All The Lazy Dykes is so under-rated

JD93

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/86_adV-vK4g&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/86_adV-vK4g&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Last edited:
In Pomona I had the fortune to sit next to a delightful mexican lesbian couple who were at their first show. They even ditched class to go at the last minute. They were completely blown away. That made my day...well, in addition to seeing Morrissey of course, but I love when he reaches the non-collectors and obsessors like us. :p Just fans of great music.

It's underrated because I can't appreciate a song with a title like that.

Well at least it's not 'celibate'.

Honestly, surely Morrissey is trying to reclaim the word here? OK, as far as I know he's not a lesbian but the song is clearly not homophobic. He even seems to identify with them...'and you'll come and join the girls' (us)
I've always thought 'all the lazy dykes' is what the female protagonist of the song looks upon these women as - until her life begins. So the two main lines in the song are hers 'all the lazy dykes' and morrisseys own 'you give and you give and you GIVE and you GIVE and you GIVE') - the conversation being played out in song. and of course he said in an interview that it was about a woman he was telling to come out.

Last edited:
:
In Pomona I had the fortune to sit next to a delightful mexican lesbian couple who were at their first show. They even ditched class to go at the last minute. They were completely blown away. That made my day...well, in addition to seeing Morrissey of course, but I love when he reaches the non-collectors and obsessors like us. :p Just fans of great music.

:clap:

I've just googled "The Palms" to find out what that part of the lyrics is all about. And it is of course a lesbian bar in Los Angeles.

It's always good when Moz compels you to educate yourself about the world you live in.

Well at least it's not 'celibate'.

Honestly, surely Morrissey is trying to reclaim the word here? OK, as far as I know he's not a lesbian but the song is clearly not homophobic. He even seems to identify with them...'and you'll come and join the girls' (us)
I've always thought 'all the lazy dykes' is what the female protagonist of the song looks upon these women as - until her life begins. So the two main lines in the song are hers 'all the lazy dykes' and morrisseys own 'you give and you give and you GIVE and you GIVE and you GIVE') - the conversation being played out in song. and of course he said in an interview that it was about a woman he was telling to come out.

:clap: (I stole billy scissors response but it was just so perfect. I owe you one billy.:p)

I really love this song - one of my favorites. I don't know why people talk too less about it...anyway

I love the song. And that was a lovely performance of it.

(At 3:27 I thought for a weird moment that was Marr behind him.)

I've said on a couple occasions that I don't understand the negativity toward this fine song. Aside from it's L.A. content, the sound and imagery would've fit very well as an album track on Vauxhall. The lyrics are excellent.

Part of the derision probably has to do with the title and by extension homophobic fans (there seem to be quite a few unfortunately). Some people may just not like song, fair enough, but as usual they don't articulate why.

Edit: I'm a very here and now kind of person but man, watching that video -- the Quarry era was something special.

Last edited:
(At 3:27 I thought for a weird moment that was Marr behind him.)

And for that weird moment didn't it make you realize that it would not really be that big of a deal if they were on the same stage together so we should all shut up about it and appreciate Boz and Jesse? :D

yes, but I would like a brakedown of those polled based on their "sexual preference" :thumb:
this way we could really determine what dykes think of the song, which is what really matters, right?
pipe.gif

Back
Top Bottom