Amanda Palmer to Morrissey: Let me help you crowdsource your next album - Salon.com

Re: Amanda Palmer to Morrissey: Let me help you crowdsource your next album - salon.c

back-off-bitch.jpg

:D

Re: Amanda Palmer to Morrissey: Let me help you crowdsource your next album - salon.c

Then she proceeded to tarnish Amanda Palmer's character by saying that she doesn't pay her band or something

uh, no, actually amanda palmer tarnished her own character...by being a shitty human being and NOT PAYING HER BAND. "or something".

People need to just let it go.
If he doesn't release anything new.
fine.
If he does...
cool.

WHY WHY WHY do 'fans' insist of new material??? The Cure still sell out stadiums with their old material!!! DM sucks after Violator. U2 sucks after Joshua Tree. Smashing Pumpkins after Infinite Sadness. Etc, etc, etc... I want to hear Kill Uncle, Arsenal, Vauxhall y Smiths!!!

Enjoyed reading her missive, even if it is a bit of a pipe-dream. She's obviously a true fan, though I'm surprised she didn't consider how important the live experience is for Moz. Many scoffed at Morrissey when he said he actually comes to see the crowd, but I do believe that to be true.

Morrissey would be able to keep more of the dosh for himself this route but he really likes having the legitimacy of a label and a staff working for him, but...

It's East Finchley on the main road, about a mile and a half from the tube. PM me when you think you may be around and I'll send you the exact address.

Please tell us all - don't keep a good record shop to yourself :)

Total idiot. State the obvious. What's new. Oooooh she so insightful.

Enjoyed reading her missive, even if it is a bit of a pipe-dream. She's obviously a true fan, though I'm surprised she didn't consider how important the live experience is for Moz. Many scoffed at Morrissey when he said he actually comes to see the crowd, but I do believe that to be true.

Morrissey would be able to keep more of the dosh for himself this route but he really likes having the legitimacy of a label and a staff working for him, but...

Absolutely true. The music industry is nothing like it previously was; with the exception of a few lucky and completely undeserving 'artists', no one is selling massive amounts. Morrissey will have to tour to stay connected with the public; and as you stated, I think that he needs that adoration. He is a gemini, he is two people, Steven and Morrissey, Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, so as shy and insecure as he may be at times, there is a fame-hungry ego lurking inside that needs to be stroked. I'm not saying that to be critical of him; in fact, that seems to be common with extremely creative people. They tend to be a bit odd, so they need public recognition to validate their work, and to avenge the mistreatment they have suffered in the past. I also have to agree with those who have stated that they would rather live with his current catalog than have him put together an album of mediocre, disaffected lyrics. He is too immportant; he needs to fight a bit harder to maintain his legacy.

I saw most of the thread on Kristeen's FB page. To my eye she never attacked the actual premise of the open letter, she went right after Amanda personally, which was irrelevant to the issue at hand. I tried to post that AP makes valid points on almost every count (which I do believe, despite the fact I don't think Morrissey will ever go for it), if you can look past the selfish fan side of her dialogue that you had to wade through to get to it. But apparently I am not allowed to post on her FB wall even though I'm "friends".

I was stalking KY's Facebook page. They're gossiping about Amanda Palmer, it's kinda hilarious. Kristeen wants to establish that she's pissed on Morrissey's leg already and has him right where she wants him. All of her sycophants are following suit, it's like a psychology lesson in herding and dominance over there, very entertaining. :D

OR she's trying to make up for throwing him under the Bowie bus. :rofl:

Of course she's gossiping. An earlier post on her FB page had her whining and crying that 'no one knows what to do with me'. Might she be a tad jealous that no one has offered her the same deal? It's easier for Kristeen to trash talk stuff like this. I unfriended her about a month ago because of the crazy shit she posts.

I have a friend who lives in Boston who is going for her doctorate in nursing and is a runner. I thought KY's comment on the Boston incident insensitive, and when I called her out on it , she babbled on about jingoism (gee that sounds familiar) and going along with the masses kinda thing, I don't know it just didn't set right as I was thinking of my friend. I figured 'screw you bitch' and I unfriended her. Seems like if you don't agree with her, she gets real nasty. Call me a 'soft person' but my friend could well have been hurt too and I found KY remark just uncalled for and uncaring. Fortunately my friend is focused on school and not running at the moment.

While I applaud Amanda Palmer's offer, I doubt that Morrissey would consider it, but it would be nice if he could at least give it a passing thought or consideration.

I'm not surprised at KY...she's cold and nasty as far as I'm concerned.

This is a lovely thought. It is up there with an end to world hunger and universal peace. I do not hate the idea, how could I? I would like a proper new material release from Morrissey as soon as possible.

That said, there is no way he would go for this based on what he has said in regards to a contract. He wants old school VIP label treatment, and who can blame him?

The VIP label treatment is only so much a thing of the past as is releasing vinyl albums, picture discs, and Morrissey himself. Based on everything Morrissey has ever said, done AND what could be extrapolated from that, it would be more likely that Morrissey would give away his next single with the purchase of a McDonald's Happy Meal than go along with this farkakte scheme, regardless of the good intent.

Please tell us all - don't keep a good record shop to yourself :)
OK. East Finchley High Street. I don't know the street number but it on the same side of the road as the famous Phoenix cinema. From the cinema, head towards the North Circular road and it is about 5 minutes walk.
Tell Alan Peter sent you.

I mean in Kristeen's defense pretty much the sole thing I know about Amanda Palmer is that she did not pay her band members and there was rightfully a huge stink over it. There's a general trend to reducing previously paid positions to unpaid or volunteer ones where you are supposed to feel grateful to get a chance to do for free what used to be a job (hence the rise of unpaid internships). I've only experienced it in the NGO world and with some quasi-journalistic writing that I've done, but I know it's really bad in the art world. Part of it is that a lot of small places that do good work really don't have the ability to pay people, but part of it is people like Amanda Palmer who can should be paying their musicians.

Sounds like she and Morrissey have a lot in common...

Amanda Palmer asked for volunteers to play a couple of shows with her and instead of offering monetary payment, offered them free beer and hugs.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/musicians-and-unions-brassed-off-after-amanda-palm,84867/

Internet darling Amanda Palmer is in a bit of hot Internet water over a plea she’s made to musical fans who play strings, saxophone, and brass. In a post on her site, she asks for skilled musicians to show up at each of her shows and play along with her. The catch: They won’t get paid. Instead of cash, Palmer promises performers merchandise, gratitude, beer, high-fives, and hugs.
While Palmer says this is meant to be a celebration of friendship and love, that’s not really how some musicians’ unions see it. They argue it’s just a way for Palmer to get out of paying the $35,000 she would normally have to fork over if she actually hired players for her tour dates. Some of those upset musicians have been posting angry, sarcastic comments on Palmer’s website, like, “I’m having a house concert at my place. You should bring your tour to my house and play for free. It’ll be great exposure for you.” And at least one musicians’ union, Seattle’s Local 76-493, has taken to Twitter to denounce Palmer’s actions.
Raymond M. Hair Jr., president of the American Federation of Musicians, told The New York Times that, as he sees it, “if there’s a need for the musician to be on the stage, then there ought to be compensation for it,” going on to note that “playing is work and there’s a value associated with it, and that value ought to be respected.”
In her defense, Palmer told the Times that all the performers are “incredibly happy to be there” and “fundamentally believe it’s worth their time and energy to show up at this gig.” “If my fans are happy and my audience is happy and the musicians on stage are happy, where’s the problem?” she asks.
Palmer’s latest record, Theatre Is Evil, was released Tuesday, following a Kickstarter campaign in which the singer raised an enormous $1.2 million. Palmer says this mostly went toward recording expenses, promotion, and touring. (And not hiring musicians, obviously.)

I was stalking KY's Facebook page. They're gossiping about Amanda Palmer, it's kinda hilarious. Kristeen wants to establish that she's pissed on Morrissey's leg already and has him right where she wants him. All of her sycophants are following suit, it's like a psychology lesson in herding and dominance over there, very entertaining. :D

But this is all totally different from what you do, right?

I'm a little confused why Tony Visconti is hopping on the gossip train. I think it's because he has to protect his interests in keeping Morrissey enamored with Kristeen so Morrissey can babysit her and give her artistic relevance so he can spend his time with artists who will actually go somewhere. Maybe a bit harsh but they're sorta showing their true colors over there instead of talking about the issue. Awwwwww, the power of gardening. :cool:

Why does Visconti need someone to look after her? They were affiliated professionally and personally for six years and two albums before Morrissey entered the picture.

Furthermore what artists in recent memory that Visconti has been involved with have significantly "gone" somewhere?

Then she proceeded to tarnish Amanda Palmer's character by saying that she doesn't pay her band or something,

...not even gonna point out the irony there.

Tony chimed in with industry insider tidbits regarding that claim and all the Morrissey clinger-ons were saying "Yeah, I hate her too, if you hate her I hate her. Meh!!!!" etc, etc..

Again, you're hardly in a position to criticize those people.

I read the thread before it was deleted. Kristeen posted a Pitchfork link about Amanda’s letter and then stated her negative opinion about it (Amanda's letter). She didn’t ban discussion, and there *were* dissenting views.

No one was “gossiping” about Amanda. It’s true that some people said they couldn’t stand Amanda for various reasons, but some posted that they liked her. And some posted legitimate issues with parts of her open letter. And they also discussed the FACT that Amanda originally chose to not pay some of her musicians during her latest tour, and the FACT that she changed her mind, after a lot of public protest, and paid them. Amanda herself has blogged and spoken about this. This is not tarnishing her character in the slightest. Amanda is incredibly open about most things, and I seriously doubt she’d be injured by a handful of people’s opinions of her choices.

Tony V. did NOT offer up any “industry insider tidbits” about Amanda’s dealings with her musicians. He merely stated his negative opinion of her Kickstarter campaign. Which he’s allowed to have, and which he’s allowed to state.

It’s one thing to dislike Kristeen and her fans, but it’s another to misrepresent things.

You mean CG was putting her own spin on things! No way. I refuse to believe this.

Because we love his new stuff!

Speak for yourself.

Because we love his new stuff!

I wouldn't say that...personally, I'm just hoping he has a few more decent songs left in him.

I wouldn't say that...personally, I'm just hoping he has a few more decent songs left in him.

I think he probably has more than a few. But I think at this point he's way more concerned with his schtick than his music.

I think he probably has more than a few. But I think at this point he's way more concerned with his schtick than his music.

Probably because these days his schtick makes him more money than the music...

Not a bad idea in theory, i'd certainly cough up, but can you just imagine the demented diatribe that would be plastered all over here?!?
"ive contributed to this album i demand input into; track listing, producers, muscians" etc etc etc

Back
Top Bottom