially mancunian men ;))

Steph, I thought you were keeping our relationship a secret?;)
See you tomorrow as planned, 1pm:horny:

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom