Amanda Palmer to Morrissey: Let me help you crowdsource your next album - Salon.com

Re: Amanda Palmer to Morrissey: Let me help you crowdsource your next album - salon.c

back-off-bitch.jpg

:D

Very well written, and honestly it's a fantastic idea. Morrissey just won't go for it though, he's too old fashioned ... I don't really agree with appealing to him that he doesn't have to tour, I think he honestly likes touring (and the money it brings). But yeah, I can see Morrissey viewing the whole idea of a fan-funded album as him looking weak, having to rely on his fans to fund his album (as opposed to buying it, there's not a lot of difference when you think about that), but I can just see Morrissey not wanting to be seen as some kind of washed up star who has to ask for help from fans. He much prefers the role of the cast aside hard done by star who is treated as washed up, but isn't really.

Re: Amanda Palmer to Morrissey: Let me help you crowdsource your next album - salon.c

I mostly agree with her, but I am also sympathetic for my fellow vinyl aficionados. Regardless, I don't believe for a second that Morrissey is ever going to go for this. He has this weird contradictory set of traits where he seems to despise the mainstream, but has a tremendous ego that doesn't permit to want to be an "alternative" or "indie" act. It's like he wants to make the music of Patti Smith or the New York Dolls, but be treated like Justin Beiber.

Yes, well said. No, Morrissey will never crowdsource, I agree that he'd be more likely to fund it himself if he ever went the diy route.

I just wish he would consider self release, hes done the touring on his own already. I bet he Would make more money than with a label that wants a piece of everything

Very well written, and honestly it's a fantastic idea. Morrissey just won't go for it though, he's too old fashioned ... I don't really agree with appealing to him that he doesn't have to tour, I think he honestly likes touring (and the money it brings). But yeah, I can see Morrissey viewing the whole idea of a fan-funded album as him looking weak, having to rely on his fans to fund his album (as opposed to buying it, there's not a lot of difference when you think about that), but I can just see Morrissey not wanting to be seen as some kind of washed up star who has to ask for help from fans. He much prefers the role of the cast aside hard done by star who is treated as washed up, but isn't really.

Pokey you hit the nail on the head. Saying, "Moz you won't have to tour" is in fact not a draw given the money to be made touring.

The former Smiths singer has complained that no label wants him. With such passionate fans, he does not need one
BY AMANDA PALMER salon.com

Dear Morrissey,
Given your record sales and history, let’s make a very conservative guess that 500,000 people back you (i.e., pre-order a digital album) at $5 each.
And I hope you get what you want.

500,000? Absolute bollocks! That's tons more that YOR which benefited from conventional marketing, a single on the radio, big record company backing etc.
There's a good chance he wouldn't even sell 150,000 worldwide. That's why major record companies (rightly) aren't going anywhere near...

I was stalking KY's Facebook page. They're gossiping about Amanda Palmer, it's kinda hilarious. Kristeen wants to establish that she's pissed on Morrissey's leg already and has him right where she wants him. All of her sycophants are following suit, it's like a psychology lesson in herding and dominance over there, very entertaining. :D

OR she's trying to make up for throwing him under the Bowie bus. :rofl:

This could only have been written by a Morrissey fan. :lbf: :love:

Love her.

Last edited by a moderator:

I was stalking KY's Facebook page. They're gossiping about Amanda Palmer, it's kinda hilarious. Kristeen wants to establish that she's pissed on Morrissey's leg already and has him right where she wants him. All of her sycophants are following suit, it's like a psychology lesson in herding and dominance over there, very entertaining. :D

OR she's trying to make up for throwing him under the Bowie bus. :rofl:

I saw this. I could've thrown myself into the mix and been all

"Well, the alternative for all of his fans now is to wait for new music until he gets a deal that pleases him. I want to hear the goddamned songs, I couldn't give a damn about his pride. His refusal to act practically in this situation not only shows his indifference toward the music in favor of the industry, it is costing his fans and the world new music from a legendary artist. He turned down an opportunity to release music with Sony because the offer wasn't good enough for him; under that deal, could he have released new music that would have reached his fans and new ears? Yes. But he didn't. And so it begs the question, what is really more important to Morrissey? Keeping with a legacy that there be a big corporate name brandished on his original art -- in essence saying, 'I really couldn't (or wouldn't) have done this without a company that doesn't actually care about me' -- or making that art? Perspective: the Smiths released The Queen is Dead -- one of the most acclaimed albums of all time -- before landing a major record deal."

But I knew better with that lot.

I saw this. I could've thrown myself into the mix and been all

"Well, the alternative for all of his fans now is to wait for new music until he gets a deal that pleases him. I want to hear the goddamned songs, I couldn't give a damn about his pride. His refusal to act practically in this situation not only shows his indifference toward the music in favor of the industry, it is costing his fans and the world new music from a legendary artist. He turned down an opportunity to release music with Sony because the offer wasn't good enough for him; under that deal, could he have released new music that would have reached his fans and new ears? Yes. But he didn't. And so it begs the question, what is really more important to Morrissey? Keeping with a legacy that there be a big corporate name brandished on his original art -- in essence saying, 'I really couldn't (or wouldn't) have done this without a company that doesn't actually care about me' -- or making that art? Perspective: the Smiths released The Queen is Dead -- one of the most acclaimed albums of all time -- before landing a major record deal."

But I knew better with that lot.

I'm a little confused why Tony Visconti is hopping on the gossip train. I think it's because he has to protect his interests in keeping Morrissey enamored with Kristeen so Morrissey can babysit her and give her artistic relevance so he can spend his time with artists who will actually go somewhere. Maybe a bit harsh but they're sorta showing their true colors over there instead of talking about the issue. Awwwwww, the power of gardening. :cool:

could either of you provide a screen grab to this conversation please? some of us are not privy. thanks.

could either of you provide a screen grab to this conversation please? some of us are not privy. thanks.

It's not there now. Either she deleted the whole conversation or I'm a technotard and am looking in the wrong place, both options are possible. :D The jist was she called Amanda Palmer out for being a crusader for helping Morrissey when she knows that Morrissey would never do that, so the idea is not even up for discussion. Then she proceeded to tarnish Amanda Palmer's character by saying that she doesn't pay her band or something, Tony chimed in with industry insider tidbits regarding that claim and all the Morrissey clinger-ons were saying "Yeah, I hate her too, if you hate her I hate her. Meh!!!!" etc, etc..

It's not there now. Either she deleted the whole conversation or I'm a technotard and am looking in the wrong place, both options are possible. :D The jist was she called Amanda Palmer out for being a crusader for helping Morrissey when she knows that Morrissey would never do that, so the idea is not even up for discussion. Then she proceeded to tarnish Amanda Palmer's character by saying that she doesn't pay her band or something, Tony chimed in with industry insider tidbits regarding that claim and all the Morrissey clinger-ons were saying "Yeah, I hate her too, if you hate her I hate her. Meh!!!!" etc, etc..

Oh. I see. Thanks for the explanation. Shame it was deleted.

I read the thread before it was deleted. Kristeen posted a Pitchfork link about Amanda’s letter and then stated her negative opinion about it (Amanda's letter). She didn’t ban discussion, and there *were* dissenting views.

No one was “gossiping” about Amanda. It’s true that some people said they couldn’t stand Amanda for various reasons, but some posted that they liked her. And some posted legitimate issues with parts of her open letter. And they also discussed the FACT that Amanda originally chose to not pay some of her musicians during her latest tour, and the FACT that she changed her mind, after a lot of public protest, and paid them. Amanda herself has blogged and spoken about this. This is not tarnishing her character in the slightest. Amanda is incredibly open about most things, and I seriously doubt she’d be injured by a handful of people’s opinions of her choices.

Tony V. did NOT offer up any “industry insider tidbits” about Amanda’s dealings with her musicians. He merely stated his negative opinion of her Kickstarter campaign. Which he’s allowed to have, and which he’s allowed to state.

It’s one thing to dislike Kristeen and her fans, but it’s another to misrepresent things. You can go ahead and call me a sycophant now, too, despite the fact that I disagree with *plenty* of things Kristeen, Amanda, AND Morrissey (gasp!) have said, but I love them all. I think Amanda’s made a good choice for herself, and I think she’s made some good points about why a DIY approach might work for Morrissey.

Not that he'll try it.

In 2006, AP sat next to me @ M's SXSW interview. Her genuine love & admiration for Moz was clear to me in the 10 minutes she & I talked before the interview. I think Moz should take her up on her offer. But I think it's a pride thing. I think Moz in his way sees this almost as a demotion, as being below him. But he needs to just bite his lip, swallow his pride and grab the opportunity. It's his to take, it's waiting for him.

One of the most anticipated events in life for me is getting a new Morrissey album. But if the songs are as bad as 'kid's a looker, people same then I'd rather he stay in the wilderness. Action is okay but not up to par.

- marred.

I read the thread before it was deleted. Kristeen posted a Pitchfork link about Amanda’s letter and then stated her negative opinion about it (Amanda's letter). She didn’t ban discussion, and there *were* dissenting views.

No one was “gossiping” about Amanda. It’s true that some people said they couldn’t stand Amanda for various reasons, but some posted that they liked her. And some posted legitimate issues with parts of her open letter. And they also discussed the FACT that Amanda originally chose to not pay some of her musicians during her latest tour, and the FACT that she changed her mind, after a lot of public protest, and paid them. Amanda herself has blogged and spoken about this. This is not tarnishing her character in the slightest. Amanda is incredibly open about most things, and I seriously doubt she’d be injured by a handful of people’s opinions of her choices.

Tony V. did NOT offer up any “industry insider tidbits” about Amanda’s dealings with her musicians. He merely stated his negative opinion of her Kickstarter campaign. Which he’s allowed to have, and which he’s allowed to state.

It’s one thing to dislike Kristeen and her fans, but it’s another to misrepresent things. You can go ahead and call me a sycophant now, too, despite the fact that I disagree with *plenty* of things Kristeen, Amanda, AND Morrissey (gasp!) have said, but I love them all. I think Amanda’s made a good choice for herself, and I think she’s made some good points about why a DIY approach might work for Morrissey.

Not that he'll try it.

Nah, it was pretty catty. There was a part where Kristeen suggested that Morrissey could follow Amanda's lead and sing naked with his fan's twitter posts all over his body. She was discrediting her well-intentioned letter by discrediting her artistic merit. By "banning discussion" I meant KY was alluding that Amanda had no right to opine on Morrissey's career because she herself had shady dealings or something. It was all trés classy. Not sure why you care what the mental patients think anyway, anonymous. :lbf:

Apparently you have never heard of Amanda Palmer's Kickstart scam. She raised a million dollars to make an album and then when she toured she asked people to play for free in her band, so they could get tehir names out there. She's about the most hated person on Pitchfork and should leave Morrissey alone. She is using this for publicity, and if it works, she'll "help" him set up the account and collect the money.

This is one time he should surface and tell her to f*** off. It's hilarious how the top morons here think it's a good idea because it sounds like the new way things are done in your vacuum of a mind.

I mean in Kristeen's defense pretty much the sole thing I know about Amanda Palmer is that she did not pay her band members and there was rightfully a huge stink over it. There's a general trend to reducing previously paid positions to unpaid or volunteer ones where you are supposed to feel grateful to get a chance to do for free what used to be a job (hence the rise of unpaid internships). I've only experienced it in the NGO world and with some quasi-journalistic writing that I've done, but I know it's really bad in the art world. Part of it is that a lot of small places that do good work really don't have the ability to pay people, but part of it is people like Amanda Palmer who can should be paying their musicians.

Kristeen knows she's a c***. Game recognize game.

though my initial post has been completely ignored i'd also like to point out (to the 0 people who care) that there is absolutely NOTHING DIY ABOUT THIS.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom