Alain Whyte's band, Stadium, play 'This Charming Man', interview - SoundCheck Live

Comment from Alain : "Been getting asked what Morrissey song did we do. This is the track we covered. Sounds pretty great considering it is live and not our own back line. The amps belonged to the Lucky Strike house band who are red hot. Please share and let everyone know. We will be playing really soon so keep a eye out for Stadium."

Also, an interview at the link posted by Jimmy / Facebook:

SoundCheck Live at Lucky Strike Hollywood with Stadium - KTLA 5

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the more recent one than that was the auctioning of the guitar he wrote morrissey songs on

You're correct - that was in February. He also posted one or two times in the latter part of 2015 or early part of 2016 about his friendships with Spencer and Gary, however they concerned the friendships primarily and Morrissey indirectly.

But my point remains that it is not accurate to characterize these posts as "constant." And, frankly, if they - or his occasional responses to Morrissey-related questions - rankle the poster in question so much, the simple solution is to stop following Alain on FB.

Yes. He actually started the project. I believe the first gig was in support an LA animal shelter. Which one would think a certain person we know could get behind in spirit. Right now, they are doing it for fun but hinted at working on an album of originals.

Constant? He rarely posts on FB these day and most times his posts concern either his (very charming) family or his songwriting work. I think the last time he posted something Morrissey-related - not replied to a friend comment, note the distinction - was for the 20th anniversary of Southpaw Grammar in August 2015. And he was quite rightly proud of it and respectful to Morrissey.

Be careful with this generalization. Some of us had caught a whiff of "bullshit" about the personnel change very early on in Jesse's tenure - and were noting his deficiencies from the first American tour. And the people who vocally criticized Alain in those days mostly did so on the basis of his unpardonable sin of not being Johnny Marr.

(And, yes, Jesse's unpardonable sin is that he is not Alain Whyte...;) The rhythm of life goes round, etc.)
How refreshing to hear some common sense around here which is not common around here.

Another comment from Alain:

"Morrissey is an exceptional lyricist. He can't play an instrument but has an amazing sense of vocal melody. He's the best lyricist I have ever worked with and is probably the best ever along with the likes of Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen. The problem with a lot of solo artists is that they can get spoiled for choice when it comes to music. Example...Madonna 15 or so writers hence inconsistency in later records but the best consistent album she did was the one she did with William Orbit. The Smiths had maybe 2 bad songs. Johnny did all the writing. They were all in their prime of there youth, looks wise. They were so originally brilliant. That's why the Smiths music was so consistent that's not a put down to Andy Rourke or Mike Joyce. The Smiths were a group. Singers are a funny bunch but you have to have the guts to be a frontman to take the flack from press."

Hasn't it already been said by Andy and Johnny that he didn't write the bass lines

Another comment from Alain:

"Morrissey is an exceptional lyricist. He can't play an instrument but has an amazing sense of vocal melody. He's the best lyricist I have ever worked with and is probably the best ever along with the likes of Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen. The problem with a lot of solo artists is that they can get spoiled for choice when it comes to music. Example...Madonna 15 or so writers hence inconsistency in later records but the best consistent album she did was the one she did with William Orbit. The Smiths had maybe 2 bad songs. Johnny did all the writing. They were all in their prime of there youth, looks wise. They were so originally brilliant. That's why the Smiths music was so consistent that's not a put down to Andy Rourke or Mike Joyce. The Smiths were a group. Singers are a funny bunch but you have to have the guts to be a frontman to take the flack from press."
I didn't need more proof but these words are another reason why I love Alain Whyte for being a big part of Morrissey's world.

It's better than what Morrissey's band can do for sure, but it just doesn't compare to Marr. No one else really does his music justice.

Hasn't it already been said by Andy and Johnny that he didn't write the bass lines
No.

Johnny provided a short and sweet answer on the subject in his Reddit AMA a couple years back: "Andy and I worked very well together. He would come up with his bass lines and I would produce him. He's unique."

I've also written about this topic at length on here before, with interview citations. See this post for example.

No.

Johnny provided a short and sweet answer on the subject in his Reddit AMA a couple years back: "Andy and I worked very well together. He would come up with his bass lines and I would produce him. He's unique."

I've also written about this topic at length on here before, with interview citations. See this post for example.

I meant that to read that marr didn't write his bass lines so we are in agreement. I actually thought of you when i posted this as I remember that convo. I also remember since I posted it the interview with Andy in the daily beast from twenty thirteen which was a pretty neat interview.wonder why Alain thinks marr wrote all the music. I mean even when you hear Andy write with morrissey again on those solo songs his bass stands out as him and his style

I meant that to read that marr didn't write his bass lines so we are in agreement. I actually thought of you when i posted this as I remember that convo. I also remember since I posted it the interview with Andy in the daily beast from twenty thirteen which was a pretty neat interview.wonder why Alain thinks marr wrote all the music. I mean even when you hear Andy write with morrissey again on those solo songs his bass stands out as him and his style
Ah, OK then. No worries.

Regarding Alain's remark about Marr doing "all the writing," given the context of that statement, I think he means it in the sense that Marr was Morrissey's sole songwriting collaborator in The Smiths, and not necessarily that Marr is responsible for absolutely every aspect of the music recorded. Marr was the only member of the band that Morrissey sat down with to piece together the skeleton of songs (chord progressions, melodies) at that point in time.

Ah, OK then. No worries.

Regarding Alain's remark about Marr doing "all the writing," given the context of that statement, I think he means it in the sense that Marr was Morrissey's sole songwriting collaborator in The Smiths, and not necessarily that Marr is responsible for absolutely every aspect of the music recorded. Marr was the only member of the band that Morrissey sat down with to piece together the skeleton of songs (chord progressions, melodies) at that point in time.

Yeah I could see that but sometimes the bass line is so much the melody of the songs music that they must have jammed the songs as a group while he at Least tweaked the vocal lines. It's hard for me to see a song like barbarism or ruffians having its vocal melody being written as just over the guitars chord changes. Maybe the nucleons of some songs started that way but changed when they played all together. His bass lines hardly just follow the root of the guitar chords or melody. Also seeing different version where lyrics and vocal melodies change makes me think they wrote some of the songs by playing all together. Have marr and Andy ever collaborated after the smiths split. That I would be really interested to see. Almost as much as him and morrissey getting back together. Sorry mike

Hey Alain. I sing a lot better than that. You wanna contact.
let me put you in the picture lemme show you what I mean...yeah yeah yeah Hi Jesse!

there is something you should know
you're the guitar player of my dreams
MD's fatty was laughing on fb right after the attack
forgetting Tomorrow's Decency

Hope will come back when you (or I...) will
Good will Hunting.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom