Alain Whyte: "The Never Played Symphonies" - Safe At Home Sessions (June 26, 2020)

Day 47
First thing's first. Just wanted to take a minute to say a heartfelt thank you to every one of you that has showed up for all or even just some of these #SafeAtHome sessions vids. It's been amazing connecting with all of you during what has been, at best, a very trying time for many. You've helped me personally with all of your kind words, love and support the last couple of months, especially and it has been my sincere pleasure to share these songs with you. I hope it's been mutual and you were/are able to take something positive away from this in some way. Love to you all
❤️

Also, would like to say that while these sessions are going on hiatus, there is something just around the corner that is pretty exciting and will be shared asap. So, don't go too far!
Lastly and most importantly, I wanted to mention the following. This is a special song and as such has a special dedication attached. This song is my mum's favorite ever co-write I did with Morrissey and is dedicated to her. I love you mum
❤️

This song is The Never Played Symphonies

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Thanks Alain - really enjoyed the performances - a very selfless act of kindness to give us your time ...

princesolo.com is next door,looks like a good set though,mates a huge prince fan need to see if hes got this.
gaylord just checked the price of this on amazon,£200 prince would be turning in hs grave.much did you pay for yours.

Last edited:
alain bowing out,good song,thought he was going to go without his salute at the end,nope he pulls it back at the end,good guy.

princesolo.com is next door,looks like a good set though,mates a huge prince fan need to see if hes got this.
gaylord just checked the price of this on amazon,£200 prince would be turning in hs grave.much did you pay for yours.
Just pre-ordered mine (cd) - £145.
A large % exists on various boots, but this is really worth having. The vinyl one is even better, but is just too pricey.
Also this:
FB_IMG_1593333385093.jpg

For the 40th anniversary along with the Love Will... /Atmosphere/Transmission 12" bundle.

On to Alain...
Well, I appreciated his efforts and a lot of the less jaded feedback is very positive and people have managed to be grateful or not say anything if it 'hurts' them that much to hear him.
I enjoyed the snippets of information from Twitter and seeing him play songs that he clearly loves.
I have collated all of them incase they vanish from the Internet - as, believe it or not, some appreciate hearing him. Which is why he's been a discussion topic on here from the outset.
Thank you Alain.
FWD.

A large % exists on various boots, but this is really worth having. The vinyl one is even better, but is just too pricey.
Also this:View attachment 57306
For the 40th anniversary along with the Love Will... /Atmosphere/Transmission 12" bundle.

On to Alain...
Well, I appreciated his efforts and a lot of the less jaded feedback is very positive and people have managed to be grateful or not say anything if it 'hurts' them that much to hear him.
I enjoyed the snippets of information from Twitter and seeing him play songs that he clearly loves.
I have collated all of them incase they vanish from the Internet - as, believe it or not, some appreciate hearing him. Which is why he's been a discussion topic on here from the outset.
Thank you Alain.
FWD.
its been good to hear him do these old songs,getting them all under one banner for future reference is a good idea,cheers famous.

I pre-ordered it for € 150. It will be released on the 25th of september. Really can’t wait that long.

The best album Prince ever recorded. Absolutely brilliant.

Reflecting from my deathbed
I'm balancing life's riches against the ditches
And the flat gray years in between
All I can see are the never-laid
That's the never-played symphonies

I can't see those who tried to love me
All those who felt they understood me
And I can't see those who very patiently put up with me
All I can see are the never-laid
Or the never-played symphonies

You were one, you meant to be one
And you jumped into my face and laughed
And kissed me on the cheek
And then were gone forever not quite

Black sky in the daytime
And I don't much mind dying
When there is nothing left to care for anymore
Just the never-laid, the never-played symphonies

You were one, you knew you were one
And you slipped right through my fingers
No not literally but metaphorically
And now you're all, I see as the light fades
I love him.
I love him.
I love him.

Thank you very much, Alain.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Cheers!

Also this:View attachment 57306

On to Alain...
Thank you Alain.
FWD.
Thanks to Alain.

And thank you, FWD, for your
tireless work and dedication in bringing to our attention all Morrissey/Morrissey related stuff. XO

“And you slipped right through my fingers
No not literally but metaphorically”

Did anyone else wince when they first heard these lines? A blemish on an otherwise perfect song, I feel.
I always felt it was a deliberate kind of clunky - to draw attention to the fact that he couldn't have the person physically. I've always rather liked it.

How will we ever work out who this person is!!! Thousands of people have chucked themselves at him over the years!

Really? Looking back on his life, he imagines all the 'symphonies' which might have been played had somebody not 'slipped through his fingers'. Somebody who burst into his life out of the blue, platonically ('laughed and kissed me on the cheek') who then vanished but can never really be gone 'forever'? Come on, it couldn't be more obvious if he'd called it The Never-Played Shimmering Arpeggios.

Marr.jpg

I always felt it was a deliberate kind of clunky - to draw attention to the fact that he couldn't have the person physically. I've always rather liked it.

I agree, very Carry On.

Really? Looking back on his life, he imagines all the 'symphonies' which might have been played had somebody not 'slipped through his fingers'. Somebody who burst in out of the blue, someone platonic ('laughed and kissed me on the cheek') who then vanished but can never really be gone 'forever'? Come on, it couldn't be more obvious if he'd called itThe Never-Played Shimmering Arpeggios :LOL:

View attachment 57313

Please say you’re joking.

Please say you’re joking.

Not at all - I don't think this song could be more obvious if it tried. Why wouldn't Moz look back at the Smiths split as he reviews his whole life - 'the riches... the ditches and the flat grey years in-between'? Why else refer to 'symphonies' and someone who disappeared? It's no stretch.

Last edited:
Not at all - I don't think this song could be more obvious if it tried. Are you going to say it's about the bloke on the 42 bus, again?

I don’t believe it’s about one particular person. And the ‘Symphonies’ is not about music.

‘Never played symphonies’ = life/love experiences that will never happen to him and his acceptance of that.

I don’t believe it’s about one particular person. And the ‘Symphonies’ is not about music.

‘Never played symphonies’ = life/love experiences that will never happen to him and his acceptance of that.
I guess that’s how I always understood the song.

I agree with this actually, but I don't see how that excludes the loss of Johnny and the band at all. The song isn't looking forward to things that might come, it's looking back at things that have gone. He explicitly says that he 'can't see' any of the worthwhile things that might have been (people who tried to love him, partners etc) - only those that slipped through his fingers. I don't disagree with your view, I just don't see how it excludes the loss of Johnny at all. The kiss on the cheek - to me, that shows it's not about a partner.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom